Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I like the idea. I think it would be cool to have one before the Macintosh is released though, like a young, YOUNG, smelly, hippie Steve Jobs pitching an Apple II or something.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I am a huge Sorkin fan and this format intrigues me. It ill make for a much more entertaining movie then doing a 30 year life and times piece. Early Sorkin has chosen to capture jobs and not just tell his life story.

----------

I just can't help feel that having it feature solely on three product launches belittles the work Isaacson put into writing the book and just tosses aside so much more about Jobs that could be shown on screen.

To base a movie, based on a biography, around nothing more than product launches and backstage action just seems like a huge waste of some fantastic source material.

What about Sculley? What about NeXT? What about Pixar? What about his close bond with Ive? Do we really have to see three keynotes reenacted as nothing more than backstage footage?

A 100 scene movie with a minute given to major points is just a bad movie. As others have mentioned and Sorkin clearly said such projects do not make good films. Jobs has done too much in his life to adequately tell the story in 120 minutes. So Sorkin will target three defining moments, flesh them out, tie them together and deliver the essence of jobs. It is not a history lesson it is a movie designed to entertain and tell a story.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
This is stupid. Pirates of Silicon Valley is a mediocre TV movie that even Steve Jobs didn't think very highly of.

I'll stick to my so-called stupid opinion, thankyouverymuch. :p

Of course Jobs probably wouldn't have thought very highly of a tv movie that he didn't approve of. :rolleyes: Hell, he had to approve of the Walter Issacson book after all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Steve Jobs fan and consider him as one of my personal heroes. I would expect a telling of his life and his mindset from time to time rather than what happens half an hour before a Stevenote.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Read the rest of my post.

What you're saying still makes no sense and this "real time" (ugh, I'm tired of this term already) aspect has nothing to do with documentaries.

What's being described for Aaron Sorkin's approach is like the television show "24" or Alfred Hitchcock's "Rope". In an episode of 24, there are no jumps in time (ignore the commercial breaks). An hour of the show represents an hour passing in the world of that show's characters.

This… no. This is not something that describes any documentary that I can think of.

Veering off -- I think that this is a pretty exciting approach for the film. It sounds like a simple approach toward a dialogue driven character study, with Jobs probably being the only character to appear in all three acts.
It sounds minimal and simply designed in order to deliver a (hopefully) satisfying finished product that drives straight to the point of what it wants to say. I'm… pretty sure that was the intention, and I think it's a great idea.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
What you're saying still makes no sense and this "real time" (ugh, I'm tired of this term already) aspect has nothing to do with documentaries.

What's being described for Aaron Sorkin's approach is like the television show "24" or Alfred Hitchcock's "Rope". In an episode of 24, there are no jumps in time (ignore the commercial breaks). An hour of the show represents an hour passing in the world of that show's characters.

This… no. This is not something that describes any documentary that I can think of.

Veering off -- I think that this is a pretty exciting approach for the film. It sounds like a simple approach toward a dialogue driven character study, with Jobs probably being the only character to appear in all three acts.
It sounds minimal and simply designed in order to deliver a (hopefully) satisfying finished product that drives straight to the point of what it wants to say. I'm… pretty sure that was the intention, and I think it's a great idea.

Okay then, read the second of my posts. I agree, the real time concept is overworked to the point of being meaningless, that being the point. Even Sorkin isn't really talking about an actual real time film, but of three long scenes, which is hardly the same thing. It's just a buzzword, which appears to work perfectly, since we seem to be buzzing about it.

I was thinking of "Rope" as being possibly the only film to ever attempt to capture the impression of having been made all in one take in real time, though in fact it wasn't, if only because such a thing was impossible then.

hbt15

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
I hate to bag on Sorkin as he's done some great work......but this sounds like utter ****.

30 minutes in real time of steve before a product launch? How does that tell us anything about his life that viewers might cling to and gain a better understanding of what made him "steve".

Sounds like a bomb waiting to happen.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
****, now I'm expecting "here's to the crazy ones" at the end. i don't mind knowing about the real time scenes, but I wish he didn't give exactly how they're going to play out the final moments of the movie.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Name a documentary that takes place in real time.

The class of documentaries known as "Cinema Verité" or "Direct Cinema" is known for taking place in real time, and portraying real life as accurately and unobtrusively as possible. Shots are really quite long most of the time, as much as 10 minutes or more.

In all fairness, they can cover a relatively long period of time with cuts in between, but it's composed of sections of real time, much like I would expect Jobs' three product launches to be.

An example is "Don't Look Back," a chronicle by D.A. Pennebaker of Bob Dylan's 1965 tour of Great Britain.

I'm in a documentary film class now...

gctwnl

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
The Netherlands
Why those three? (Just curious). Another post I saw mentioned a NeXT event as being one the three. Did he say which three or is everyone just guessing?
Original Mac, NeXT and iPod would be very good choices as they are not so much the most important products per se, but they are the products related with Jobs' personal development. This is a biopic after all. The Mac was a hippie product, the NeXT was more a vision/ego product than even the Mac and the iPod was the first product that signaled his 'consumer experience' focus. There are also other personal things that come to a max around these products.

----------

I hate to bag on Sorkin as he's done some great work......but this sounds like utter ****.

30 minutes in real time of steve before a product launch? How does that tell us anything about his life that viewers might cling to and gain a better understanding of what made him "steve".

Sounds like a bomb waiting to happen.
Because it will be 30 minutes of interaction with people around him. That interaction, both style and content defines the man even more than a storyline where you see things 'happen' (like meeting his wife, etc.)

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
This is movie based on the biography? I somehow thought there will be a movie detailing his life.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
Good to see all of the writers and directors of MacRumors coming out to weigh in here. Sorkin clearly has no idea how to write good stories and produce great works.

oh.

Thank you for saying it for me! When will the geeks get it that technical expertise in one subject doesn't really translate to any other area in life? Especially art!

lifeshaper

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
This is movie based on the biography? I somehow thought there will be a movie detailing his life.
And since when was a biopic not detailing someone's life? It's just in a not-so-used not-quite-as-boring format as most others. I for one am looking forward to it.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I like the idea. I think it would be cool to have one before the Macintosh is released though, like a young, YOUNG, smelly, hippie Steve Jobs pitching an Apple II or something.

I agree with the young Jobs bit.

I think Steve said at his address at Stanford how he kind of bummed around staying with different people, getting meals from soup kitchens, dropping in to random classes. But he said some of those classes he took really helped him make the Mac (like calligraphy for knowing about font typesetting, etc).

I think that's a really interesting area to explore.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
And since when was a biopic not detailing someone's life? It's just in a not-so-used not-quite-as-boring format as most others. I for one am looking forward to it.

Me too, but I meant is it the same one they were talking about a few months ago, with the story of Steve's life and stuff?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
30-minute scenes will take place backstage before a major product launch. Sorkin seems to have written a rather unique film.

You can't modify a superlative. It is commonly done (e.g. "very unique"), but it's still a no-no.

Yes, the grammar pedant is here.

(I don't like the commonly used phrase...I don't think the word "Nazi" should be used casually)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The class of documentaries known as "Cinema Verité" or "Direct Cinema" is known for taking place in real time, and portraying real life as accurately and unobtrusively as possible. Shots are really quite long most of the time, as much as 10 minutes or more.

In all fairness, they can cover a relatively long period of time with cuts in between, but it's composed of sections of real time, much like I would expect Jobs' three product launches to be.

An example is "Don't Look Back," a chronicle by D.A. Pennebaker of Bob Dylan's 1965 tour of Great Britain.

I'm in a documentary film class now...

Right, but I think even more to the point if the single-camera, no-cut technique is used in this film, I can promise it will be called a "documentary style" film. If it isn't, it's unlikely that many will read the result as "real time." The hazard in either case is that the long scenes will be dismissed as a novelty approach (the fate of "Rope" when it was released, incidentally).

FWIW, the limitation on any unedited movie scene is ten minutes since that's the length of a single film cartridge. Hitchcock got around that constraint in "Rope" with the strategic use of blackouts, but he still altered the camera angle several times in the movie. I suppose this limitation would not apply to movies shot digitally, but it was an important issue in the "old days."

You can't modify a superlative. It is commonly done (e.g. "very unique"), but it's still a no-no.

Yes, the grammar pedant is here.

(I don't like the commonly used phrase...I don't think the word "Nazi" should be used casually)

In this case, the problem goes beyond modifying a superlative, since the phrase "rather unique" is an oxymoron. That said, you could get away with this if the intention was to describe something that is very scarce or nearly one-of-a-kind, but you'd have to be clear about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.