Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
grumblegrumblegrumble *didn't start nick or heyward-bey* grumblegrumblegrumble*

Hakeem Nicks is getting on my last nerve. I have him in the OS X league. Last week I start him and he scores 2 points. Of course once I sit him he goes for 16. I also sat Sidney Rice this week, who scored 19 points.

I have the most frustratingly inconsistent WR group ever. :mad:

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Since I didn't feel like working...

Apple TV
Cupertino Apples' remaining opponents have a .667 record (20-10)
Mscriv's remaining opponents have a .500 record (15-15)
Whittier Poets' remaining opponents have a .500 record (15-15)

Although Mscriv has the easier remaining schedule... with identical finishing records, Mscriv needs to beat Apples in their remaining matchup in order to force the Points For tiebreaker (which they lead by a huge margin). Otherwise, the team that wins 1 more game than the other gets the automatic playoff berth. In a 3-way tie, Whittier Poet would beat out Cupertino Apples if Poet can maintain his Points lead over Apples but would still be at a disadvantage to Mscriv even if they were to win as they are significantly behind on points.

Predicted Winner: Team Mscriv, Mscriv has yet to score under 100 points this season and has had some of the gaudiest final scores... I think in a re-match, Mscriv wins... which puts the tie-breaker and eventually the division in Mscriv's favor.

IPod
Team Fireshot's remaining opponents have a .633 record (19-11)
Berlin Pretzels' remaining opponents have a .400 record (12-18)
Joe Buck Yourself's remaining opponents have a .367 record (11-19)

JBY is facing an uphill battle, as he needs to run the table and both Fireshot and Pretzel need to 0-3 just to force a tie. If Pretzel and Fireshot were to finish with identical records, Pretzel needs a win against Fireshot in their season-ending matchup in order to force the Points For tie-breaker. However, Pretzel's remaining schedule works in their favor as they have two games against 3-7 teams (JBY and the CheeseChamps). In comparison, outside of their remaining game against the Pretzel's, the Jackalopes and Chargers have a combined record of 13-8 at this stage.

Predicted Winner: Berlin Pretzels, there's a good chance that Fireshot only wins 1 of their remaining games while Pretzel's has the easier road to go 2-1 in their remaining games and therefore clinch the division.

IPad
Wildcat Killers' remaining opponents have a .333 record (10-20)
CheeseChamps' remaining opponents have a .400 record (12-20)
Horse Wrangler's remaining opponents have a .333 record (10-20)

In the sub-.500 division, all three teams have similar remaining schedules in terms of opponents' records. However, the Wranglers on the outside looking in, as they would need to better the Killers by 3 games and the Champs by 2 games in order to force a 3-way tie. If they were to beat both the Champs and the Killers, they would hold the head-to-head tie-breaker over the champs, but are decidedly behind in points scored to the Killers. With a 1-1 record, and significant disadvantage in points score, the Champs need to win 1 more game than the Killers do over their final 3 games in order to win the division.

Predicted Winner: Wildcat Killer's, with the slightly easier remaining schedule and holding the points advantage over CheeseChamps as a tie-breaker, the Killers back in to the playoffs with a 6-7 record. But that's all they need, since in the playoffs anything can, and often does, happen.

IPhone
Chunzilla's remaining opponents have a combined .633 record (19-11)
Jackalope's remaining opponents have an identical .633 record (19-11)
GO CHARGERS' remaining opponents have a .600 record (18-12)

Chunzilla has two remaining division match ups against the Jackalope's and the Chargers, however Chunzilla holds a 1-0 advantage against the Jackalopes. The Jackalopes have one final divisional match up against Chunzilla and needs a win against Chunzilla in order to force the Points For tie-breaker should they end up with identical records. Chargers hold 1-0 advantage over Chunzilla, but are a game behind both the Jackalopes and Chunzilla.

Predicted Winner: Colorado Jackalopes, Chargers need a win against Chunzilla to maintain their head-to-head tie-breaker should it come into play. However, the Chargers are 0-2 against the Jackalopes and would need to better the Jackalopes' record by 2 games in order to avoid the head-to-head tie-breaker that the Jackalopes currently hold. The division will likely be decided by the Jackalopes-Chunzilla match up, as a Jackalopes win would force the Points For tie-breaker in their favor over Chunzilla.

Wild Card
Chunzilla: holds head-to-head victories over both Pretzels and Fireshot, could add a head-to-head tie-breaker over the Apples with a win in Week 12
Cupertino Apples: has two match ups remaining against the Jackalopes and Chunzilla, and holds a head-to-head tie-breaker over Fireshot but is at a disadvantage to Pretzels
Fireshot: could go 1-2 in their final 3 and does not hold a head-to-head tie-breaker over the first two wild-card candidates
Chargers: likely needs to go at least 2-1 in their final games, but in that case would hold head-to-head tie-breakers over two out of the three of Chunzilla, Fireshot and Poets, if they go 3-0 would it be possible to see three playoff teams out of a single division? Would definitely be something rare to see with the way the league is set up.

Predicted Wild-Cards
Chunzilla (facing Wildcat Killers) and Cupertino Apples (facing Team Fireshot), with Jackalopes and Mscriv getting first-round byes.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Since I didn't feel like working...

Nice analysis Stonyc! I don't think we've ever had such a close league. Usually there is one or two runaway teams that jump out to a significant lead, but this year the records are really close. :D

Dandaman

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
soCal
Why Oh Why did I bench Fred Jackson!?!?! Also getting rid of Stokley for Sanders was idiotic.

There'd be a three way tie in the Apple TV division if I hadn't tried to out think myself.

Grrrrrr.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I pulled out a pretty nice upset this week IMO.

No idea how I'm doing so well this year. Yes, Brees is the top scorer in the league, but my kicker has more points than my running back. Heck, my backup kicker almost has more than my running back. Guess I'm making the right decision on starters more often than not and catching my opponents at the right time.

These last couple weeks are going to be tight.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Nice analysis Stonyc! I don't think we've ever had such a close league. Usually there is one or two runaway teams that jump out to a significant lead, but this year the records are really close. :D

Yeah, thanks for sticking us in the most competitive division.:rolleyes: Will they change next year or remain the same?

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Yeah, thanks for sticking us in the most competitive division.:rolleyes: Will they change next year or remain the same?
It's entirely possible that if you win out, and I go 1-2 with a loss to both you and Chargers, and Chargers goes 2-1 to beat me on a head-to-head tie-breaker... that I could still get into the playoffs. If I beat Apples and end up with an identical record to Fireshot or Pretzels. As long as Chargers beats Whittier, and I end up with an identical record with Apples... I would then get the last playoff spot as I would hold the head-to-head tie-breaker on Apples, and the second-place finisher of Fireshot/Pretzels.

So there's a possibile road where all three of us, from the same division, could make the playoffs. :)

You would get a first-round bye, Mscriv would probably get the other bye... and I would play Fireshot or Pretzel, and Chargers would play Wildcat Killers.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas

I guess it all depends. Usually I draw up new divisions each year, but in the OSX league this year we had just about everyone from the previous season back and the players wanted to keep the divisions the same to allow for rivalries to form.

It really makes no difference to me. I'm okay doing it either way.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Trade Deadline is coming up next week so I thought I would remind everyone that if you want to do any "wheelin' and dealin'" then now is you last chance to do so.

Here's some thoughts on trading from ESPN's Matthew Berry:

I hate, hate, hate the veto. It's the coward's way out. If I was suddenly made the ruler of all things fantasy, there would never be a veto except in cases of obvious, provable collusion. And in that case, only the commissioner or host website for the league should wield that power.

Understand these two key things: The art of negotiating is a skill in fantasy. That's part of running a fantasy team. A huge part, in fact. It's a skill that is admired and sought after in real-life general managers, so why should this be any different?

And second, it is not your job to coach someone else's team. I don't care if you think that tight end isn't nearly enough for that quarterback/running back combo. The only thing that matters is that the guy getting the tight end thinks so. Everyone should be allowed -- encouraged, in fact -- to coach their own team. Even if it's stupidly.Because I have news for you. No one ever knows. I remember one of the first email flame wars I got into about a trade I made just after the draft one year, still in the preseason. In my longtime league with all my college buddies (a dynasty league), I traded a package of players for, in essence, Brett Favre, then one of the best quarterbacks in fantasy. It was a depth-for-a-superstar deal, perfectly legit, but the league went nuts because the only quarterback the guy was getting back was a recently promoted backup who had just got the job because the starter had been injured in preseason.

I argued the point of the deal was to give him depth at running back and wide receiver, which is what the guy said he wanted. He was happy, I was happy, what's the issue? On and on they complained. Until about Week 3 or 4, when they realized the backup quarterback I had dealt, Kurt Warner, was embarking upon his 1999 "Greatest Show on Turf" season, and would be better than Favre would ever be.

No one has argued about a trade in that league since.

I'll say it again. As long as both teams feel the deal helps their team, regardless of whether you agree, it MUST GO THROUGH. I especially can't stand the people who block a trade just because it doesn't involve them or because it's part of their "strategy" to block other teams from improving. That's the coward's way out and you're a scummy, spineless punk if you do that.

I've said it before, will say it again. Win on the virtual field, not by manipulating the rules.

Our trade rules follow what Berry has outlined above. If there are any questions then please let me know. :)

Dandaman

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
soCal
The Trade Deadline is coming up next week so I thought I would remind everyone that if you want to do any "wheelin' and dealin'" then now is you last chance to do so.

Here's some thoughts on trading from ESPN's Matthew Berry:

Our trade rules follow what Berry has outlined above. If there are any questions then please let me know. :)

Anyone need a QB or TE? I'll offer RGIII and Vernon Davis. Any takers? I need a RB bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.