Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcr918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
I need a app that will allow me to transfer video from my iphone to my Ipad without Itunes. I need something that won't compress my video and destroy it too any suggestions ?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I need a app that will allow me to transfer video from my iphone to my Ipad without Itunes. I need something that won't compress my video and destroy it too any suggestions ?

1, Videos or Photos videos?

2, Direct connection (w/o any desktop usage) or are you able to access a desktop for transfer?

If your answer is "Yes" for Bullet 2, iExplorer will work just fine, independent of the answer of the first. If not, the solution will depend on the answer to "1" and I'll explain things further.

jcr918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
1, Videos or Photos videos?

2, Direct connection (w/o any desktop usage) or are you able to access a desktop for transfer?

If your answer is "Yes" for Bullet 2, iExplorer will work just fine, independent of the answer of the first. If not, the solution will depend on the answer to "1" and I'll explain things further.

I want something I can do on the road without the use of a computer and I am mainly interested in video files only.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I want something I can do on the road without the use of a computer and I am mainly interested in video files only.

Yup, but are they videos in your Videos app or the Photos app? The former have been downloaded from iTunes Store on synched from a desktop iTunes as movies; the latter are shot by you by the built-in camera of your iPad.

If it's the former, then, you're pretty much shot unless you jailbreak: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1488921/ If the latter, the situation is better.

jcr918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Yup, but are they videos in your Videos app or the Photos app? The former have been downloaded from iTunes Store on synched from a desktop iTunes as movies; the latter are shot by you by the built-in camera of your iPad.

If it's the former, then, you're pretty much shot unless you jailbreak: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1488921/ If the latter, the situation is better.

I want to be able to transfer what ever I recorder from my Iphone 5 to my ipad so I can edit with imovie while on the go. I storm chase and use my iphone along side with some gopros and other misc cameras. I got the SD card reader for the ipad so the other cameras are covered the Iphone is the only thing not covered.

KatanaAzul

macrumors member
May 7, 2010
Try PhotoSync. It works by transferring photos or videos you have taken from iphone to ipad or vice versa, over wifi or bluetooth. I downloaded it a few days ago and it works great.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photosync-wirelessly-transfers/id415850124?mt=8

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I've been avoiding photo stream myself, but it sounds like this would fit the bill for you, assuming you have wifi/cell service. You'd have to check that it doesn't compress/resize. Dropbox is another (similar) option.

But, whatever you use, it sounds like you have to get the movies into your camera roll (as opposed to video app) for iMovie to be able to access it.

Regards,
Tom

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I've been avoiding photo stream myself, but it sounds like this would fit the bill for you, assuming you have wifi/cell service.

Wifi / cell isn't needed with p2p connections. Just make sure you select p2p when starting to sync. Of course it won't be the fastest as it uses Bluetooth only for transfer.

This (the low speed) is why jailbreaking and installing AirBlue is recommended. It:

- integrates into Photos, making it possible to send the currently viewed photo immediately, via the "More" menu

- uses Wi-Fi instead of BT even without Internet connection, resulting in vastly higher transfer speeds.

You'd have to check that it doesn't compress/resize.

By default, it doesn't.

But, whatever you use, it sounds like you have to get the movies into your camera roll (as opposed to video app) for iMovie to be able to access it.

All these transfer apps access the camera roll (and other Photos folders) only. Only jailbroken tools can transfer videos in the Videos database. That is, he won't have problems with the received videos.

sarahbaby

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012

Hi, You can try to use Wireless Transfer App, it is helpful.

I use it to transfer Photos and videos

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi, You can try to use Wireless Transfer App, it is helpful.

I use it to transfer Photos and videos

I wish it had a trial version to test. Priced the same as the surely-working PhotoSync, I don't think it should be preferred to it, particularly with those bad reviews...

jcr918

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
I saw that app it has some pretty bad reviews. Any other ideas ?

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
Photosync does the job fairly well. It will occasionally drop the connection mid transfer and you will have to start over, other than that it works. If I now I'm about to transfer a lot of data I will reboot both devices before transferring.

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Any reason to pay the extra $1 over PhotoSync? Just curious -- I already bought PhotoSync based on recommendations here.

Regards,
Tom

Don't think so, it's the app I found first after trying a lot of inferior apps - must admit I've never given Photosync a look simply because Photo Transfer App has always done the job for me that's all.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Any reason to pay the extra $1 over PhotoSync? Just curious -- I already bought PhotoSync based on recommendations here.

Regards,
Tom

Of the two, I'd definitely go for PhotoSync:

- PhotoSync is easier to use (no need to explicitly enabling receive mode etc.)

- Photo Transfer needs to enable BT by hand; no such need in PhotoSync, which automatically falls back to BT when there's no (common for both iDevices) Wi-Fi

- Photo Transfer has no video transfer over Bluetooth, only Wi-Fi (PhotoSync supports video transfer over BT too), which means you won't be able to quickly send over your videos on the beach / in a bus etc. to an iOS bud.

- Photo Transfer has no interval image selection (only individual and Select All), unlike PhotoSync, which has double-tapping for the beginning / ending of mass-selection

- Photo Transfer has absolutely no image sorting etc. capabilities (PhotoSync can sort by date)

- Photo Transfer is more expensive.

The speed and the reliability of the two apps are appr. the same over both Wi-Fi and, when there's no Wi-Fi, BT. I've tested this between a lot of devices, both iOS 6 and 5.1.1 (iPhone 5, iPad 2, 3 etc.)

If you're jailbroken, you might also want to consider the absolutely excellent AirBlue Sharing, which has about the same transfer speed as these two apps (it automatically uses Wi-Fi in exactly the same circumstances as these two AppStore apps) but, in addition, is fully OBEX-compliant and has absolutely no problem with sending files to / receiving from traditional dumb / Symbian / Bada phones at all. Its interface, however, isn't as polished as that of these two apps; for example, it completely lacks an image picker. This also means there are no multiselect etc. capabilities unless you fire up its file handler view, navigate to Media/DCIM, enable editing mode and select all the images you'd like to send in one step. It's, of course, not as easy to use as the image picker module of the two AppStore apps.

----------

Yup, go for PhotoSync, don't purchase new, unknown apps without decent and reliable reviews (for example, those of mine).

I've checked out Wireless Transfer App more closely. Not recommended: it doesn't even have Bluetooth support. The only truly Wi-Fi-less, p2p it has depends on Personal Hotspot. If neither of the devices have it, you're shot.

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Thanks Menneisyys2 for the details on the differences - I may just pick up Photosync after reading that! :)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Its interface, however, isn't as polished as that of these two apps; for example, it completely lacks an image picker. This also means there are no multiselect etc. capabilities unless you fire up its file handler view, navigate to Media/DCIM, enable editing mode and select all the images you'd like to send in one step. It's, of course, not as easy to use as the image picker module of the two AppStore apps.

I was wrong about this: you can certainly multiselect images using the stock Photos app's Edit mode. Then, just tap "Share" in the top left corner and, then, Bluetooth.

BTW,

iPhoto is probably the only true image editor with direct p2p connection support. The other top-end editors (I've tested the ones listed at http://www.lifehack.org/articles/te...ps-for-iphone-4-bonus-photo-editing-apps.html and http://www.businessinsider.com/best-camera-apps-for-iphone-2012-6?op=1 ) don't have any kind of direct p2p trancfer, only upload to Facebook and the like or e-mailing.

I've purchased and tested Wireless Transfer App too. Not recommended: it has neither Bluetooth (as I've already explained above) and has no easy range selection. In these two regards, the same-priced PhotoSync is clearly better.

Last edited:

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Purchased Photosync - very very good, I like that there's an option to reverse the order of the photos when doing iOS to iOS so that the receiving device gets them in the order that they were taken.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
...I like that there's an option to reverse the order of the photos when doing iOS to iOS so that the receiving device gets them in the order that they were taken.

Good to know -- thanks!

Regards,
Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.