Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuccillo

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
Lets see. It cost me $36 to bring it up to 12 GBs of memory - will never have to touch the memory again. The 500 GB harddrive will never be filled up. I would have preferred a 128 GB SSD only but that was not an option. Based on the past history of our home computers (starting with a 48KB Apple II with 2 floppy drives), we will most likely keep the system 5 years.

Ahhh cool... How could you call an iMac with 500Gb and 4Gb the RAM if it's not an old machine???

Retro-Vintage-Mac?

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
This iMac thing is all messed up. How about a little humor to lighten the day? Here's a great way to mess with someone ...

Just look at those beautiful SELECT buttons below the prices! I'm going to order mine now: http://goo.gl/OJCwR

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Also, IvyBridge is the die shrink of the SandyBridge architecture in the Intel tic/tock strategy. Haswell will be the next architecture change. Anyone planning on buying a 2012 iMac should wait for the Haswell-based iMacs to make sure they aren't buying obsolete technology based on the SandyBridge architecure ;-)

Well, I wouldn't call SB or IB obsolete as its still very usable on 99.99999% of programs out there. The problem with Apple in particular is, if the IB iMacs come out in January(ish), then when will the Haswell iMacs appear? Will Apple refresh the iMac line in May(ish) when Haswell is in production? iPad 3, anyone? or will they also be 6 months late.

tuccillo

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
That is exactly my point didn't you see the emoticon at the end of my post? A 2011 iMac based on SandyBridge is far from obsolete, contrary to what one poster would have you believe. I like n-1 stuff - its a lot cheaper - let others get ripped off by having to buy the latest.

Well, I wouldn't call SB or IB obsolete as its still very usable on 99.99999% of programs out there. The problem with Apple in particular is, if the IB iMacs come out in January(ish), then when will the Haswell iMacs appear? Will Apple refresh the iMac line in May(ish) when Haswell is in production? iPad 3, anyone? or will they also be 6 months late.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I'll take it as a good sign that Apple hasn't changed the dates yet.

Last edited:

Grockel

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Devon, UK
What worries me is the absence of the new iMac in their recently published Christmas Gift Guide.

Presumably if they were confident of shipping them for Christmas it would be in there ?

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
What worries me is the absence of the new iMac in their recently published Christmas Gift Guide.

Presumably if they were confident of shipping them for Christmas it would be in there ?

I think it's pretty certain apple can't guarantee anyone to have a gift wrapped iMac under the Xmas tree. Question is if they will open for orders before New Year's Eve.

Matilde

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
I've been saving up for a new dedicated iMac (21.5) for my new home office.

When I heard they were releasing the new iMac in Nov. I held off, but the laptop I'm using currently to telework is killing my hands and wrists. I have to replace it, I can't wait until 2013. I've been hitting refresh on the Apple Store everyday since Nov 1.

I'd buy a refurbished 2011 model but the Apple Store is out of stock and has been every time I've looked this week.

I hate to say it, but some of us can't wait. I know inventory cuts into profits, but so does having customers walk out the door.

jaycruz

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012

When I heard they were releasing the new iMac in Nov. I held off, but the laptop I'm using currently to telework is killing my hands and wrists. I have to replace it, I can't wait until 2013. I've been hitting refresh on the Apple Store everyday since Nov 1.

I'd buy a refurbished 2011 model but the Apple Store is out of stock and has been every time I've looked this week.

I hate to say it, but some of us can't wait. I know inventory cuts into profits, but so does having customers walk out the door.

I know exactly how you feel. I am able to get a 2011 version from my local BX, do you guys think I should just pull the trigger and buy it? I can't wait til 2013 as well. Also, by the looks of it, it seems as the new iMac definitely won't come out this year.

MacMiguel

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012
I know exactly how you feel. I am able to get a 2011 version from my local BX, do you guys think I should just pull the trigger and buy it? I can't wait til 2013 as well. Also, by the looks of it, it seems as the new iMac definitely won't come out this year.

.....Mmmmmmmmmm If i were you i'd wait, i wouldn't be dispossed to waste an Euro on an old machine with almost to years....

tuccillo

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
Keep checking for refurbs - they come and go quickly since they are a great deal.

TrboMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
NC/USA
Thanks - do you know what the price typically is? B&H is selling what appear to be new 2011 iMacs for $1099.

It's usually around $980 for a 2011 baseline 21.5" iMac. Of course there's Apple tax to consider. The B&H is new in box and is a good deal. My friend just got one there.

tuccillo

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
So, you may save about $50 with a refurb from Apple (base model for $979+tax - this is what I bought) compared with B&H assuming they dont charge tax or shipping. Apple doesn't charge for shipping. Mine was pristine and came with Mountain Lion already installed. It appears it was built in Aug or Oct from the Serial Number.

Thanks - do you know what the price typically is? B&H is selling what appear to be new 2011 iMacs for $1099.

bbapps

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
Well, I just ordered the proper tools and hard drive to fix my crashed mid2007 iMac. Just can't wait for the 201? IMac, not really thrilled with Mac Mini without dedicated graphics, MacBook pro should get the first Haswell update in 6 months or so.....

Really getting kind of uncomfortable with considering first gen iMac given the rumored "production" issues, plus I would want ifixit to tear it down to ensure "fixibility" before I purchased it. Guess I'll limp along for now, then turn my 1TB drive I bought into an external eventually.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
so how will this effect 2013 launch lineup

I'm looking for 2 things. The 27" imac and a "possible" 2013 Mac Pro. The mac line seems in total disarray, and has been all year and now likely into 2013.

Wow, do a google search on "imac delayed" and it's incredible how many places picked up on this blurb. I wonder if Apple will do any damage control. It's not like it is an unannounced product after all. But then again Apple is still pretty arrogant over things like this.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
so how will this effect 2013 launch lineup

Means nothing Apple released 2 iMacs in 2009 the old style in March 2009 then the 16.9 version in Oct 2009. Considering it would be just a spec bump with minor changes new keyboard or mouse etc. Apple could still release 2 iMacs in 1 year.

If reports are true Early 2013 iMac and mid or late 2013 iMac or late 2012 iMac and 2013 iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.