Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Im new to kickstarter. So if I pledge for the dock and they don't meet the goal, do they still ship one to me?
You might want to read up on Kickstarter if you're not familiar with it. It's not a store with products on the shelf so an unfunded project isn't going to be able to supply you with anything. Also, as stated in a prior post: even funding doesn't guarantee that you'll get anything in a timely fashion.

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter basics?ref=nav

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I can't believe there are no authorized iPhone 5 docks to date. I'm talking something from Apple (never happening, I know) or a verified 3rd party like JBL, etc. Not a stereo dock, etc. Just a simple dock. Ugh. :mad:

goodgnus

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Anyone ordered from iphone5mod and received theirs?

I ordered the dock + lightning cable on 24th Oct and they have yet to ship my order. Sent 2 emails on 10 and 14 Nov to cancel the order but received no response from them :(

I very strongly believe that all iPhone5mod is doing is buying those things from ebay and reselling them at a markup. So, you're probably stuck waiting for them to receive a new batch they bought on ebay so they can ship to you.

----------

that belkin dock is probably the best one so far
still a little clunky

I agree. It looks like the best option so far. I'm just surprised they didn't find a way to better secure the lightning cable so it stays in place when removing your iPhone.

I bought the iPhone5mod dock (bought it straight from ebay on November 2nd instead of paying more to go through iPhone5mod as a reseller). I have a tracking number that says I should receive it today, though the date on my order said I'd get it tomorrow. It should be here soon, so we'll see. If it doesn't work, I'll try the Belkin dock next.

----------

I am a big fan of Belkin. they always have the coolest and most innovative stuff out there.
I just got the new iPhone 5 charger dock today.
It is just about the worst accessory you can buy.
Docking the iPhone is easy. Just plug it in, But as soon as you try to take it off the dock, the whole cable comes with it.

Is there any way to secure the lightning cable somehow it at the rear of the dock? ...to prevent more of the wire from sliding INTO the Belkin dock, I mean? It may take a bit of a DIY approach, but that could do the trick.

----------

I solved the loose cable on the belkin by placing 2 strips of electrical tape perpendicular across the slot on the bottom where the cable runs through. Then put the pieces back together, and cable no longer moves. But for $30, it's not worth it.

NOTE TO SELF: Keep reading the thread before replying. LOL!

goodgnus

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1610299429/complete-dock-the-best-ipad-dock-and-more

Didn't care for the CompleteDock, but I like the new FineDock.

Hoping it gets funded and actually can deliver before the year's end...

That looks GREAT! I'm not convinced they're going to reach their funding though. They've only got about 2 weeks left, and they aren't that much further along than they were at the beginning of the month when I was having doubts about them reaching their goal.

I hope they do... but I'm not convinced.

blugel

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
That looks GREAT! I'm not convinced they're going to reach their funding though. They've only got about 2 weeks left, and they aren't that much further along than they were at the beginning of the month when I was having doubts about them reaching their goal.

I hope they do... but I'm not convinced.

Yeah, not looking good for them

So I'm next hoping that http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1813249476/podi-m-the-beautiful-dock-that-matches-your-iphone gets funded (but again, I have my doubts about this one making it as well)....

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
This is another kickstarter one, but one that I've been keeping my eyes on. Looks like a really good product, and it has support for the iPhone, iPad Mini and I believe the iPad 4:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dockplus/charging-dock-for-iphone-5

One of the founders works for Google, so he seems somewhat adept at what he's doing. Probably the biggest selling point is the easy on and off from the dock since the connector is flexible.

Edit: I just scooped up the last early bird special for this dock, for $49 and getting everything you need, not that bad of a deal

zzz99

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
Thank you so much for the pictures and review!

I better wait until they start offering it from Amazon/Bestbuy/Apple or B&H.

Because they have much better return policy!

Received my Belkin dock today. I will add some photos here. First, the dock does not come with any cable, so you provide your own cable, so there is no issue with charging and syncing. It is well built and works with or without a case with no problems. It is not heavy enough that you can remove phone from dock with one hand, but it does have a rubber pad that keeps it from sliding. When removing the phone from dock, the cable does slide up just a tad, but you can easily re seat it by pushing down on connector. Is it worth $30? Meh. I'm still debating whether or not to send it back. I would prefer a dock with the lightning connector built in.

Here is the dock un assembled. It just attaches magnetically. Image

Here is the dock assembled.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
I did finally get my Elevation docks in and I must say, after bitching and waiting for what felt like a year. These things are amazing. I had to order two lightning adapters so my iPhone 5's could fit but they are flawless. Really the perfect size and weight. :)

mkbook

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
I did finally get my Elevation docks in and I must say, after bitching and waiting for what felt like a year. These things are amazing. I had to order two lightning adapters so my iPhone 5's could fit but they are flawless. Really the perfect size and weight. :)

It's a great dock but they say with the new lightning connector the "friction has increased" and you no longer can take the iPhone out of the dock without holding it down. I still ordered the lightning adapter since it'll be good enough for work.

I'm really hoping podi-m gets funded! It'll be perfect for my iPhone and iPad mini.

blugel

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
This is another kickstarter one, but one that I've been keeping my eyes on. Looks like a really good product, and it has support for the iPhone, iPad Mini and I believe the iPad 4:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dockplus/charging-dock-for-iphone-5

One of the founders works for Google, so he seems somewhat adept at what he's doing. Probably the biggest selling point is the easy on and off from the dock since the connector is flexible.

Edit: I just scooped up the last early bird special for this dock, for $49 and getting everything you need, not that bad of a deal

I really like this one as well. However, the non-availability until March ultimately turned me off of this.

Really gunning for the Podi-m.

Rangerfan

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Good luck getting an answer or a replacement from these people.
I contacted them many times about the status of my order and nothing...
:(
I got a refund authorized through Paypal. Only took one day. So the search starts again.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Made2Dock.com is very close to coming out with theirs.
I pre-ordered one.
I'll post back my findings once I receive it.
I have several of their previous version for our iphone 4 and 4S's and they are fabulous docks. Very good customer service as well.

----------

I also heard back from Braeburn Acoustics and they are indeed coming out with a Pro version. Their current version which I have is a very good value for the price. He said the pro will have the lightning cable incorporated into the dock as well as some other features but this lightning cable thing from Apple really has 3rd party manufacturers by the you know what's!

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
On to the next dock. Belkin was a failure. Received this dock today, and oddly enough, the Chinese knock off works. Charges and sync's for half the price. You still need 2 hands to remove phone. It's a bit tight, but works. Simple as that. Works fine with or without case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251175309726?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

E340BBA8-59B8-4CF1-A629-9E85E32B5DC6-1328-0000001C5A67456C.jpg

FB96406D-9DA5-40BA-AF36-E3974654AEF2-1328-0000001C484ACB80.jpg

zzz99

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
Hi darster,

Can you post a close up of the lightning port on the dock? Thanks!!!

So did you return the Belkin dock because of this?

bandityo

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Does anyone think these docks need back support cause the iphone is so tall ? i see some cases have it and some down.....hate for it to lean and bend the connector or something ?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
i want a simple small dock like the Apple dock for the iPhone 4...:confused:

My guess is that authorized third party docks that simply charge will come to the market sooner than later. Having to use your Lightning cable in conjunction with a dock is a half-assed answer IMO.

Despite Schiller's answer, not having an authorized Apple iPhone 5 dock is a mistake.

goodgnus

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
On to the next dock. Belkin was a failure. Received this dock today, and oddly enough, the Chinese knock off works. Charges and sync's for half the price. You still need 2 hands to remove phone. It's a bit tight, but works. Simple as that. Works fine with or without case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251175309726?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I just got this in the mail today. Mine seems to charge, but it doesn't initiate a sync the way plugging the lightning cable straight into the iPhone does. Am I missing something? Are you sure yours is syncing?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I just got this in the mail today. Mine seems to charge, but it doesn't initiate a sync the way plugging the lightning cable straight into the iPhone does. Am I missing something? Are you sure yours is syncing?
Yes, syncs just fine.

goodgnus

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Yes, syncs just fine.

So, just to confirm... you put the iPhone in the dock and it immediately initiates a sync without you doing anything else?

I ask because I have the same dock. It charges my iPhone, and I can initiate a sync in iTunes... but putting my iPhone in the dock doesn't initiate a sync. I tried turning off wifi to make sure my iPhone, while in the dock, was definitely syncing over the lightning cable. So, mine is definitely syncing over the lightning cable, but when I put my iPhone in the dock, it does not initiate a sync.

It does charge. And it will sync. But it won't automatically sync.

Holy cow, the lightning plug built into this dock is so tight on my iPhone that I don't think I trust it. It's way too tight.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
So, just to confirm... you put the iPhone in the dock and it immediately initiates a sync without you doing anything else?

Yes, it syncs automatically. Do you have "Open itunes when this iphone connected" checked in itunes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.