Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pizz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
$329 iPad mini has wifi + 16gb. Now I can get a maxed out Nexus 7 with wifi, LTE, 32gb for $249.... seems like a no brainer. Until they drop the price to around $250, im finding it harder and harder to justify buying a mini!

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Ok, get the Nexus 7 then. Not quite sure what the point of this thread is. You don't seem to have a question or need input from anyone, and I'm not sure what kind of discussion you're looking for, if any. There's lots of other threads about this...

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
$329 iPad mini has wifi + 16gb. Now I can get a maxed out Nexus 7 with wifi, LTE, 32gb for $249.... seems like a no brainer. Until they drop the price to around $250, im finding it harder and harder to justify buying a mini!

Apple versus Google ecosystem. If that doesn't bother you, go for it. There are other factors involved obviously but you will have decide which is best for you.

I have a 16gb Nexus 7 and the Mini. I love both! :)

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Ok, get the Nexus 7 then. Not quite sure what the point of this thread is. You don't seem to have a question or need input from anyone, and I'm not sure what kind of discussion you're looking for, if any. There's lots of other threads about this...

business class versus luxury class

that's why you pay extra for the good stuff

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Then don't justify it, purchase something else :rolleyes: This thread is utterly redundant...

rojder

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
I have just enough cash for an iPad mini or cheaper. Whatever I get will be my portable computer for the foreseeable future. The Nexus 7 is appealing on paper, but I can't help but see a picture forming the more I read hints or outright exasperation at how cheap and flawed it is.

My original iPod touch is both my enticement and anxiety toward an iPad. On one hand, it is still a superb little device, save for the broken headphone jack. Still feels extremely elegant and comes in handy for various things. Many of my app purchases made over the years will carry over to the mini.

But on the other hand, it has been stuck with an outdated version of the OS for a couple of years now, since Apple dropped support after iOS 4.2, and apps I've purchased have gradually grown incompatible or unusable.

A $330 iPad with 512 mb and an older processor scares me. I'm sure it is an absolute joy to use and runs very smooth today, but it is too easy to imagine the not-too-distant day that iOS and some of my favorite apps leave it in the dust.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida

It's not for everyone. Enjoy the Nexus if that's what you really want.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Agreed. OP if you find better value in the Nexus 7 and it suits your needs, then get it.

pizz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Just seems Nexus has more bang for the buck which is always the case but even more now the price differences are so huge for what u get. I could maybe justify if it the mini had a retina! but I get that Apple has to introduce a "new" improved mini next year although im sure they could have included one now.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
business class versus luxury class

that's why you pay extra for the good stuff

quit the pretentious snobby upperclass vs. middleclass crap please... you're buying a $300 facebook, angry birds and email machine that was machine manufactured and glued together in a sweatshop factory in china for the general best-buy population who find the $500 price of the bigger model too expensive. a far cry from a 'classy' high-society device aka. $8k Vertu and the likes...

Here's how you break this thing down properly:
Nexus 7: $199 - 16gb Wifi
Ecosystem (iOS advantage): $100 - that's the premium I place on app selection
Better Build quality: $ 50 - Value you can put on the camera + build
Refined OS (smoothness): $ 50 - iOS vs. Jelly Bean.
TOTAL $399
What I think is the value of an iPad Mini. Obviously the value can be higher or less depending on how much you value the ecosystem and OS smoothness.
but this has nothing to do with 'class' and all that narcissistic crap.

pizz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I have just enough cash for an iPad mini or cheaper. Whatever I get will be my portable computer for the foreseeable future. The Nexus 7 is appealing on paper, but I can't help but see a picture forming the more I read hints or outright exasperation at how cheap and flawed it is.

My original iPod touch is both my enticement and anxiety toward an iPad. On one hand, it is still a superb little device, save for the broken headphone jack. Still feels extremely elegant and comes in handy for various things. Many of my app purchases made over the years will carry over to the mini.

But on the other hand, it has been stuck with an outdated version of the OS for a couple of years now, since Apple dropped support after iOS 4.2, and apps I've purchased have gradually grown incompatible or unusable.

A $330 iPad with 512 mb and an older processor scares me. I'm sure it is an absolute joy to use and runs very smooth today, but it is too easy to imagine the not-too-distant day that iOS and some of my favorite apps leave it in the dust.

I agree.. the old A5 chip and 512 and no retina? cmon if they could squeeze the new tprocessor and retina into an ipod and iphone then why not a mini iPad? I get its all about extending the product cycle and not blowing their load all at one time because in reality they have nothing new or innovative lined up for next year so its just going to be another round of so called "updates"

MacinTosh.0

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Seriously. What's the point of this thread? When has Apple ever lowered its prices on products just to compete with their counterparts? You've been a member since 2007. I'm sure you know the answer to this one.

Timechaser

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2010
OK - thanks for clearing up the price issue for me :)

My next question is - Is there any way that my AT&T unlimited data plan can be transfered from my current iPad to a Nexus 7?

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
quit the pretentious snobby upperclass vs. middleclass crap please... you're buying a $300 facebook, angry birds and email machine that was machine manufactured and glued together in a sweatshop factory in china for the general best-buy population who find the $500 price of the bigger model too expensive. a far cry from a 'classy' high-society device aka. $8k Vertu and the likes...

Here's how you break this thing down properly:
Nexus 7: $199 - 16gb Wifi
Ecosystem (iOS advantage): $100 - that's the premium I place on app selection
Better Build quality: $ 50 - Value you can put on the camera + build
Refined OS (smoothness): $ 50 - iOS vs. Jelly Bean.
TOTAL $399
What I think is the value of an iPad Mini. Obviously the value can be higher or less depending on how much you value the ecosystem and OS smoothness.
but this has nothing to do with 'class' and all that narcissistic crap.

narcissism has nothing to do with my post

it's what it is, built at a higher class of specification

the thinness and beauty makes it luxurious to experience

business class means "just enough to get by" … nothing fancy

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I agree.. the old A5 chip and 512? cmon if they could squeeze that into an ipod and iphone then why not a mini iPad? I get its all about extending the product cycle and not blowing their load all at one time because in reality they have nothing new or innovative lined up for next year so its just going to be another round of so called "updates"

Great, you're unhappy. We get it. Get a blog where you can write about it all, buy a Nexus, and move on. It's totally okay and no one here will think differently of you buddy.

And I certainly don't think that the mini is "luxury" and the Nexus is "business" class. Or whatever the freak someone said. /shrug

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
The Nexus 7 performs quite poorly compared to iPad mini. It's got no camera on the back, the front one is low resolution. It's made of plastic and build quality is craptastic. The main drawback is no video out of any kind. I'd have to reply on Google's wireless features which are poor at best at the moment. Let's not forget that basically every single "tablet" app on Google's ecosystem is basically a blown up smartphone app. It's a poor use of what is already a pretty poor bit of screen real estate. But hey, you get what you pay for. If you buy an Android device, it's obviously inferior to an Apple device. Whatever floats your boat, go for it. The rest of us don't care.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Plus 1GB RAM and HD display.

Oh... And GPS on the WIFI model.

Seriously, Apple? Why do you hate us? :D:D

pizz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Seriously. What's the point of this thread? When has Apple ever lowered its prices on products just to compete with their counterparts? You've been a member since 2007. I'm sure you know the answer to this one.

Ive been a fan of Apple from back in the day. I dont mind paying a primeum if im getting something better but i just dont see it in the mini

Last edited:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
The Nexus 7 performs quite poorly compared to iPad mini. It's got no camera on the back, the front one is low resolution. It's made of plastic and build quality is craptastic. The main drawback is no video out of any kind. I'd have to reply on Google's wireless features which are poor at best at the moment. Let's not forget that basically every single "tablet" app on Google's ecosystem is basically a blown up smartphone app. It's a poor use of what is already a pretty poor bit of screen real estate. But hey, you get what you pay for. If you buy an Android device, it's obviously inferior to an Apple device. Whatever floats your boat, go for it. The rest of us don't care.
Wow. You truly are uninformed, aside from the comments about the back camera and lack of video out (although it does stream video via AirPlay-line methods).

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

But the iPad mini has the :apple: on it. :p

Jokes aside, you are correct. When you compare specs the Nexus 7 beats the iPad mini in almost every way. Processor, screen, storage/price, etc. Now some will argue the App store is better than the Play store. Never used the App store, but to me the Play store apps are more than great.

But the fact remains that the iPad mini starting price of $329 should be at $199 or less. I'd say $149 - $179 with those specs.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
narcissism has nothing to do with my post

it's what it is, built at a higher class of specification

the thinness and beauty makes it luxurious to experience

business class means "just enough to get by" … nothing fancy

Define higher class of specification. Is it made of gold or platinum? Since when being thin make something luxurious. Like what the other guy said cut the crap about this luxury ******.

To the OP if you think the Nexus 7 is a bang for the buck go for it and be happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.