Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applenerd8

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2012
I don't know about others' experiences, but I am not upgrading to iOS 6 only because I don't want to deal with the new Apple Maps. I have it on my iPad, and in addition to missing large swaths of roads in my area (Metro DC), the traffic function - which I rely on in planning my commute - is a pitiful joke. Beyond that, Apple Maps is littered with locations of commercial establishments, while missing basic items such as mass transit stations. The final straw for me was a vacation in London. Apple Maps couldn't locate most addresses in central London, was incapable of finding any business in the country, and Apple Maps insisted that every city we visited outside of London didn't exist. IMO Apple should go back to Google for its iOS maps function.

Really? That's odd. I live in London and have only had a few problems there with names. I don't think I've ever had a problem with an address. And I've never had problems with locating cities outside of London either. I go to Uni in Nottingham and the standard maps has been fine. The only problem was the satellite image, which is fixed now. And, like with London, I had a few naming issues. But not with address and postcodes.

Example:
On my University Campus, one of the buildings seems to be named Nottingham Trent University, Clifton Campus. This is the campus for the University of Nottingham, a different Uni. So name issue. But, to test the issue, I typed in the postcode from Trent Uni Clifton Campus, and the right place comes up and has the same name.

That's just my experience anyway. A few places are named wrong or the business or building is placed in the wrong place. Experienced this in both Nottingham and London. But when I type the postcode, or address, no issue. Of course, we don't all have the same experiences. These naming issues do need to be fixed though, and then all is good! It looks like they might be focusing on satellite problems at the moment though, since the problems I have seen with this have been fixed, but no naming issues have...even though I reported them.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Google gives away many things to all the people in the world in exchange of their usage data, location data, browsing data etc. for better targeted ads which is their core business. Apple, although now lags behind Android, still has hundreds of millions of users. This is a population that Google cannot ignore. They will release maps with turn by turn in the App Store and Apple will approve it.

Exactly.

I just hope that Apple doesn't sits on the app for a while after Google has submitted it. They should approve it as soon as possible.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Google Maps?

No Thanks. Pass

So you like seeing broken images and running into random things with Apple Maps huh? Whatever floats your boat. Course Apple Maps might sink your boat into an ice burg.

I can do Street View from a browser. POI can easily be added on or I can leverage something like Foursquare's data.

Apple did the right thing wrt to Maps on iOS and if so many people weren't on their knees giving Google a Bravo Juliet they'd wipe off their mouth and do some research.

Pretty much what most people here to do Apple. :rolleyes:

If people actually did their research they'd realize the iPad mini, for instance, was outdated as soon as it was announced. But no they give Apple "Bravo Juliet" as you say. And there's mouths are still dirty while Apple laughs all the way to the bank.

NO YOU EDIT!

Enough of this.

It is never enough! :mad:

:p

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
The awkward moment when you realise you're dependent on Google to make your Apple phone functional.

:eek:

Anyone who has used the Apple maps app very much knows its fine and the hysteria is overblown. Or you could use one of many free non Google non Apple mapping apps.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
[url=http://i.imgur.com/pnRhzl.jpg]Image[/URL]

I for one really hope they approve Google Maps. It seems no one else can get Hong Kong right on their maps.

Bizarrely, Nokia Maps have romanized all the Chinese, so subway directions have completely useless translations.

This is a "minor" problem. You know, Apple Maps puts "Admiralty MTR Station" in Stanley :eek:

----------

Exactly.

I just hope that Apple doesn't sits on the app for a while after Google has submitted it. They should approve it as soon as possible.

With plethora of apps being updated for the iPhone 5 (NOT YOUTUBE!), the review process is much slower now, we need to wait for at least a month before the app is approved. :(

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Apple maps have been interesting, especially with Siri control, "Navigate Home", "Navigate to Natraj Tandoori" and away you go, pretty usefull stuff that I've not gotten from my expensive mapper apps.

BUT, Apple, please consider adding a NIGHT MODE, I frickken hate a bright white screen at night, seems like a basic feature, really.

Looking forward to seeing what Google can do, I'd gladly pay something for a decent app if they add the value that Google could bring.

Can't you just set invert colors on triple home click and then switch it at night?

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Thanks Google, please come save us from this big mess by Apple (just look at the stock price in reaction to the past 3 months...), . . . . (

Hmmm - bias much. You may want to note Google's market performance too. (Or perhaps you may not want to)

Apple is not alone in its loss of share price. Google was $768.05 on Oct 3rd, 2012, today $647.26, so they are feeling the fear of the "Cliff" as well.

At today's closing- Market Capitalization of the two companies:
Apple = $494.5 Billion, Google $212.7 Billion

Apple 1 year ago $377 / share. Today $525.62, a 39% gain year-over-year
Google 1 year ago $595 / share . Today $647.26, a 9% gain year-over-year

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I've had mostly minor issues with Apple's maps. Not unlike the minor issues I've had with Google's.
Definitely lacking in the volume of map data, but so far nothing has caused me any problems (like getting lost or being unable to find a place I've never been to).
Perhaps that unfortunate day will come, but so far the map situation hasn't been nearly as bad for me as it has apparently been for others.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
At today's closing- Market Capitalization of the two companies:
Apple = $494.5 Billion, Google $212.7 Billion

Apple 1 year ago $377 / share. Today $525.62, a 39% gain year-over-year
Google 1 year ago $595 / share . Today $647.26, a 9% gain year-over-year

Do you happen to know these numbers for Microsoft and Amazon?

Thanks.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I'm looking forward to it. I have found a good alternative for transit directions, but I'd prefer total integration. I like to be able to decide between transit and driving easily.

krigsmakten

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Anyone who has used the Apple maps app very much knows its fine and the hysteria is overblown. Or you could use one of many free non Google non Apple mapping apps.

Please tell me what you're smoking - Apple Maps is so dysfunctional that I fish out my old 3GS (that still has the old Google Maps app) when I need to find something. The old one works like a charm.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Would've been nice if Google wasn't stubborn in the first place.

The issue really is that Google was an Apple partner with a member on the Apple board who suddenly started competing with them in every market. To make matters worse, they were holding back the development of IOS. Keep in mind that Google's maps and mobile database was refined with Apple data. Then they were able to hold them hostage with their own development. Google only provided the back end data. Apple designed the interface.

----------

Melodramatic much. My Apple phone is very much functional without Google Maps.
Mine is much improved with out Google

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I think Google is trying too hard to get back in Apple's good grace, but Apple wants Google to disappear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.