Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

67bmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I purchased a new ip-5 two weeks ago from the apple store. I went on line after halloween around 10:05 pm in the mid-atlantic. Picked it up two days later on friday after work because I was busy on thursday.

They spent an hour explaining everything to me, getting it all set up, itunes transferred from old pc to new iphone, contacts, etc... (this is my first smart phone. switched from a 5 year old lg env2)

I really like the new small lightning connector! Its so nice to just shove it in without any worry about orientation. just find the hole, and stick it in! I wish the cord was a little longer though.

I am use to charging my phone 1/week. the new ip-5 seems to only be able to go about 2 days. maybe I could squeak out an extra day, but I doubt it.

I just traveled out to LA for a day, then up to San Francisco. there were 4 of us traveling together on business. we tried the maps app to get from SFO to the hotel. the other 3 all had corporate balckberrys and I was the only one with an iphone. it did not look good that our directions were opposite of the printed google maps on the first turn and it did not "look" like the right way to go but it worked out great! The following morning we sought out a starbucks found on yelp. it automatically switched to the maps app and turn by turn. again it "looked" like we were going to get on the freeway - but no! the roads were very confusing but we got there exactly like it said we would. everyone was totally impressed (jealous) of the turn-by-turn directions. google then predicted 30 mins to our meeting, maps app predicted 45 and it was right!

oh, and if you get a text message, you get an alert. tap on it and it automatically switches over! just hit the top of the screen and it takes you right back to turn-by-turn. and if you want to save battery, just hit the top button. when its time to do something the ip-5 automatically comes back on and gives you the instruction and then goes off again!!!

I do not know what all the uproar/complaints are but the map app works great for me, I love it! I had one in LA and then a second one in SF. on the plane I was playing with the app and it did not come anywhere close to the range that "almost reaches to LA from SF" that was reported somewhere in a review. mine barely made it south of moffit field near google...

the speakers seem to be completely adequate so far.

ipod also worked well on the airplane. the only thing i miss is not having an external skip forward button without having to switch the phone on. my only other product is an ipod mini. when exercising, reading, studying, etc I usually use random and skip frequently.

so far yelp is my only app. I am probably going to get an HP calculator app. I saw one on a ip-4 in a class I take and it looked really awesome.

texting is cool the way it organizes conversations etc. I am finally getting use to typing after two weeks! its definitely harder than it looks. some of the girls can type so fast in unbelievable!

I have heard complaints about he phone call quality of iphones, but mine is great. absolutely no complaints at all. and the proximity sensor works great. pull the phone from your ear and it lights up with all the options you need.

I am starting to use notes so that when I need something when I go shopping I do not forget that one thing.

I like the do not disturb feature. I have had problems with getting texts in the middle of the night before...

I have also been impressed with the camera too. got a nice pic of the A380 at SFO yesterday. figured out how to zoom, etc. people just need to realize that the light source needs to be behind you! all the "rules" of photography for the past 100 years still apply to iphones! I find that I really like the + button to snap the picture. they pictures rotate automatically so no need to worry.

I am happy with the screen size. would NOT want a bigger one and would probably be just as happy with a ip-4/4s as well. I have not used it in direct sunlight, but have been very happy with the brightness under all conditions so far.

although it seems completely obvious now, i had to look up on youtube how to re-wind the headphones in the travel case. I like it for now and will continue to use it for storage and travel. this was the first time i have used them. they still fall out. cant wait to try them exercising and see how that goes. expectations are not high though. i do like the remote volume. i find myself bumping it up or down 1-2 notches depending on the song. just wish they also had a remote skip forward too!

I know I am just preaching to the choir here, but I REALLY like having an iphone-5 now that I have one!!!

most people are completely obsessed with their phones now days. when we were waiting for the rental car shuttle (20 minutes!) everyone was obsessing over their blackberrys! I was the only one that did not really know what to do, so I just left it in my pocket until latter when we actually needed it!

good luck with yours. Just dont become obsessed with it!!!

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
tl;dr

But from what I gathered you really LOVE your iPhone, congrats and welcome to the club!

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
most people are completely obsessed with their phones now days. when we were waiting for the rental car shuttle (20 minutes!) everyone was obsessing over their blackberrys! I was the only one that did not really know what to do, so I just left it in my pocket until latter when we actually needed it!

That will change. Pretty soon you will be playing with your iPhone at every down time and every opportunity you get....waiting in line, waiting at the traffic light etc..it is inevitable and you can't help it.

good luck with yours. Just dont become obsessed with it!!!
Yeah, good luck with that! :)

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
A smartphone battery will never be as good as a dumbphone one. So that's one thing you will have to get used to.

puremeerkat

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
Glad you're enjoying your iPhone. By the way, if you press the center button twice on your headphones remote it will skip to the next song. Pressing it three times will repeat the song.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Just once, use your iPhone till it shuts off from the low battery. Ignore the 20% and 10% warnings and use it till it switches off then charge it back up to 100% in one go.

You will NOT damage the battery doing this occasionally as all good Li batteries have a protection circuit in them that prevents you totally draining them.

This will calibrate the battery level indicator and you will get a more accurate impression of the battery level once you have done this. That last 1% will take from ten to thirty minutes to drain away the first time but be correct thereafter.

If you are needing to prolong your battery life for a trip, there are some good threads on the forum on how to do this. It seems that screen brightness is one of the biggies here along with push notifications and 4G.

If you are going to be away from a mains point for a while, there are also portable external battery packs that will recharge your phone a number of times depending on which capacity you buy.

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
Yea wait a few days morevand u ll take the iphone every where just to slide to unlock and lock it again.
Its like addiction hehe enjoy it matte:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.