Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiceMeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Out of My Mind
I bought my 15" macbook pro mid 2010 (June to be exact) model pretty much the day it was released. I purchased it at the Navy Expo... and am no Noob when it comes to computers. I am very disappionted, because I simply don't feel that the value (even with it being tax free), is justified... and feel what Apple is doing is illegal by monopolizing it's products, even after purchase.

Don't get me wrong, I used to love it, but as time goes on, I am finding alot of problems that even though my Apple care has expired, should be covered by a recall, yet hasn't. First off, there was a malicious EFI update for this particular model (EFI 1.7) that was developed for "those few who complained about their perfectly capable MBP's not being able to read HDD speeds in access of 1.5 gb/s".

Well I had installed a SATA II HDD which was not reporting the 3.0GB/s, so I guess you could put me in that pool of complainers. I was happy to see this and downloaded and installed it immediately. Much to my surprise it locked up and siezed my computer.

After much research, since apple failed to deliver one, I found a EFI rollback that was developed by an outside source. Once installed my MBP worked perfect. After more research I found that it was a because HDD cable (assuming the one they installed only supported SATA I) and ordered a new one. Aftter I installed it, my MBP seemingly ran great (though I have yet to see major performance increases).

After all this, I have descovered my Win7 partition is having startup problems (says it's missing random DLL's (never the same one is listed) but isn't), and it is directly related to this 1.7 EFI update. When I roll back to the 1.6 it works fine, boots fine.

So basically I'm ticked because I feel apple purposely installed the HDD cable knowingly that it only supported SATA I speeds, then gives an update that supports SATAII to be used on an unsupported cable, To combat user modification to lure people who chose to swap HDDs themselves into buying the $50apple care.

This is unexceptable, yet we the consumer are stuck with the bill, in my case the cable i found online for $24 including shipping was still cheaper than the Apple Care, but I feel it should have been installed when it was in factory, meaning it should have been $24 I never should have spent. When restarting my computer multiple times until windows ignores the DLL error under the EFI 1.7 update, while practicing my flight sim (RealFlight 6.5) it's reporting frame rates as low as 8fps. This I feel is a total blow below the belt since the graphics ratings are Low, Medium, High, Very High... and I'm set on medium.

I for one would love to join a class action lawsuit against Apple, because I know I am not the only one who feels betrayed. For those fortunate to get a good series of MBP or Mac, I feel you were lucky ones, for as you can see there are other problems associated with other versions, that some are worse than the one I described. For the hefty price tag, one would expect apple care free of charge for at least 2 years but isn't. Convienent they release that update right past the 1 year mark which is the when the Origianl purchase warranty expires. But for now can someone tell me what to do to get my Sim running smoothly... like it should damn well already be. Impossible to do complex manuvuers with frame rates bogging that low.

I guess what I'm saying is anybody with a little brains can build a better Mac than apple themselves when spending this kind of cash. No wonder Hackitosh is growing rapidly in populatirity.

A few tech specs for those who think they can help
Intel Core Duo @ 2.53 GHz
8.0 GB DDR3 RAM
Seagate 500GB Momentus XT Hybrid Drive
OS X Snow Leopard (fastest and best performance, and love this version of finder the best)
Running Bootcamp 3.3 (latest version)

Last edited:

markus843

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2012
Wat?

Edit: Thanks for separating the thread, I read the whole thing. I too had terrible customer support from apple, but not really for the same reason that you had. My problems are very minor. My hinge at the back is sticking out 2mm, and it moves left and right causing there to be scratching sounds when opened. My other problem is that my trackpad is uneven. The right side is dipped down about 2mm and the left side is above the case about 1mm.

I went to a genius and he told me that they can't fix it, but apple will. So I send it in to apple telling them my problems, and 2 days later It came back. The hinge at the back was normal, except there was a crack in it, AND my trackpad was barely clicking. So, I went back to the genius (2 hours away from where I live), and he takes it in for repair. Atleast this was all covered by my warranty.

Although I really do think it is unnecessary to join a class action lawsuit towards apple...

Last edited:

DiceMeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Out of My Mind
*Fixed* though i will admit i never have posted here with such picky readers... LOL all good though, I guess with a Title like this is attracts a broaden audience. Now time for some real answers please.

wiznet

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Canada
To be honest, Apple computers in general aren't really overpriced. If you want a windows computer which is as capable as a Macbook, you're going to pay a very similar price. And for me, the durable design and OS is worth any extra money.

Sorry to hear you're having problems, though, but I think the warrantee is reasonable, and the extension price is also reasonable. Hope things work out.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I am very disappionted, because I simply don't feel that the value (even with it being tax free), is justified... and feel what Apple is doing is illegal by monopolizing it's products, even after purchase.

Should have stopped right there. Every company has a monopoly on its own products.

DiceMeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Out of My Mind
Should have stopped right there. Every company has a monopoly on its own products.

no, not forcefull monopoly... Every company has the right to void warranties if user modification has been made. But not to employ a update they claim to help support SATA II to a model that they installed SATA I cable and not offer a rollback. For updates are specific to each model, so why release an update that would compromise the integrity of the system, with no chance to rollback. The ONLY reason I have been able to repeatedly rollback is because of a 3rd party app, not apple. I can run 1.7 perfect, with the new cable I ordered in OS X and yes I can build a better computer that runs OS X for the $1,700 spent with retina ordering through OWC, and other websites. I've priced it out.

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
no, not forcefull monopoly... Every company has the right to void warranties if user modification has been made. But not to employ a update they claim to help support SATA II to a model that they installed SATA I cable and not offer a rollback. For updates are specific to each model.

You're confusing a few different issues. The monopoly thing aside, its definitely a dumb move by apple, but offering rollbacks for EFI? Thats so sketchy that I can see why a company wouldn't even want to consider that nightmare.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
No problem typed quickly... as baby was crying
:p

You might also want to note that it's spelled "unacceptable". If you do happen to correct that, I'll edit and remove this line:D.

no, not forcefull monopoly... Every company has the right to void warranties if user modification has been made. But not to employ a update they claim to help support SATA II to a model that they installed SATA I cable and not offer a rollback. For updates are specific to each model, so why release an update that would compromise the integrity of the system, with no chance to rollback. The ONLY reason I have been able to repeatedly rollback is because of a 3rd party app, not apple. I can run 1.7 perfect, with the new cable I ordered in OS X and yes I can build a better computer that runs OS X for the $1,700 spent with retina ordering through OWC, and other websites. I've priced it out.

Rollbacks on EFI are just as dodgy as they would be on a bios. Typically flashing something multiple times isn't a good idea. i do think they should have been able to supply an appropriate cable. Shipping SATA I cables in 2010 seems kind of dumb.

In terms of monopoly, they've always been a system builder. Turnkey solutions used to be typical in things like graphics workstations that cost tens of thousands, yet they weren't deemed illegal. They've merely become extinct in most use cases. Apple does something similar with the personal computer. It's offered as a package. Windows is also just fine as an alternative. The noise regarding Windows 8 is a little silly to me. Inside a given application, the experience is 90% the same in most cases. There are little things that are different between the two, and of course you have to deal with migrating between different file systems.

DiceMeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Out of My Mind
Rollbacks on EFI are just as dodgy as they would be on a bios. Typically flashing something multiple times isn't a good idea. i do think they should have been able to supply an appropriate cable. Shipping SATA I cables in 2010 seems kind of dumb.

Yes dumb indeed... but the flashing, Is not a concern of mine... I've simply have rollbacked and updated again to troubleshoot without problems. OS X side is better since the update, but Win7 is worse, of course with new cable. And the correct cable should have been included since the EFI 1.7 update claims this computer should support 3.0 GB/s. According to my research and Apple, the June 2010 model is the same as a 2009 except for the introduction of the Unibody... and the updates are all in collaboration between the 2.

Here is the forum that led up to my discovery of the cable issue. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2054387?tstart=0 I'm sure most on this forum would agree with me, on my views about Apple... having that said, my question is Ultimately windows related... just threw out the extra info for a detailed explanation in trying to figure out why the EFI update has effected windows and my disappiontment with apple.

If you were one who purchased this model you would have similar viewpoints as me, just one reason why the above mentioned forum, is one of apples largest MBP community forums.

As for the comments on my spelling, grammar, etc... LOL... is the least of my concerns.

----------

Found Solution...

Keep Computer for OS X... Ditch the windows partition...
Use Vaio for temporary windows experience...
Designing new computer which effectively runs Hackitosh Using my original SL Install DVD. Forum Closed!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
If you were one who purchased this model you would have similar viewpoints as me, just one reason why the above mentioned forum, is one of apples largest MBP community forums.

As for the comments on my spelling, grammar, etc... LOL... is the least of my concerns.

----------

Found Solution...

Keep Computer for OS X... Ditch the windows partition...
Use Vaio for temporary windows experience...
Designing new computer which effectively runs Hackitosh Using my original SL Install DVD. Forum Closed!

I just threw those in as you were already breaking it into paragraphs:p. I can totally understand why you're not happy with the machine. I'm glad I didn't have to personally endure that. The thing that annoys me with Apple is that they're often quite good if you run the machine the way they expect you to run it. As soon as it's any feature that wouldn't be noticed by a large percentage of their users, issues begin to turn up. Typically on here the response is that some theoretical percentage of sub 5% would use that, but if enough things affect that percentage of users without 100% overlap, it can add up to a very large number of affected individuals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.