Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mailhojo

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2001
what your top three?

I say take the movie in a different direction...

1. Lisa
2. mac cube
3. iTunes Phone

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Why those three? (Just curious). Another post I saw mentioned a NeXT event as being one the three. Did he say which three or is everyone just guessing?

Apparently he said.

It seems crazy to me to not have the iPhone launch in there! That was arguably Steve's most iconic product presentation ever and is when the new era he had always been working toward actually got traction and started changing all the past of wintel!

I am excited for this. I really hope it ends up being good!

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I actually really like this idea. The thought of getting a feeling for what Jobs was like before each of those major launches (without a doubt the most significant points in Jobs' career) is really intriguing. I have a feeling I'll enjoy seeing this, unless it's just really poorly done.

jW

But remember that it will be a fantasy, spun to increase film revenue. I would guess Jobs had very few people around him before these events, focusing on what he was about to present.

southfrisco

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Say all you want, but I've seen Sorkin's work and I'm sure he wont disappoint.

I agree. Sorkin usually hits more than he misses and is probably one of the best screenwriters working today. He also knows how to write drama.

I think the idea is an interesting one. Seeing how Jobs handles the first big product launch for an up and coming Apple to the Next Cube with a new company and finally seeing him present the original iPod after his return to Apple (which was struggling mightily at the time). The rest is history. Sounds like a good idea to me.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Sounds good! But I don't get the 3 scenes thing: how those scenes, in real time, tell enough about a person? Or will there be retrospection during those scenes, like in the Social Network, where the whole thing is one scene with a bunch of "flashbacks", and the flashbacks are the dominant parts of the movie.

I mean surely 3 scenes before product launches doesn't address many important things that we probably want to see.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Absolutely Brilliant!
I've heard the story of the garage way too many times.
Looks like Sorkin has cracked it. Opens it up to be about the drama and characters, tightly focused on 3 critical eras.
I can't wait for this.
For those who want a traditional bio-pic, just go rent Pirates of Silicon Valley.

----------

Read the damn book, Sorkin.

Yeah... and make sure there are car chases and lots of explosions. Gotta make sure you pull the gamers out of their parents' basements.

Evan_11

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
I don't doubt that Sorkin is being truthful about the three part structure. I do kind of suspect the "real time" nature of it. He's going to have to cram a lot of extraneous background information into these scenes to make it understandable to general audiences. Otherwise he's going to be relying on flashbacks to tell the story. Of course using flashbacks means it's no longer "real time".

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
If the movie is "based on Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography" then it is going to be inaccurate and full of crap.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
The sequel will depict the life of a customer waiting in Apple Store line for release of iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad 4 all within the span of 1 year.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yeah... and make sure there are car chases and lots of explosions. Gotta make sure you pull the gamers out of their parents' basements.

That, was a woefully pish attempt at sarcastic humour. I for one have never resided in a basement and I lived with my parents over 10 years ago.

Try harder.

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Tom Cruise is the perfect choice to play Steve Jobs.

Before you go off on me saying I'm crazy, think about it. No, REALLY think about it. He's perfect.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Tom Cruise is the perfect choice to play Steve Jobs.

Before you go off on me saying I'm crazy, think about it. No, REALLY think about it. He's perfect.

Wholeheartedly agree. He has the look when he has the unshaven stubble look going. Think "Collateral" without the hair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.