Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I'll keep this short & sweet ...

Two bits of dust (in different areas) under this brand new iPad 4's screen.

Would you "suffer it" or keep returning until you find a "good one"?

I bought two more this week with the intention of getting a perfect one ... one had dead pixels, and the other had dust under the screen. They were both returned.

So ... would you keep one with two bits of dust under the screen (and I know they are there, if you know what I mean - my eyes are excellent) or return it with a zero tolerance attitude?

I know it's ultimately down to me, but what would you do?

Cheers ...

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Unacceptable for a $500+ device that is essentially A GIANT SCREEN.

Good point, buddy ... thanks for the feedback.

And this is a 64gig model so cost me £559! On top of that, I just lost money on my iPad 3 which I sold to upgrade so I really do not want to accept anything less than perfect.

I actually have a similar issue (a small speck of something - not dust, I don't think) with my brand new iPhone 5 and I agree ... it really is unacceptable.

This appears to be a huge problem with Apple products (believe me, I have come across this issue countless times).

Thanks again ... I think I will return the iPad tomorrow and get another one.

I'm just sick of the "return game" that I end up getting into with Apple ...

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
You're not being picky. You're expecting a premium quality product for a premium price. Be like buying a brand new car from the factory, with a scratch in the windshield. It wouldn't affect the car at all. But you'd have to stare at it EVERY DAY. This is no different. Anyway, they're just going to pop the screen off, clean it, and sell it as refurb and lose nothing on it.

Let em know you're upset, maybe get something free out of it as well. :p

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
You're not being picky. You're expecting a premium quality product for a premium price. Be like buying a brand new car from the factory, with a scratch in the windshield. It wouldn't affect the car at all. But you'd have to stare at it EVERY DAY. This is no different. Anyway, they're just going to pop the screen off, clean it, and sell it as refurb and lose nothing on it.

Let em know you're upset, maybe get something free out of it as well. :p

;)

Nice one ...

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
my replacement Ipad 4 came with dust under the screen. I find it amazing how poor the quality control is, its a shame really.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I've returned a couple for that. I also returned one that had crud and fingerprints under the glass.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
my replacement Ipad 4 came with dust under the screen. I find it amazing how poor the quality control is, its a shame really.

I couldn't agree more.

It is the single thing that I dislike about Apple's products.

I am taking this iPad back tomorrow and getting getting another one but I'll bet my nuts to a barn dance that there will either be dust under the screen, and/or dead pixels.

But screw it, I'll keep going 'til I get one with the level of QC that should be expected for a premium device.

It's a pain, but I know I'll not be completely satisfied with a screen which is less than perfect.

Otherwise, I might as well go and buy one of the cheaper options out there ...

----------

I've returned a couple for that. I also returned one that had crud and fingerprints under the glass.

The problem is that far too many people accept these imperfections.

If EVERYONE was to return these devices with dust under the screens etc then Apple would soon address the issue ...

----------

What was wrong with the first one?

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
my actual complaint is that after the fiascoes of the 2 & 3 for exactly the same things they would have gotten it right for this generation.

... the problem is that most people just suffer this issue, so Apple can get away with it.

If everyone was to return these units with dust etc under the screen then Apple would have to do something about it.

It's simply not acceptable for a premium device ...

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Perhaps China is just a very dusty country.

Mine has a small hair or fibre near the lower center. It is only noticeable with the screen off, and since the screen has no dead pixels I choose to keep it. It does bug me, especially on a 64gb model, but not enough to make a fuss.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Maybe everything will be better when they begin using the Foxbots to make all the iPads. Should go a long way towards eliminating hair under the screen. Returned my iPad 4 tonight because of a similar issue.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
the first one i got had the slow down issue (posted about it on other posts so wont go into that much detail) but my 3 and two 4's have all had the same issue so i realised id send the dusty one back and keep my nice screened 4 instead and wait for ios update to fix the issue of slowdown (i hope!)

soldierblue

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Mine's this way too. It's absolutely tiny, but I know EXACTLY where it is and I can't not notice it.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Ok ... so I took the iPad back today and bought another one.

This one has a gap at the top of the frame (where the white plastic meets the aluminium) and the Home Button has a bit of a rattle to it.

I am SICK of this!

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Don't waste your time replacing your iPads for a while

We ordered a few of them, received them yesterday and every single one of them has a piece of dust almost in the exact same position of the screen

Went to the store today to exchange my ipad for a white one. Exact same thing with the dust

Don't even bother

Sharky from NC

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Hi All. Received my 4th Gen iPad yesterday and today I was going to have a Zagg put on the screen. I had noticed some dust had fallen on it but figured the guy would clean the screen before applying the protector. He was cleaning the screen and he couldn't get these couple of dust particles off. He showed it to me and it's then we noticed that it was not on top of the glass but underneath somehow. I held off getting the Zagg, got back to work and called Apple. None of the local Apple stores even have the model I got so they are shipping me a replacement.
Very disappointed but Apple is making it right, at least for now. When I told the guy to not put on the Zagg he thought I was being too picky and that when the iPad is on you can't see the specks. For over $800 I have the right to be picky.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Well I returned two Mini's mainly because I didn't like the screen but both had debris under the screen. Picked up a 4th gen iPad on launch day and to my surprise its perfect. I went through 7 3rd gens before I got a decent one. And even that had a bit of yellowing. This new baby is perfect. And great screen colour too.

Never had a dust problem on any Samsung product.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I had the same issue with an iPad Mini -- it just gave me an excuse to return the (potentially) scratch-prone black one for a white replacement, which has no dust, luckily.

I would have noticed that darned piece of dust every time I turned the screen on.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I stopped caring after a while and just expect the apple product to not be perfect. this after exchanging the ipad 3 3 times, the iphone 4 and iphone 3gs 4 times...

Then somehow, I got a perfect screen on the 4s and ipad 4 lol.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Well I returned two Mini's mainly because I didn't like the screen but both had debris under the screen. Picked up a 4th gen iPad on launch day and to my surprise its perfect. I went through 7 3rd gens before I got a decent one. And even that had a bit of yellowing. This new baby is perfect. And great screen colour too.

Never had a dust problem on any Samsung product.

My 3rd gen was pre-ordered and arrived on day one and I was COMPLETELY SHOCKED after checking it to find that it was perfect!

But I sold it last week, to upgrade.

Now I'm experiencing all this crap!

I think we should get a petition together & email it to Schiller and Cook ... I really think we should do this as I am at the point of giving up on Apple!

I wasted a whole day returning this thing ... only to get a replacement with further issues.

I mean, come on ... we are talking about premium products, here!!

I have literally ZERO faith in Apple's QC now and whenever I buy one of their products I am thinking to myself "ok, so what is going to be wrong with this one?".

So then, what do you lot say about us getting some sort of petition together? We SERIOUSLY need to bring this to Apple's attention ...

Oh and by the way, my 50" 3D Samsung plasma is perfect, gives me hours/days/weeks/months of enjoyment with my 360 and PS3 and has been rock solid ... GO FIGURE!

soldierblue

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Apple precision engineers their devices. They need to engineer them for mass production.

I'm gonna try another one. Just. One. Then that's it.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Apple precision engineers their devices. They need to engineer them for mass production.

I'm gonna try another one. Just. One. Then that's it.

... good luck, buddy. I really hope you manage to get a good one (although I'll bet my nuts to a barn dance that there will be something wrong with it!).

This thing is going back, but I'm not going to bother myself with it tomorrow. If I had any hope of getting a good one, I would hop, skip and jump to the Apple Store but nah, I'm not going to put myself out anymore.

I'll probably do it on Wednesday ... seeing as my iPhone 5 is being collected via courier on Monday, and a replacement will probably be with me on Tuesday (because this one has a bit of dust or something under the screen!).

What are you going to do if the replacement has any flaws?

soldierblue

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
... good luck, buddy. I really hope you manage to get a good one (although I'll bet my nuts to a barn dance that there will be something wrong with it!).

This thing is going back, but I'm not going to bother myself with it tomorrow. If I had any hope of getting a good one, I would hop, skip and jump to the Apple Store but nah, I'm not going to put myself out anymore.

I'll probably do it on Wednesday ... seeing as my iPhone 5 is being collected via courier on Monday, and a replacement will probably be with me on Tuesday (because this one has a bit of dust or something under the screen!).

What are you going to do if the replacement has any flaws?

Man, I don't know.

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
I've replace two now for this exact issue. I would recommend just waiting until manufacturing has time to catch up to retail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.