Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
Wondering if I should turn off the wifi on my iphone 4 when Im away from wifi service to save battery or does it not matter?

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Yes I always turn it off when I'm not connected.

The thing that kills your battery is when your phone is constantly looking for a wifi signal and there's none available.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Depends of your usage and goals. Personally, I have no problem making it through a day on one charge with wifi always on. If you often find yourself running out of power before you can get to a charger, it might be worth it to switch wifi off. Not sure how much time it will save you though.

Posts that claim it will "kill" your battery life are probably hyperbole. :)

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
It doesn't use up much battery at all, so I leave it on all the time.

I turn off "ask to join networks" though, just because it drives me mental.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
It doesn't use up much battery at all, so I leave it on all the time.

I turn off "ask to join networks" though, just because it drives me mental.

Thanks for the tip, had no idea you could turn off "ask to join". It was driving me crazy too, that's why I just turn off wifi all together when not in use.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Thanks for the tip, had no idea you could turn off "ask to join". It was driving me crazy too, that's why I just turn off wifi all together when not in use.

Yeah, try that.

If you find you can't make it through a full day, try turning it off all together, but I've found it doesn't use up much battery at all.

I like getting home and not having to turn it back on :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.