Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you sell your iPad 3 for a mini?

• Yes and I love it! Who needs Retina?

Votes: 102 47.7%
  • Yes and I returned it for a iPad 4 or kept my 3.

Votes: 21 9.8%
  • No. I kept my 3.

Votes: 91 42.5%

• Total voters

shootingstar64

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
Monterey, CA
I did!

Sold my 32GB/WiFi - 3G including the original leather SmartCover for $570
I am happy with what i got for it an am even more happy with my mini now :D

Size matters (to me at least) and in this case the smaller form factor of the iPad mini outweighs retina by far,....

To each their own,....

tpr007

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Hong Kong
I need to change my vote.

Originally kept my 3, but as of yesterday have sold the 3 and bought a mini. Very pleased. :D

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
this thread has made my decision i'm selling my iPad 3.

what did you guys get for yours? or what can i expect to get a immaculate ipad 3 16th wifi black

tpr007

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Hong Kong
I'm curious as to why if you don't mind to elaborate.

Simply because of the size/weight. It feels more sleek and portable, yet after using one, still feels like an ipad. I've have galaxy tabs and a kindle fire in the past but they were never as satisfying to use. They just felt like big phones, whereas this feels like a proper tablet.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Simply because of the size/weight. It feels more sleek and portable, yet after using one, still feels like an ipad. I've have galaxy tabs and a kindle fire in the past but they were never as satisfying to use. They just felt like big phones, whereas this feels like a proper tablet.

Thanks. I have a KF and I'll use it for android. I am new to the apple ecosystem and may well learn there isn't anything I do on the KF I cannot do on the Mini.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Time to resurrect this thread since folks have had more time with the Mini now.

I'm very tempted in flipping the Mini now for the 3 or maybe even the 4 and I understand it is all a matter of preference for which device is better for you but I find the poll intriguing.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
I'm about to sell mine because I don't use it.
I'll just stick to an iPhone and mac. I don't need an iPad really.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
No way would I ever consider selling my iPad 3 only to replace it with the current Mini, that would be a step backwards imo. I don't mind the size and heft of the iPad 3 at all, so no reason to fix something that isn't broken so to speak.

The iPad Mini may co-exist with the full size iPad, but then again I use the iPad at home probably 350/365 days a year so it's somewhat redundant having a Mini. I love the Mini's form factor, but it's mostly a gadget I can really really live without. And my eyes are very sensitive and can definitely tell the difference between retina iPad 3 and non-retina iPad Mini, and the difference is quite noticeable and represents a compromise. A compromise I may not be willing to live with.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No way would I ever consider selling my iPad 3 only to replace it with the current Mini, that would be a step backwards imo. I don't mind the size and heft of the iPad 3 at all, so no reason to fix something that isn't broken so to speak.

The iPad Mini may co-exist with the full size iPad, but then again I use the iPad at home probably 350/365 days a year so it's somewhat redundant having a Mini. I love the Mini's form factor, but it's mostly a gadget I can really really live without. And my eyes are very sensitive and can definitely tell the difference between retina iPad 3 and non-retina iPad Mini, and the difference is quite noticeable and represents a compromise. A compromise I may not be willing to live with.

I use my full sized ipad at home "desktop" and the mini on the go "laptop". I have zero need for a real laptop

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
Damn I should have done that. Got only $430 for my iPad 3. Its resale value plummeted.

Same, I was shocked at how little the iPad 3rd Gen was actually worth... 64GB Cellular model for £450 = Upset Dan.

But I got my Mini so it's not all bad, but a little over £200 loss from 4 months use is crazy.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
After reading the review at anandtech and noting differences and also hardware info as well at phonearena it looks like I'll be flipping the Mini for at least a 3rg gen real soon.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Apple-iPad-3,Apple-iPad-mini/phones/5715,7523

Better chance I feel I will not turn around and flip the 3rd gen for awhile compared to wanting to do so with the Mini. At least I gave the Mini a shot and it was a very nice experience in witnessing the apple ecosystem. BUT the return period is closing in on me but fast and I know where I can get the 3 in my area.

Last edited:

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I wasn't going to get a mini until at least rev2 but I lucked out on a Nexus7 for $170 NIB and I like it so far = free music content & NFL Game pass around the house are the reasons I'll keep it!

I also think this screen looks pretty good/sharp even though its not "retina".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.