Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
I am about to get my first ever smartphone and one on my main reasons for getting an iPhone was because I have an iMac, MacBook Pro, and a 1st Gen tv and I wanted to be able to use airplay to play music and videos through my stereo and tv via airplay from my iPhone.

I use my computers now to play music using my airport extreme and that connects everything to the same network. However I just read that the 1st gen tv does cannot stream music or videos from an iPhone, is that the case? :(

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
I have already installed that but it was a few years back now. Do I need to upgrade it? I do play my music through my tv using iTunes on my computer is that airplay? I always thought that was what the tv was supposed to do.

Exit34

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
Yes and No I suppose. Depends how you intend to serve your media to the aTV. iTunes running on your machine will always work for any media contained within iTunes. For videos, this requires a certain format however. To better answer your question, you are going to be using the iPhone 5 as the devise you intend to airplay from, correct?

What type of media are you intending to airplay from the iPhone to the aTV?

I have already installed that but it was a few years back now. Do I need to upgrade it? I do play my music through my tv using iTunes on my computer is that airplay? I always thought that was what the tv was supposed to do.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
I would mainly use the tv to play music and put my photos or videos taken with the phone up on the tv from the phone if possible without having to import everything into the computer first. I was under the impression I could take a video of my kid with the phone and turn around and watch it on my tv since I have an tv but I suppose I am mistaken.

Exit34

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
I would mainly use the tv to play music and put my photos or videos taken with the phone up on the tv from the phone if possible without having to import everything into the computer first. I was under the impression I could take a video of my kid with the phone and turn around and watch it on my tv since I have an tv but I suppose I am mistaken.

Ok. You can do all of that from your iphone 5 through XBMC. If you want to stay with the appletv 1 then XBMC will be your only option. Alternatively you could just pick up the atv 3 and all will work well out of box. not a bad upgrade for $99 considering your current commitment to the apple ecosystem already.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I was under the impression I could take a video of my kid with the phone and turn around and watch it on my tv since I have an tv but I suppose I am mistaken.
The original tv that you're still rocking was designed over six years ago! :eek:

AirPlay is definitely an awesome feature, but it does require the hardware in a newer AppleTV to work with.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
The original tv that you're still rocking was designed over six years ago! :eek:

AirPlay is definitely an awesome feature, but it does require the hardware in a newer AppleTV to work with.

True with stock software, not true running xbmc. xbmc has airplay when its on an atv 1. Works good too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.