Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Im trying to decide which way to go.

I was gonna buy the 4 today but I saw it was 100$ more expensive than the 3, which basically has the most important thing to me: the HD screen.

The 4 not only has the A6, it also has guaranteed to get iOS 7 and 8, while the 3 will only get iOS 7, and iOS 6 hasnt brought anything great to me.

Still, I dont plan of buying another Ipad in the future after this one, since I will use it mainly for web browsing and reading PDFs. Thats why the HD screen is the most important thing, but I wouldnt mind having the extra power and speed of the A6, although in some videos it appears its not that big of a difference (but maybe in the future it will).

Would you buy now the 3 for 100$ less or the 4 to have a better product in the long run? Consider this the last Ipad you will buy in 5 or more years. Im coming from Ipad 1.

Last edited:

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Would you buy now the 3 for 100$ less or the 4 to have a better product in the long run? Consider this the last Ipad you will buy in 5 or more years. Im coming from Ipad 1.

$100 over 5 years = $20/year

If you were to ever sell either of the iPads, you would get more for the 4.

Therefore, it is really not a significant cost difference, and I would go with the 4 all day long.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
With Target $60 gift card (if u are in USA) nex Friday. It's only $40-50 price difference.

Get the 4 at Target next Friday. Plenty of stock.

Supra Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Texas
That 100 bucks goes further with the 4.

Benchmarks aren't everything, but looking at those, the iPad 3 could be called the iPad 2 w/ Retina display.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
i had an ipad 3 before the 4. and yes, putting them side by side, the experience seems negligible.
websites only pop up 1 second after the 3....
HOWEVER, using both continuously, the 4 is miles ahead than the 3.
the 4 wouldn't choke on large websites, the 3 would. the 4 would never stutter, the 3 would occasionally.
for my money, the 4 is worth it. don't just trust the side by side comparisons on youtube.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I would buy the 4, no question. Facetime hd, more years of ios updates, and same connector as all iphones going forward. But I have no idea how much $100 means to you. For some people that might be their discretionary money for a month (or more), and for others it might be one bottle of wine (or less). So it's very hard to say whether something is worth a certain amount to a stranger.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Not trying to hijack the thread but, let's say if i'm buying an ipad to tide me over till ipad 5. Would you guys recommend getting the ipad 3 for $100 less or the ipad 4

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Money is not a problem, but I always like to spend less if possible.

Ipad 4, in theory, will only get one more iOS update, which would be 8. The A6 is very very nice, but my main use will be reading PDFs and web browsing. I dont play heavy games or use iMovie or any other intensive app.

Thats why Im liking the 100$ discount on the 3. I didnt feel the need of upgrading to it when it came out, but recently Im starting to feel tired of the Ipads 1 screen Its so bad for reading anything.

Im just not sure how important that A6 can be for my use of the Ipad.

Those 100$ could be used for any other gadget in the future.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Could potentially be more than one iOS update. iPhone 3G topped out at iOS 4 (and ran very badly) while the 3GS can run 6. iPad one topped out at iOS 5, and I bet iPad 2 gets 7, as it (and the mini, using the same processor) are currently for sale and will be at the time iOS 7 is introduced.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Personally, I would go with the iPad4, but not because of future updates. I can't predict future Apple behavior any better than Gene Munster, and Apple has certainly done things differently than I expect at times, but I would be surprised if iOS7 was the last update for iPad3. Sure there is a processor bump in the 4, and the new lightning connector, but for the most part these are the same iPad under the hood. There is not a big enough difference in tech for me to think that the iPad3 is going to be abandoned after iOS7 ships. If anything, I would expect them to give these customers longer than normal to make up for releasing the iPad4 so quickly.

But as mentioned, I would personally go with the 4th gen and not worry about the $100. But you gotta do what you gotta do :D

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
As noted, if you plan to re-sell the device in the next 2 years or so, you will probably re-coup much of that $100 difference at resale.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Could potentially be more than one iOS update. iPhone 3G topped out at iOS 4 (and ran very badly) while the 3GS can run 6. iPad one topped out at iOS 5, and I bet iPad 2 gets 7, as it (and the mini, using the same processor) are currently for sale and will be at the time iOS 7 is introduced.

If the Ipad 2 gets iOS 7 then the Ipad 3 should get iOS 8, right? I dont see Apple pissing the 3 owners much more if they see that iPad 2 still gets iOS updates and they dont.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
That 100 bucks goes further with the 4.

Benchmarks aren't everything, but looking at those, the iPad 3 could be called the iPad 2 w/ Retina display.

iPad 4 could be called iPad 3 with lightning and CPU upgrade that noone takes advantage of.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
If you already had a 3 I don't know that I would but without already owning one, I think the 4 is a no brainer. If you price match gift card deals its less than 100. Best buy price matched the target $40 gift card deal on mine.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
If you already had a 3 I don't know that I would but without already owning one, I think the 4 is a no brainer. If you price match gift card deals its less than 100. Best buy price matched the target $40 gift card deal on mine.

For me theres no gift cards where I live. Its 100$ for sure.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
If the Ipad 2 gets iOS 7 then the Ipad 3 should get iOS 8, right? I dont see Apple pissing the 3 owners much more if they see that iPad 2 still gets iOS updates and they dont.

iPad 3 will definitely get 7. My theory is iPad 2 will also, as it's a currently shipping model. But that might be the last update for both of them. Some iOS devices get 2 upgrades (e.g. iPhone 3G) and some get 3 (iPhone 3GS). My bet is that iPad 3 only gets two, as it won't be a shipping model at the time of iOS 8 (or even 7, but it has to get that). iPad 4, meanwhile, might stop at 8 or might go to 9. So iPad 4 will get at least one more year of upgrades, maybe two.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
iPad 3 will definitely get 7. My theory is iPad 2 will also, as it's a currently shipping model. But that might be the last update for both of them. Some iOS devices get 2 upgrades (e.g. iPhone 3G) and some get 3 (iPhone 3GS). My bet is that iPad 3 only gets two, as it won't be a shipping model at the time of iOS 8 (or even 7, but it has to get that). iPad 4, meanwhile, might stop at 8 or might go to 9. So iPad 4 will get at least one more year of upgrades, maybe two.

Thats what I think also.

Right now I think Im gonna go for the 3. My plan is to buy a new ipad for the screen to have better PDF reading and web browsing basically. I dont use that many apps.

Then, next year, I might buy the new Nexus 7 or another mini cheap Android tablet to do stuff that I cant do on iOS.

Ill probably keep the 3 for a very, very long time. I dont plan on selling it to buy another one. With two different mobile OS I can do pretty much everything I need, so I wouldnt need another Ipad in the future.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
The iPad 4 would be the better choice in my opinion. The increased speed would be great -- it will be able to power most intensive games at its native resolution, or very close to it, and web browsing, etc., should be incredibly snappy. The 3 has inferior WiFi, cameras, processor, graphics, and possibly battery life as well.

Though the iPad 3 is great, it took a few hits in comparison to the iPad 2 to achieve the high resolution display, such as battery life and performance in intensive apps.

Mother'sDay

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
I love my ipad3 and bought another (refurb) ipad3 for my dd just because it's such a great value. However we don't use the wifi or cell with it except when we go out. At home we use it for apps, pdfs, etc., no surfing. When I go out and try to use the wifi, I think it's pain in the butt slow. (personal opinion, guess I'm spoiled by my imac and good internet) If you plan to surf with it, you should look at the benchmarks. From what I've seen, the wifi is twice as fast on the 4 vs. the 3. I wouldn't get the 3 in your shoes. Get the 4.

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I got a refurbed 64GB Ipad 3. I couldn't justify the $150 price difference between that and a new Ipad 4. Is my 3 a little slow... yes? It is worth another $150 I don't think so.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Toughie. If you were going to sell in a year or two and buy a new one, I'd suggest the iP3 so as to minimize the loss during sale.

But you're in it for the long haul, albeit for relatively undemanding uses. I use my 3 primarily for the same things.

There's a couple of videos comparing the iP3 to the iP4. One shows basic tasks (starting, opening apps, surfing web pages) where there's little difference between the two. The other shows more intensive apps (such as editing photos) where the 4 shows a substantial improvement.

The problem is that we can only guess as to what next year will bring, much less 2017. There will be a point before then when the iP4 may get an iOS update that the iP3 won't receive. And at that point, you may stop getting app updates for your iP3. At probably a later point, app developers will stop supporting the 3 as well. The iP3 will still use the same apps and have the same performance it does today, it will just seem slow compared to the newest models.

I suspect both will be relatively outdated in 2017-18 and be only good for relatively undemanding consumer applications. But in the interim, the iP4 will probably have longer legs due to the increased horsepower under the hood, and be supported in iOS and ordinary apps for a bit longer.

That said, I'd get the refurbed base model iP3 since it meets your needs today and stash the savings towards an upgrade later on. If the iP5 or iP6 comes out with some "Mother of God, how did Western Civilization survive until now?!?" feature, you'll be able to upgrade a bit less painfully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.