Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
This is another "I can't believe it's not butter" kind of thread so you have been warned!

Cool Story:

I walked in ready to buy an ipad 4. Having owned and ipad 3 LTE and and ipad 2 3G, I will say that for those who are on the fence of buying an ipad mini or an ipad retina, you will know once you hold the ipad mini.

The ipad mini display is not retina. It's not even close...but it's clearly good enough and better than the ipad 2! In fact, with SIRI, iphone 5 front camera, ipad 3/4 rear cameras and the video stablization DSP, along with a cool running A5, it's clearly a very well packaged device.

I got rid of my ipad 2, collected the money and was ready to buy an ipad 4. It was NOT an easy decision. The ipad 3 LTE I rarely used LTE and in fact, I never even activated the LTE SIM. On my ipad 2 3G, I used the $14.99 AT&T data plan ONCE. That was a year ago. I also bought the 3G/LTE for the GPS but found that I've only used navigon on my ipads no more than 5 times. I have an iphone 5 now and I use it for navigation instead.

Long story, but I gave the ipad retina to my father in law. He deserved it very much but I regretted that giveaway in less than 24 hours because I had to go back to my ipad 2, it was so hard the text on that 9.7" display is so blurry, it was just very hard for me and I dreaded viewing web pages for a few weeks.

I was skeptical of the ipad mini and today I went into the store and played with the mini and the ipad 4 for nearly an hour. The decision wasn't merely because of the retina, it had to do with the price and the fact the real ipad successor is due out soon! I didn't want a deal like going from iphone 4 -> iphone 4S when the iphone 5 is clearly superior.

So I said, forget it, and having tried out the mini on major websites and going back and forth between the retina ipad and the mini, it was clear I always came back to the mini. The size, weight and overall package is just clearly a better buy for me. I walked out with a 64GB WIFI ipad mini! In fact, retina ipad is so good in the display, it was just so hard to say yes to the ipad mini - but then being able to hold it further away when I couldn't do that with an iPad 2/ipad 3, I was able to enjoy the ipad mini's screen much more so than my ipad 2! Of course I wish it to be retina but if they come out with one next year, I will buy the mini retina! I will just sell the ipad mini by then.

I lost alot of money selling the ipad 2 64GB 3G and I knew that I didn't want to lose that much selling my ipad 4 if I had bought that. The mini is new so it's easier to sell...you reallyhave to use the mini extensively to realize how damn good it is! It is so good, I was able to forego the RETINA DISPLAY and choose the ipad mini.

I can only imagine the buying frenzy if the mini was retina! Bottom line is if you go out and try out the ipad mini, it will really change your mind. I can see why it is sold out and let me say that I am 100% content with the ipad mini. The siri is great, the cameras are fantastic, and best of all I can carry it everywhere and use it with ease. The ipad 3/4 is just great but it's not as ideal as an ipad mini when you need to use it everywhere and because of the weight, you can hold it further away from your eyes and that will convince you the display is good enough!

img0746eh.jpg

img0765tb.jpg

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK
Horses for courses as they say. Mini suits some not others......me being in the latter. Enjoy, whatever the size.........just within 6 months I bet the retina mini will be out! ;)

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Your fonts are huge on safari because you have 'small' and 'large' javascript?

Try another browser.

Didn't like safari on my iPad Mini. Fonts too small.

I switched to Mercury browser. Very nice browser with lots more features than safari. You can set default font size for each site. No global default font size though.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Horses for courses as they say. Mini suits some not others......me being in the latter. Enjoy, whatever the size.........just within 6 months I bet the retina mini will be out! ;)

Of course it's subjective, what isn't? When you buy things, it's always this way - some people like it, some people don't. You don't have to wear $1000 suits to look great; some people do spend that kind of money for whatever reason, and some buy a $19 pair of jeans, $10 shirt and a $5 tie.

I can't convince all of you but I'm enjoying my ipad mini! When 6 months rolls around, I'll sell my ipad mini. If I paid $900 tax included for my ipad 4 64GB LTE, I would be kicking myself in 6 months.

Luckily, I gave away my ipad 3 but that decision I still regret. But for now, the mini is so good, I'm loving every second of using it!

----------

Your fonts are huge on safari because you have 'small' and 'large' javascript?

Try another browser.

Didn't like safari on my iPad Mini. Fonts too small.

I switched to Mercury browser. Very nice browser with lots more features than safari. You can set default font size for each site. No global default font size though.

I want the performance of the nitro JS safari has access to. All the other browsers do not therefore is slow. I just used the large font bookmark hack and it's great!

And don't forget instapaper! I can finally use that app for a reason now!

----------

I wanted to add that even though I didn't buy the 4G/LTE model this time around, it's because I never ever used it. I thought it would be great to have in case I needed it, but I never ever used it except to test out the very first time I owned an ipad 2 3G.

Now with the offline reading list in safari, it's just easier for me to read any webpage on the go. WIth instapaper, I can do the same thing and the fonts will be great on the ipad mini.

I have tried the ipad mini in store on all the websites I could recall at that moment and even though it's no comparison to a retina display, the ipad mini display isn't that bad like everyone makes it to be. I can't force everyone to like a mini, but I am telling you that I gave up a retina display for an ipad mini.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
We to went in with the intention of buying a 64Gb iPad 4 on launch weekend. However, walked out with a mini 16Gb instead.

Just preferred the mini and to me the screen is superb.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
It just depends on what i'd use it for. If it's mainly for reading and browsing, i'd get something else because that's heavy text. If it's more for apps, games, pics and video, and just do occasional things like reading and browsing, a Mini could be a good choice.

Since I don't think many are buying these to mostly read books or long articles on, it's no surprise they're selling well.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012

What I did was modify the script to enlarge the font size to my max comfort level without having to keep tapping on the bookmark to increase size. One single tap brings my fonts up to perfect readable size. And best of all I don't have to use the 3rd party browsers since I do like the nitro js engine safari has exclusive access to.

Search for this and I used a value of 10.
Default is value of 2;

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
All it takes to sell them is the Apple logo ... :eek:

Stick an Apple logo on a windows machine and there you have it. I'm always shocked to see the people on this site who returned their mini. The mini has the Apple logo on it. :eek:

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
UK
I am going for a Mini, love the way it worked, and I thought the iPad was a little too big! Weird!

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Went in for a 4, checked out the mini screen for 2 seconds...yikes. I was so happy when apple finally went high resolution

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
I went with a mini and returned it for a 4.

I am doing that tomorrow.

My eyes hate me after 2 weeks of using mini and now I truly appreciate my ipad 3 screen.

I honestly think ipad mini is killing my vision. Getting really tired reading smaller fuzzier fonts. Worst experience is this forum and academic PDF where the resolution makes it too fuzzy to read the small font comfortably, and when enlarged the fonts to mAke them look almost retina, I needed to scroll which is more annoying then the added weight.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009

At least a year for a retina mini unless they greatly increase the thickness and weight.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I am doing that tomorrow.

My eyes hate me after 2 weeks of using mini and now I truly appreciate my ipad 3 screen.

I honestly think ipad mini is killing my vision. Getting really tired reading smaller fuzzier fonts. Worst experience is this forum and academic PDF where the resolution makes it too fuzzy to read the small font comfortably, and when enlarged the fonts to mAke them look almost retina, I needed to scroll which is more annoying then the added weight.

That is exactly what happened to me. It was ok the first couple days but I started getting headaches from what I think was eyes train. Of course once I posted about it I immediately became a liar, whiner, troll, etc. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.