Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Just talked to my guy George Glekas. He's expecting a huge shipment of ipad minis in his store tomorrow.

Man I loved The Wire. I just loaded a bunch of episodes onto my mini last week.

I'm not thrilled at the lack of security at jfk though, i really thought things were tighter in the cargo sheds now. So what if it's an inside job, this is post-9/11 and there should still (for forever and a day!) be a lot of random change-ups in how security works out there. Different people on the cameras without notice. Different people working the doors, the forklifts. Same idea as with air marshals. Just putting them out there to be extra human eyes after all the other alleged security checks are done. Do we really want some sleeper guy now doing menial cargo-shuffling and waiting for that special little package to succeed with his part in some very patient plot to bring a really bad night to New York City sometime? What are they thinking that whole pallets of stuff can walk?

otoh what am I thinking. it's not like trade in any contraband suddenly stopped post-9/11, right. Like you said, Glekas is waiting.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
On second thought: I bet it was Santa Claus.

If it wasn't him, these thieves missed one hell of an opportunity. I can only imagine how amazing a video of some guys dressed up as Santa and his helpers stealing 3,600 iPads would have looked on the evening news.

Only thing funnier would be video of Jeff Bezos and Steve Ballmer on some tugboat out in Long Island Sound, weighting the pallets with some concrete blocks... iPad minis about to sleep with the fishes!

Verbatim Cookie

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Craigslist pulled the ad. :( Anyone got a screencap?
It's more important in NYC to police salt and soda consumption than secure the airports. :rolleyes:
Point taken, but the police force responsible for watching JFK is that of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, not the NYPD or any other City of New York agency. (Also, people forget that the PAPD lost more men and women on 9/11 than the NYPD did.)

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 425

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Of course. You do realize that most of the measures implemented are termed "security theater" and are there mainly to keep the Ma and Pa Kettles of the world scared. More security in warehouses? No. More security on freight? Nope.

While passengers go through the TSA ordeal, with freight it's business as usual.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I assume it's not Apple's insurance. I would think the shipping company has full insurance and responsibility for this. Apple doesn't own the shipping companies, they contract out that work.

Same context. I have insurance, doesn't mean I own Liberty Mutual.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Inside Job!!! Thieves had to know which warehouse iPads would be in. When they would be there. What time .

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Inside Job!!! Thieves had to know which warehouse iPads would be in. When they would be there. What time .

Probably drivers from Korea and Redmond WA

3 Nexus 7s and
12 Surface

were stolen.

Looks like Samsung and Microsoft try to copy everything Apple.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Wow, that is a huge number of iPad minis stolen. I watched a video on YouTube that shows a thief stealing about 20 MacBook Pros and I thought that was a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.