Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
How was it irrational ?

I'm pretty sure I rationalized my position. Clearly too !

Maybe you have comprehension problems ?

Or GOD FORBID anyone say ANYTHING cross about the all mighty Apple. Or present an opinion that isn't mindless ass kissing ......

Good Grief :rolleyes:

Why do you put a space in between words and punctuation? Five periods for an ellipses? Randomly capitalized words? It makes you look crazy, dude. Trust me, when I worked at a newspaper we would get letters from bonafide crazy people and they wrote much in the same manner.

And all you post on here is complaining about Apple. Not saying it's an infallible company but seriously, you come off as some sort of subtle troll. It's like if I were to post on a Fandroid forum and only complain about how Google is messing up.

At that point, I'm the one with the real problems.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
These new iMacs are thinner for a simple reason and it is not because of looks.
The 2011 27" weight is 30.5 lbs. The new 27" is listed as weighing 21 lbs. That is a huge difference in weight when a company ships them from China to destination. Shipping companies charge their customers by weight of the product. So consider this, Apple sells 1 million new 27" iMacs (at 9.5 lbs less per unit than previous version) that equates to 9,500,000 pounds less shipping weight.... 9.5 million less pounds Apple has to pay for shipping. Apple like any responsible company will save a buck to make a buck. No optical drive is another way for them to make a profit. Personally I could care less if it is thinner or if it has a bulge in the back. When I use my machine the only thing I am looking at is the front face and that looks good to me. Quit whining, nobody is forcing anybody to buy one. I do find it deceiving that Apple is deliberately avoiding to show the bulge at the back. All companies try to deceive the public to make their products look better unfortunately I/We try to hold Apple to a higher standard. I think usually Apple does deliver to a higher standard but not this time.

Which mean that they should be cheaper to make and therefore cheaper to buy. Apple is selling you less for more money. God, no wonder they make so much when customers are willing to pay more for less.

lifeshaper

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Which mean that they should be cheaper to make and therefore cheaper to buy. Apple is selling you less for more money. God, no wonder they make so much when customers are willing to pay more for less.
In a sense, you're right. But you also have to remember that as components become smaller they become more expensive to manufacture. Although the manufacture price is nowhere near as high as the retail price.

Sidenote: Just as well I didn't buy one, then.

Last edited:

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Best part of all is that if Apple made the iMac into an iMac pro and made it more like the HP Z1 and touted how great it is for professional use and the benefits of making it larger then the people excited about "thinner edges" would be doing a complete 180 right now.

Even though the techs are used to cracking all this stuff open I would still think some of them hate their job. As much as I do think J. Ive does awesome designs, I believe he would be better with a filter to syphon out the BS ideas. Or just plain weird ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Apple.com still says November / December for 21.XX" / 27" respectively...just saying

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I don't understand why desktop Macs should be thinner? :confused:

Exactly.

Part of the reason I've not had an iMac in a long time is that it's easier to work on a laptop (MB or MBP - obviously not the MBA or rMBP).

Apple is allowing form to dictate function, and in the long run it will be to their detriment.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Hmmm.....

It does look like they are spending a lot on extra manufacturing capacity overall. They just outspent Intel of all people last quarter for CapEx

Unfortunately we're not sure how much of that is toward the new Cinema Display.

Apple Television anyone?

That being said the lack of the dual analog/digital input is a pain in the butt - it means my entire audio chain upstream of the Mac would have to be replaced - I'd have to get a USB3 or Thunderbolt digital audio interface and then scuttle a perfectly good audio mixer to boot. No thanks. My 2009 iMac is fine.

Last edited:

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Apple keeps jumping the gun in their design. They wanted a really thin desktop but the components aren't there yet to make it happen without making some compromises. They did it with the colored iMacs. Way too soon for an all in one, the tech wasn't there yet. They did it when they removed the floppy disk drive pre-maturely also. Everybody had to get an external zip drive just to be able to move files around. They're currently doing it to optical drives. It's still a couple of years off before we can abandon optical drives, yet they've removed it from all of their new lineups.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
We want that which we can't have. Marketing genius.....just saying

PS lets keep this "just saying" going...your turn

I'm really hoping we blew this whole thing out of proportion. "just sayin" . . . . .:D

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
In my business, I don't want to buy another device for already cluttered desks. I want to be able to rely upon a computer company who will provide the latest computing power on a reliable basis, and not strip it to bare bones, by eliminating the dvd drive, which is very important in my work. This delay in release is insane and is hurting my business.

Yeah right.. :rolleyes:

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
Best part of all is that if Apple made the iMac into an iMac pro and made it more like the HP Z1 and touted how great it is for professional use and the benefits of making it larger then the people excited about "thinner edges" would be doing a complete 180 right now. [..]

HP Z1 now thats Good design i own a mac pro but if apple made the iMac into an iMax(HP Z1 style) i would definitely buy one, personally make a computer so difficult for a user or even a skilled technician really riles me.
The "old" version isn't even still for sale is it? and the rufurb store has none either.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/desktops/hp-z1-workstation-review-50008380/

Last edited:

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012

Making some thing smaller is not cheaper!
He is saying shipping will be cheaper.
But u have new screen tecnology which is more expensive.
U have the fusion drive innovation ., which us more expensive.
U have faster processors which is more expensive
And u have much more powerful graphics card .. Which is more expensive.

U are getting a much better computing device for about the same..
Plus it looks damn sleek!

Optical drive issue.. Spend 50 bucks and get an extrnal one if i is that important.. Big deal.

----------

Apple keeps jumping the gun in their design. They wanted a really thin desktop but the components aren't there yet to make it happen without making some compromises. They did it with the colored iMacs. Way too soon for an all in one, the tech wasn't there yet. They did it when they removed the floppy disk drive pre-maturely also. Everybody had to get an external zip drive just to be able to move files around. They're currently doing it to optical drives. It's still a couple of years off before we can abandon optical drives, yet they've removed it from all of their new lineups.

Have u heard usb key chain flash drives?
Or external optical drives.
Or drop box?
Icloud.
Etc

obsoletepower

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
The Tim Cook Apple paradigm is looking pretty cloudy right now. Not to sound cliche but Steve Jobs was a visionary and a forward-thinker. From an early age he admired fine art and elegance and strived for perfection in all elements of design and engineering. He learned from his father that the same attention to detail must be maintained for items that are hidden or out of sight as for items that are always visible. In other words, take pride in your work and do not cut corners to save a buck. He wanted everybody around him to be as meticulous as he was.

I do not see this same attributes in Tim Cook. The passion for the products seems absent. He may be a great business-man but if he leads the company by the books of the investors he is making a huge mistake, one that is starting to rear its ugly head. Apple has not felt the same since Steve passed away and I don't mean that in an obvious way. Everything from keynotes to product releases to hardware specs has felt like they are turning into a shareholder-pleaser instead of a people-pleaser.

I could be wrong but the business performance is painting a pretty clear picture.

Cameoblue

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
If they ship it too soon they might forget important parts ...like a CD/DVD writer/reader :rolleyes:

I mean seriously, who wants an all in one desktop that doesn't have the "All" part ? ? ?

Its thinner, yes, but who gives a crap ? You're not slipping it in your pocket , what't the point ?

ALL IN ONE ?

The point is it is 9.5 pounds lighter which costs the company less on shipping/importing raw materials AND less to ship the final product. See my previous post. It is all about making a profit, no company cares what you think as long as the profit is still there.

----------

By keeping the old design, iMac could have better space, airflow and cooling. Less chance to overheat.

Fine, this is 2012, ditch the SuperDrive. Yet they can always keep the Fusion Drive, GTX680MX, less reflective screen and all the new features without reducing the thickness and save itself unnecessary problems. What can't be achieved by keeping the old [thick] design? It's a desktop anyway.

Have you seen 4th gen iPad teardown? Have you seen what advantage did the Lightning port brought over the old dock?

• Save some space? Nope
  • Help them to fit some additional/improved components? Nope
  • Bring additional port functionality? Nope
  • Help reduce thickness? Nope
  • Faster transfer rate? Nope

• Bring new compatibility problems? Yep
  • Need new expensive (yet limited) accessories? Yep

Some things just don't need to be thinner. New iMac included. So yes, "Why did they make it thinner"

Why did they make it thinner? See my previous post for your answer.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
There sure are a lot of posts in these forums that would lead you to believe that Apple has it all wrong. That they are complete idiots running the company making bad choices and producing badly designed products. I wish I could produce bad products and make billions of dollars and stir up so much buzz in the forums and news sources. Oh well...... :rolleyes: Or, maybe, just maybe they know what they are doing. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.