Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Apple will reject this app. They have rejected a lot of apps that they believe conflicts with their interest.

There will be a public outcry over it for a few weeks and then back to business.

They should reject this App. Google had its chance and it stunted the app with not providing navigation features. So why do it now?
There were in 2009
Less so after Apple published the App Store Review Guideline.

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
if someone has never used google maps on a previous iphone, will they know they're missing anything with the apple maps? i've goofed around with google maps on my ipod touch, but never used it for anything special.

now that i'm getting an iphone5 will it be a big deal because i have nothing to compare it to?

kahuna1342

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Gresham, Oregon
Changes Made

So far, the issues that I have reported to Apple have been fixed. Especially the one showing the entire east side of Portland, OR as one big park.

The only thing I really want now is a "Night Mode" after the sun goes down. The default color scheme is far too bright for driving at night. For now, I just switch back to Navigon for night driving but it would be nice if I didn't have to.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Has anyone seen any corrections made to the Maps app?

All the people I know who have used the "Report a Problem" button, have not seen any corrections made to the Maps app. It would be nice to hear about a person who has seen a correction made based on THEIR "Report a Problem" submission.

----------

Has anyone seen a single correction? Anyone? Anyone at all.

I'm pretty sure I read comments and articles about things that were fixed (though nothing said if this was because of a user reporting it).

I remember waiting more than 6 months for Google maps to fix the name of a street nearby that was completely wrong, even after I reported it several times.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I've switched to Waze and am really enjoying it. Great app. I hope Google doesn't swoop in and buy them. :(

applenerd8

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2012
Well I read this artical and decided to check out the maps app. Haven't looked at for about a week.

I was pleasantly suprised to see that all the black and white maps of my area are now colour. There is a few more points of interest too.
Hopefully the improvements will keep coming.

Same here. I live in London, UK and go to Uni in Nottingham. When I first upgraded, I didn't see any issues. But when I went back to Uni, it was black and white, lol! The whole of the city, or at least most of it, was colourless. It looked like the images were shrouded by cloud. I switched back to standard maps after this so I don't see those horrific images when navigating in Nottingham.
After reading this, I switched back to Hybrid and, lo and behold, COLOUR! So much better!
I think they are focusing more on the picture issues then names. Because I have reported a naming issue a few times and still no fix. For UK users, this was the problem with Ealing Broadway, where it pins closer to Greenford Broadway.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Apple Maps has been flawless for me... or at least, the errors have been no more frequent than I experience with Google. I don’t miss the old Maps at all.

But I always want options! And Street View.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
The awkward moment when you realise you're dependent on Google to make your Apple phone functional.

The awkward moment-to-come when we all realize we've unwittingly given Google an unbreakable stranglehold on our digital lives. :mad:

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I've switched to Waze and am really enjoying it. Great app. I hope Google doesn't swoop in and buy them. :(

Why not? That would be awesome. They'd start inputting all of Waze's social data into Google maps. It would be the best of both worlds.

Waze is good, but not as good as Google for basic navigating imo.

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
I read a number of your previous posts. It's obvious you are already an Android user who owns no Apple products at all and are on an Apple centric forum just to spread negative misinformation. Go away, troll.

Suggest you check my sig

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Google will never catch up to Apple. They are too far ahead.

Apple should never approve a Google app ever again. Make no mistake, Google is trying to kill the iPhone. But Apple won't let them. This Don't Be Evil mantra is bullcrap.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
If the Google Maps app has free turn-by-turn, it's game over for Apple Maps.

I use it on my Note 2 every day all over the country. It's perfectly accurate every time. Honestly I don't understand why Google would give this killer feature to Apple, but oh well. Enjoy everyone. It's a life saver.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Apple you better approve this.

Or else.

Knowing Apple's dirty tactics, they'll will only approve if Google agrees to make it have less features (definitely not turn-by-turn directions) than Apple's own Map app. Or something similar. Apple will continue their path on putting their own interests before the consumer's.

applenerd8

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2012
Google maps has a nearby school labelled "?". Bing omits it entirely, and I haven't looked at it with Apple maps but don't hold out much hope :p

I'm really interested to find out what Apple has labelled this nearby school now. Find out! =)

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Knowing Apple's dirty tactics, they'll will only approve if Google agrees to make it have less features (definitely not turn-by-turn directions) than Apple's own Map app. Or something similar. Apple will continue their path on putting their own interests before the consumer's.

That is such a ridiculous statement. For years Google CHOSE to provide iPhone users with a crippled Maps app and you sing their praises? Looks like Google putting THEIR needs ahead of the consumer to me.

Finally Apple had enough and decided to do one on their own to give their users a better map experience. Apple's Maps app has worked perfect for me and many others.

I appreciate that it has problems for many people as well. I acknowledge that other people are having trouble. Apples first kick at the can wasn't flawless. I for one didn't expect it to be. I would agree that Apple should have left Googles app on the phone until they had the kinks worked out, and they shouldn't force Google off the iPhone moving forward.

I'm totally fine with Apple's maps and look forward to it getting better. Google? They can suck it. NOW they're willing to provide turn by turn only because Apple forced their hand. I avoid Google services wherever I can. Go harvest someone else's data.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If the Google Maps app has free turn-by-turn, it's game over for Apple Maps.

I use it on my Note 2 every day all over the country. It's perfectly accurate every time. Honestly I don't understand why Google would give this killer feature to Apple, but oh well. Enjoy everyone. It's a life saver.

Google gives away many things to all the people in the world in exchange of their usage data, location data, browsing data etc. for better targeted ads which is their core business. Apple, although now lags behind Android, still has hundreds of millions of users. This is a population that Google cannot ignore. They will release maps with turn by turn in the App Store and Apple will approve it.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Well......

Not taking sides, but.... I did notice new imagery yesterday for my area in Apple Maps. Current car in driveway and work. Looked to be mid October from the leaf color.

Also displays my car at work in the parking spot now. Was showing me 4-5 spaces to (R). :apple:

----------

Google gives away many things to all the people in the world in exchange of their usage data, location data, browsing data etc. for better targeted ads which is their core business. Apple, although now lags behind Android, still has hundreds of millions of users. This is a population that Google cannot ignore. They will release maps with turn by turn in the App Store and Apple will approve it.

Yes. :apple:

digitalhen

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006

I for one really hope they approve Google Maps. It seems no one else can get Hong Kong right on their maps.

Bizarrely, Nokia Maps have romanized all the Chinese, so subway directions have completely useless translations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.