Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I don't think they would fully block any of these. Might use them as bait to catch these guys in fact. Its not the consumers fault in the end.
Possession of stolen property is on the person who has possession of it. Regardless of whether they bought it from someone else or not.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
These will end up somewhere in Russia in the next 72 hours. Who do you think is doing the stealing at JFK these days?

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
On a positive note, if they are recovered before being sold, we may see iPad mini's with LTE available in Apple's Refurb store next month. :D

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Could this be them?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/3411784122.html

There's a few listed cheap but this guy says he has many in stock and they're all LTE and by the way he's tiered the pricing, asked for only a bit less than retail price and has a photo of lots of them, it seems legit imo.

A bit less? A 16gb LTE is $459 retail. He "selling" them for $300. Either it's some kind of empty box scam, a fake, or they are in fact hot.

StrudelTurnover

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Its not the consumers fault in the end.

Actually it is. #1) ignorance of the law is not a defence. #2) black markets exist because people want cheap stuff. You choose where you buy things from. You could go downtown to a retail store, instead of passing a roll of 20s to a guy with a card table on the street, or a craigslist ad that says "hey got a gift from my bro but I need the cash, make ya a good deal".

If nobody, anywhere, at all, bought pills from pharmacy spam e-mails, do you think we'd still have pharmacy spam? If people didn't want to see movies for cheap, would there be people sneaking shaky video cameras into theatres and selling DVDs on the street? Are there organised crime rings forging postage stamps anymore? No, criminals go where money exists. ;) Supply and demand.

It's the consumers' fault fundamentally, and often on the case by case basis too, because people like getting "a good deal" from "a guy". I've done it, even unwittingly at the time, no doubt of that.

When someone justifies it to themselves, that only makes them part of the problem.

Last edited:

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Doesn't matter to the guy that stole them. He sells them on the street or where ever and those that bought it will have no way of finding him again. Seller gets his money and the buyer ends up getting a visit from the police.

----------

In reality, most likely Apple will simply file an insurance claim and call it a day. Why bother wasting the time, money, and resources to attempt to track down each of the stolen iPads when they start hitting the market when they can file a claim, call it a day and move on. That's what insurance is for.

These insurance policies usually have a clause that obligates the company that suffered the loss to help recover the property. Apple might not have a huge incentive to recover the iPads, but the insurance company does. Insurance companies LIKE to recover the goods and put the thieves behind bars.

rotax

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
To thwart the resale of these devices and others who would steal them in the future, if I were Apple I'd brick them as soon as they got on a network. In the future, I'd ship them bricked so they could only be unlocked when registered with a proper sale.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
To thwart the resale of these devices and others who would steal them in the future, if I were Apple I'd brick them as soon as they got on a network. In the future, I'd ship them bricked so they could only be unlocked when registered with a proper sale.

Thats a terrible idea.

And that's essentially what they did with the iPhone before I believe the 4s.

You HAD to have it activated at an Apple store or carrier. It was bogus.

Also bricking iPads for people that might have no clue that it was even stolen is terrible.

My guess is all they will do is flag some and ask where the people bought them from to catch the guys.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Could this be them?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/3411784122.html

There's a few listed cheap but this guy says he has many in stock and they're all LTE and by the way he's tiered the pricing, asked for only a bit less than retail price and has a photo of lots of them, it seems legit imo.

If "many in stock" then where did did they come from? There's a limit on how many you can waltz in and purchase retail, which means would not be re-selling it right away below retail, and this setup is clearly not an authorized reseller, so... so... ??? They're hot somehow, from somewhere, or they're knockoffs, or empty boxes, or just a scam and when you show up you get robbed one way or another.

Jason Garza

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012

You could activate them at the register sort of like apple gift cards.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Wow no idea the iPad mini looks like my iPhone 5.

Time to start checking Craigslist in New York for some deals

Yeah, don't worry the Police and FBI will be checking Craigslist also. Don't waste your time. (yes, I know your joking) :cool: It will be interesting to see if they get caught. They have a limited window of opportunity to get maximum dollar for them. Safer to sell them 3 years from now, but then they get way less money. Most crooks are pretty dumb and will get caught. Wanting to get something for nothing is an attractive idea for some. ;)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The first person in this group of geniuses has been arrested. The FBI is currently looking for the truck:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/18/ipad-mini-fbi-arrest/?hpt=hp_t3

I read that some psychologists trying to figure out what makes someone a criminal; it turned out the most important trait was not some inborn evilness or lack of respect for the law, but an inability to consider far away consequences of your actions. According to the article, it should have been obvious to that man that he couldn't possibly not be caught.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.