Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bernyberns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
Ok so a couple weeks before the iPhone 5 came out I bought a iPhone 4s..joined my wife's plan.. My first smartphone ever lol.. I love the phone. My wife has a iPhone 3s.. The phone is a year old and about 2 months ago she dropped her phone and cracked the screen..she is not eligible for an upgrade nor am I but I want the iPhone 5.. I'm wondering if I could hand my phone 4s down to her and I get a iPhone 5..will AT&T allow this??

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Yes you are good to go! But how are you gonna get the iphone 5 if you are not eligible for an upgrade? Buy full price or open another line aka ghost line just to get an iphone 5 at $199?!

bernyberns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
I'm not sure..I just figured it would make sense instead of repairing her screen..plus I want the 5 and she could careless about which phone she has..I'm guessing AT&T might charge me a higher fee for the 5?..but since I'm handing it down to my wife the phone will still be used and paid for

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
If it has been six months since you upgraded then you can usually pay an additional $250 ($450 total) to upgrade. I don't think you can't do that on the same line again, so you will have to pay $650 on that line if you want to upgrade it again before 20 months is up.
Fixing the 3GS screen through Apple is $150.

bernyberns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
600+? Lol forget that..that is crazy talk..oh well I was just thinking since I'm not getting rid of the phone and giving it to my wife it would be no big deal..what that about a ghost line lover?

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Ghost line is pretty much open a new line so u can benefit of the $199 iphone 5 with a 24 months contract. Just combien the line to your family plan and cancel the data plan after first month of use.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
600+? Lol forget that..that is crazy talk..oh well I was just thinking since I'm not getting rid of the phone and giving it to my wife it would be no big deal..what that about a ghost line lover?

Typically is only $450 the first time. If you want another one then it is $650. You can start the order on Apple's site to see what they want to charge you.
The ghost line works well. It's still a little over $250, but it is spread out over two years, and you have an extra line if you want to use a dumb phone (or know someone who does).
Keep in mind the ghost line will become significantly more expensive if you want to switch to one of the new family share plans. Then it will be $30 a month instead of $10 a month. If you aren't planning on doing that it's not a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.