Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
I ordered one of these several days ago. Minutes later I realized it doesn't support the docks that have the optical-out feature. I immediately emailed them to cancel the order. I still haven't back from them on that, instead, they sent me an email that my order shipped. I looked at the tracking info - and it turns out it refers to the dock that shipped several months ago.

Good luck dealing with them.

:mad:

What exactly are you talking about?

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Hahahah. An apple forum complaining about overpriced anything? Dudes we own the most overpriced phones and laptops in the market. 89 is nothing to the amounts we pay for apple products.

allapon

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
I already have Elevation dock for quite sometime. I return all of my speaker dock and use this dock to use my iPhone as Alarm Clock.

I also order lightning adapter to use it with iPhone 5 too. I plan to upgrade my iPhone next year, might wait for iPhone 5s to release next years. No need to nut new dock!!!

laxman101

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
I also got a dock from the kickstarter campaign, and I love it. I use it bedside to charge my phone overnight and as an alarm stand in the morning for it. Works and looks amazing. It really is a just a beautiful piece of metal.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
I'm sure many will find this perfectly acceptable and awesome, but $89 for a piece of aluminum as a dock is simply not for me. I'm really surprised that people will spend this much money on something that does nothing but hold up a phone.

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
I bought the dock early on for much lower than what its being sold for now. It was a great dock for 30 pin iphones and mac users. The metal base pretty much matches the aluminum chassis of the mac mini on my desk.
As previously mentioned, its expensive but it was a great way to stand up my phone and watch notifications as they came in. Of course charging was a bonus too.
After all the kudos, there was one important reason I bought the dock. They made a 30 pin low friction connector. You could pull your iphone straight up and the base wouldn't jump all over the place. I was sold on this reason alone.
Not unfortunately thats lost. Even though they have made the lightning adaptor(which I purchased) The phone will pull the dock up off the desk so you have to pull the phone with one hand and hold the dock with the other. I know first world problems, but the main selling point of the device is gone now.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I bought the dock early on for much lower than what its being sold for now. It was a great dock for 30 pin iphones and mac users. The metal base pretty much matches the aluminum chassis of the mac mini on my desk.
As previously mentioned, its expensive but it was a great way to stand up my phone and watch notifications as they came in. Of course charging was a bonus too.
After all the kudos, there was one important reason I bought the dock. They made a 30 pin low friction connector. You could pull your iphone straight up and the base wouldn't jump all over the place. I was sold on this reason alone.
Not unfortunately thats lost. Even though they have made the lightning adaptor(which I purchased)
The phone will pull the dock up off the desk so you have to pull the phone with one hand and hold the dock with the other. I know first world problems, but the main selling point of the device is gone now.

Are you sure that's the case?
Because if so the dock+ is looking much more attractive. It's made out of solid steel so it's heavy enough to stay on the desk when pulling up the iPhone 5 (watch the video). Sure steel isn't as pretty as aluminium, but they make a nice matt black version

longhegrin

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
It certainly looks good, but it's way too expensive for a dock imo.

sesnir, if you cannot afford this, then don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you, sesnir.

Likewise, if you think a BMW X6 is way too expensive, then don't buy one.

----------

Hahahah. An apple forum complaining about overpriced anything? Dudes we own the most overpriced phones and laptops in the market. 89 is nothing to the amounts we pay for apple products.

Finally, somebody with brains!
Yes. $89 is nothing compared to the amounts we pay for Apple products.

Maybe the people complaining here do not own any Apple products, they might just enjoy complaining.

----------

Doesn't anyone else find that to be a bit insane?

No. Nobody else finds this to be a bit insane.

Mostly because none of us are forced to buy this. Our iPhone 5 works perfectly without this dock. We can easily choose not to buy this.

If you cannot afford to buy this, don't whine and complain about it. It is not their fault you don't have enough money. Would you blame BMW and Audi for making cars that you cannot afford, Elvin77 ??

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
sesnir, if you cannot afford this, then don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you, sesnir.

Likewise, if you think a BMW X6 is way too expensive, then don't buy one.

----------

Finally, somebody with brains!
Yes. $89 is nothing compared to the amounts we pay for Apple products.

Maybe the people complaining here do not own any Apple products, they might just enjoy complaining.

----------

No. Nobody else finds this to be a bit insane.

Mostly because none of us are forced to buy this. Our iPhone 5 works perfectly without this dock. We can easily choose not to buy this.

If you cannot afford to buy this, don't whine and complain about it. It is not their fault you don't have enough money. Would you blame BMW and Audi for making cars that you cannot afford, Elvin77 ??

Somebody with a brain? That statement is completely untrue. "We own the most overpriced phone"? What are you talking about? Most people get their iphone 4,4s, and 5 for $200 dollars, same as all other Moto, Samsung, Nokia phones. No, let's not go into the whole, you are paying it off with monthly fee. Because all the other smartphone users are paying the SAME THING. I never understand why people say iPhone is expensive when almost all brand of smartphones falls within the $200 price range. Now, if you want to tell me an unsubsidized iPhone is $650+, well look again, any Moto or Samsung unsubsidized phone are also around that price.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
Have one. Miles better than the iPhone-specific docks or Apple Universal Dock. Almost zero insertion effort, and always a simple clean one-handed removal.

I got in early on the adapters when Marco Arment spilled the beans before Elevation had officially announced it.

My iPhone 5 arrives tomorrow, so my adapter (and hopefully a second dock if my family reads my wish list) can't come soon enough.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
The only thing insane is that there's still no freaking approved iPhone 5 dock that you can buy right now, 2 months after launch.

These guys could charge as much they want for it, there's no competition.

Not entirely true--there was a story a while back about Belkin's Charge + Sync Dock. Of course, it's about the same as this--you need to bring your own cable. Some day...

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Judging by the good reviews, it appears to be a beautiful little dock, solid, and well constructed. But for that price, they could have made it a dual dock, with two charging bays, or at the very least they should have included the Lightning cable. :(

Great plan, and then they could have made it also charge anything taking mini-usb, and also allow iPads to sit in it sideways, and also allow it to float through magnetic turbines, and given it away for free, and made it have flashing LEDs on it!

I think you miss the point of "understated simplicity"

Although IMO the dock is too fat and clunky looking

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
This in no way should be compared to the $30 dock Apple once sold. It's like comparing the fit and finish of a MBP to a cheap all plastic notebook. I have one of these docks from the Kickstarter project and the finish is as good as it gets. Solid piece of aluminum machined into what you see, takes the iPhone with most cases left on, can easily take the phone out with one hand without lifting the whole unit.

The price is high because you're paying for something that was mostly built in the U.S. and also has a fit and finish beyond that of most docks. No one complains when Apple charges a higher price for their premium build.

ctcampbell

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
So they are producing an aluminium dock for me to put my aluminium phone into? And they don't expect that to result in a seriously scratched phone?

Dades

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Interesting.

It's seems the optimum weight of iPhone docks is inversely proportional to that of the devises that go into them.

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Is it just me or does that picture initially look like it was a red ribbon Christmas gift?

Anyway, I know about CNC machining and working with a solid block of aluminum like that isn't that hard or laborious. Cost-wise in theory would definitely not cost $89, in fact I don't think it would even cost $50 at best! BUT, people have to make their profit somehow. Talk about marking up the prices!

And yes, I, myself think this is way too expensive.

BTW, I'm eating noodles for breakfast. Just in case you were wondering. :)

moobatticus

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2012
So they are producing an aluminium dock for me to put my aluminium phone into? And they don't expect that to result in a seriously scratched phone?

Depends on how careless you are with your phone. And whether you care if the back gets a scratch.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I was a backer of this project on KickStarter. The dock is a thing of beauty. As one reviewer stated it's "The dock apple should have made in the first place." It looks right at home next to my iMac and did "stay put" to the desk when I removed my 4S. Something that cannot be said for 99% of the other docks made. I was bummed when Apple changed the connector but glad to see the retrofitted it to work with the 5.

Now I'm going for a ride to get milk in my Ferrari. Later! ;)

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Well according to their site my adapter SHOULD have shipped yesterday. But, based on the troubles they had getting the docks shipped, I'll be shocked it I get the adapter any time soon.

UPDATE: Ha ha ha ha! After typing the above post I checked their site and in fact they have pushed back the date. I knew it. Might be a nice dock but these jokers have no idea how to run a business. It's a deluxe dock but their ability to meet their ship dates is HORRIBLE! Any new buyers, beware!!!!!

Last edited:

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
I like the dock, but I'm concerned about the strain that Lightning Adapter is going to put on the cable.

Even without the bottom plate attached, the cable is already severely bent near the boot. Once that bottom plate is attached, I can't see how that cable is at anything less than 90 degrees (not good).

Can anyone with the Lightning Adapter comment on that?

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Just got my lightning adapter and the lightning cable simply doesn't fit. No matter how you move, mangle, or arrange it, it doesn't fit into the proper holes that were designed solely for this.

This company is riddled with issues.

mitchmeister

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
iPhone 5 adapter sucks

The $15 extra iPhone 5 adapter (which only took a week to ship unlike the dock which took 8 months!) is a crap solution. The adapter sticks out beyond the "basin" of the dock which means your phone don't sit very securely in the dock at all.

2012%206:25:16%20PM.png

Needs a (non Apple) cable with a much shorter adapter body so that the cable can be bent without forcing the adapter up too high.

This product has put me right off Kickstarter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.