Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neel.j.patel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Cheney/Spokane,WA
We all know the aluminum MacBook Pro and Air models are the hottest selling notebooks ever ! However after 5 years of the same aluminum design one has to wonder ... When will they change it? I know it's Apple no one knows but when do you guys think they will do a complete re haul? :). Maybe offer slate black notebooks. !!! :)

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
They've changed the design several times in the last 5 years. You just want them to change the color? That's been discussed and some people are for it and some are against it. I think a black Macbook would look like any other boring black notebook. People used to speculate that "the next Macbook" would be Liquid Metal, which is titanium colored, but I don't think that is ever going to happen.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
The MacBook Air was released in early 2008 and was redesigned in late 2010, when the 11-inch version was also released. Perhaps a redesigned model will come out in 2013, but we can't be sure of it. I don't know what it will bring, although I can imagine it will be even lighter and carry an IPS retina display.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I'm expecting it to be a few years before a design change. 2014 probably, a 4 year cycle.

I think it may well come in 2013. The 13-inch MacBook Pro with retina display is already too similar to the 13-inch MacBook Air in terms of size and weight. In addition, there are ultrabooks released by other companies which are already matching or exceeding the MacBook Air in several aspects. Next year, with the release of Haswell, may be a good time for an update. 2014 may be too late, IMHO.

neel.j.patel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Cheney/Spokane,WA
Same her i think in about 2914 we should see major changes, or like he said others are coming up but too many apple lovers out there that will buy at will :)

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
Same her i think in about 2914 we should see major changes, or like he said others are coming up but too many apple lovers out there that will buy at will :)

Holy ****, 901 years from now is a bit long to wait, but technology will be much more advanced by then! :D

Little typo there...

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

If Apple is going to release the next update in 2914 only, I'm not waiting! I'll buy something else!

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I think that we don't see a redesign until they go to retina displays, and that probably won't be until at least 2014.

Honestly I'm not sure what they would change, except possibly to go with the single-layer-glass display housing like the Retina MBP models.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I think that we don't see a redesign until they go to retina displays, and that probably won't be until at least 2014.

Honestly I'm not sure what they would change, except possibly to go with the single-layer-glass display housing like the Retina MBP models.

Me too, but I think that will happen in 2013. Somewhere in Q3 2013.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
With the Mac Book Pro line getting thinner Apple is going to need to do something to differentiate the Air and releasing a model with liquid metal or polycarbonate would certainly differentiate it. Will they do that or will they come out with something else entirely revolutionary? Only Apple knows the answer and they play their cards close to their vest.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I think Arm cortex processors and 20 hour battery life would be a great way to differentiate the Air. It would also force people who need a powerful processor to get the more expensive Pro, which seems like exactly the sort of thing Apple would do. It won't be next year but maybe a few years from now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.