Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jngothia

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Same issue

I have the same problem. iOS 6.0.1, iPhone 5. When the phone is plugged in to charge, the phone's screen sometimes becomes unresponsive. Not sure, but I think it seems most common when my alarm activates while I also have other notifications on the lock screen at the same time. As soon as I unplug the lightning connector from the phone, the screen becomes responsive again. Never saw this issue with my iPhone 3GS and iOS 5.X.X.

timlopez

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
I have the same issue. Only when plugged in. Once I unplug, the screen responds fine. Plug back in - hardly any responsiveness.

beantown06

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
Ill throw my hat in on this one as well. Whenever I have my phone IP5 charging, the screen is very unresponsive

KernWillia

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Never saw this issue with my iPhone 3GS and iOS 5.
bNE

timlopez

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw this issue. I wondered why when I plugged in at night that the screen would always becomes unresponsive. Never occurred to me that it was because I plugged in - just thought I needed a reboot. Hope this is software related, although the nature of the issue suggests it might be a hardware issue.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Add me to the list.

I got a replacement phone from the Apple Store Genius and I noticed my phone did this. I went back, he did a restore to rule out any kind of software issue and set my phone up as new. Still did it. He gave me another new phone. This one is doing it too.

I'm starting to think it might be my charger, but my original phone didn't do it (although it had other issues which is why I got it replaced in the first place).

I think it's some kind of bug with the new software update. It's really annoying. My phone was on the charger yesterday and it called my Mom's phone on it's own.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I called Apple support, and they're saying perhaps it's a "bad batch" of replacement phones that were shipped to Apple Stores in my area. They had me send my phone back and they're shipping me a new one.

mplayers2005

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
I had the same problem one time, come out to find it that the wall block was a fake from china. I bet the reason for all of y'all case is because that white block you plug into the wall is a fake replica

jngothia

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Sure enough, it's the wall block a/c adaptor

Thanks mplayers2005, changing out the charger fixed the problem. I had just kept using my off-brand wall wart I had gotten a long time ago with the new Apple lightning cable, which causes problems.

Btw, I had no problems when using my 3GS with this setup, but iPhone 5 + Apple lightning cable + off-brand A/C adaptor = unresponsive screen. Just used an Apple A/C block and everything worked fine on the iPhone 5.

rsvrfactory

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago area
I had the same problem one time, come out to find it that the wall block was a fake from china. I bet the reason for all of y'all case is because that white block you plug into the wall is a fake replica

Not for me. I don't use 3rd party chargers. I'm thinking it could be the iPad 3 charger I'm using instead of the one that came with my iPhone 5.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Same here.
It was an old plug I had got on ebay years ago.
It worked fine for many years with every iphone besides doing that weird glitch with the iphone 5.
Good to know its not the phone.

mtkoren

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2005
I have never used off branded charging blocks. All my charges are directly from Apple. I'm having the same problem.

TheAdrianMc

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
Well I was on the subway here in the Bay Area and plugged my apple cube with an apple lightning cable into a plug located in one of the cars.

Now they're not the best outlets because its easily as old as the train, which would be close to 45yrs old!! From what I can tell, it could have to do with voltage in certain outlets.

At home, I have an old 3rd party USB brick with my lightning cord that has never shown any change in the screens responsiveness.

Not sure how much that could help but might shed some light on the situation!

mplayers2005

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012

Lol.... Reading back on this I must of been drunk writing this, it was not a well put together sentence.

Any way, I heard a while back that apple has some software or chip of some kind in that block& the cable, it's there to Authenticate to the iPhone it's an Official charging unit. I'm guessing apple does not want 3rd party Equipment used on their product. So once again it might be the block or the cable that is causing the issues.

Justin R

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
I also have the same problem - when texting or trying to dial phone numbers random numbers at selected- then the call will send on its own. I hope Jailbreak community can use this glitch to exploit iOS 7

jffmrk

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
California
My iPhone 5 does this too - but only when charged into a combo surge protector that has USB charging jacks. When using another surge protector with usb jacks, I have no problem, and using the white charging blocks from Apple works fine as well.

jepoy

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
I just registered to confirm that I'm also having the same problems (iphone becoming unresponsive whenever charging).
We found that it is due to the white block adapter. Using my friend's apple adapter works.
What's disturbing is that the adapter came in with the newly bought (sealed) box. One would think that everything is authentically from apple >__<

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
This started happening to me on my iPhone 5s today.

Only using the official wall charger and cable that came with the iPhone, i had it plugged directly into an outlet at a new office building. The 2nd outlet has a surge protector plugged in that has a Mac Pro, 30" Cinema, Lamp, and phone plugged in.

While attempting to write a text, random things were being accessed. Even the notifications screen swiped down while I was typing on the keyboard at the bottom of the screen. Once when I touched a letter it looked like the screen went through a dozen random things instantly.

So I shutdown the phone and powered it back on. It seemed to go away.

Later I was checking our company site through the phone. I found tapping links were not working. If I pinch zoomed and held, the webpage would erratically zoom in and out while my fingers were still.

My 2nd solution was to unplug the charge cable (at 92-94% charge)

Phone starts behaving normally without the charger. After plugging it back in, so far so good, except an initial stutter. Then again, it's also now 100% charged.

I thought maybe it's the stock iOS 7, since I haven't updated, but reports of this go back to the iPhone 4. Back then, it was often blamed on third-party chargers, which this isn't. So now I'm wondering, can it also be the outlet and not just the charger. Again, this is a new building, as we first moved in 2.5 years ago after completing.

Last edited:

Rochbound

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Add me to list - same problem. I only use Apple equipment - no 3rd party, 5S phone. - VERY annoying.

Seirio

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2014
I've had this issue since the iPhone 4s. I would have to switch to my iPad charger usually to get it to respond while charging. But recently I noticed this problem would stop completely if I took the phone out of it's case. I have also tried making what little direct contact my Otterbox case would allow (skin to metal phone shell), this also fixed the problem. So maybe this is some mild grounding issue that affects capacitive screen functions on newer iPhones?
I would really like to hear from someone with more knowledge on the technology to know if this is possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.