Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Wheres the proof that they are talking with cable operators other than "WE WANT IT TO BE TRUE"?

Not a shred of evidence to back these claims up.

Actually, I do trust WSJ/AllThingsD. It is common knowledge that they typically receive their information directly from the source (Apple).

SatManager

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Las Vegas
I am 100% in love with my Apple TV and I really don't see why they need to make an actual television. Super charge the Apple TV with the option to use it with cable and give it an amazing interface, and this whole profitability issue goes away. Let all the people already in the game make the TV hardware. Apple TV would turn ANY TV into an iTV. Let Samsung and Sony and Vizio fight over the profit scraps in the TV biz.

So if you can't tell, I think the smart move is to do a grand re-launching of Apple TV. I will buy one for every TV I own, and I think others would too.

I agree that this would be the best way for Apple to improve the interface and guide that is used by the satellite and cable providers. I would love a device that improves the schedule guide, DVR capability with the use of a external drive for expansion, multiple tuners with 4 record and 1 for live viewing, and integrates the iTunes store, netflix, hulu, and cable TV schedule into the search and recommendation views. Give the capability to skip commercials (even though everyone will fight this, but at least give the capability to skip 30 seconds at a time like Directv units).

You can use the iPhone or iPad as the remote control, view recorded shows and movies on them, or use a simple remote control (more than the current Apple remote).

Do this and I will be lining up to buy it.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Just saying: Freeview is probably the biggest, and the easiest market (no negotiations needed). A plain Freeview viewing box is pointless because every modern TV does it, while a box is £25. Freeview recording would be where the money is, decent recorders are >£200.

Humax has enormous storage with a decent user interface. And here's a big problem with all user interfaces: You just can't check them out in a store. There may be something with a better UI, but it's impossible to find out. So my next box will be Humax again as long as they don't mess up the UI, because I'm not willing to take a risk. Now with Apple, I might trust them to make something that is better. And I definitely trust them to make something that I can check out in the nearest Apple Store. So for that alone, they could sell a lot.

Now if you combine Freeview recorder, decent CPU, a good UI, displaying iPhone, iPad, Mac, and some good advertising, you've got something to sell.

Whilst it may make for a good freeview box, are people seriously going to pay a big premium for it? The Humax boxes are great - they have iPlayer, Sky player, etc. What (other than iTunes and AirPlay) could Apple offer on top of that?

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Fix the USB to allow ext HD and Apple will see 5-fold increase in adoption. People have already bought many movies and stored them on HD to be denied. Turn on a Mac or a PC to stream those movies is a waste of energy.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Apple needs to work with cable and satellite providers who concatenate programming into subscription services to develop APIs so AppleTV can simply control and manage the signals and content available to subscribers. The ease of use and added features this will bring will be the magic bullet without necessarily bypassing those carriers.

Rocketman

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Actually, I do trust WSJ/AllThingsD. It is common knowledge that they typically receive their information directly from the source (Apple).

Lol, WSJ is consistently wrong about Apple rumors. They just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
[url=http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Following up on yesterday's report suggesting that a launch of a new Apple television product may be "imminent" based on cable operators assessing infrastructure needs to support such a device, AllThingsD notes that Apple is indeed talking with cable operators but that characterizing any launch as "imminent" would be premature.Apple continues to refer to its existing Apple TV set-top box business as a "hobby", even as sales doubled year-over-year to 5 million units in fiscal 2012. More ambitious plans for either a new set-top box supporting live television or an Internet-connected television set are reportedly being slowed by difficult content negotiations.

Article Link: Apple Indeed Talking with Cable Operators About New TV Product, But Launch Not Imminent

Launch not imminent without enough leaks to build one.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Launch (of a new hardware product) not imminent without enough leaks to build one.

We've had at least one or two analysts claiming Apple has been building actual television sets for months now, so... :p

(I do agree with you that it's unlikely anything is in production)

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Lol, WSJ is consistently wrong about Apple rumors. They just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

Walt Mossberg was a personal friend of Steve Jobs. Walt gets his information directly from Apple. When he posts a story, it is true.

As for the rest of WSJ, that may not be the case, but I haven't seen any inaccurate stories. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention to them.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
iCinema HFR3D - Movies Released at your Home

Eventually, High framerate 3D, Movies Released @ Home
Apple + LG's Technology
Apple's Industry Connections

Coming next year...
iPhone 6 3D
iPad 3D LTE
iPad mini Retina LTE
iMac 3D
Apple TV 3D

Coming the year after that...
iPhone 7 HFR3D
iPad HFR3D LTE
iPad mini 3D LTE
iMac HFR3D LTE
Apple TV HFR3D

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
See Apple already owns the website...

http://icinema.com/

Owned by Transmedia (which is obviously an Apple company)
http://transmediaco.com/

"A win-win approach to premium rights exploitation across all existing digital platforms "

Vision

Transmedia believes that to be successful in the new world of digital content one has to adopt a win-win approach to working with other relevant industry players.

Transmedia workflow integrates many of the proven technologies and services, and we are always open to collaboration with any group that adds value in the digital content distribution chain.

Our team has a close relationship to many content production and distribution groups, and our goal is to first and foremost maximize the revenues of content producers and rights owners.

If you would like to become a Transmedia partner, please send a request to us via our secure website (registration required).

...who also owns iConcerts !!! with iPlaylists, etc.
http://www3.iconcerts.com/

iConcerts, the first 360° concert platform, brings you the most innovative

music experience imaginable via HDTV, VOD, smartphone and the web

So Apple's iCinema TV is going to be 360degree content, movies, concerts, sports, etc. in HFR3D!!!!

SEE ITS THE SMOKING GUN!!!! Transmedia IS Apple, and APPLE IS TRANSMEDIA!!!
http://www.transmedia.co.uk/apple-certification.php

http://revuptransmedia.com/

http://www.firstpost.com/topic/orga...september-2012-video-CrsP08vTWoE-47560-1.html
TRANSMEDIA - SEPTEMBER 2012 "19th century culture was defined by the novel, 20th century culture by cinema, and the culture of the 21st century will be defined by the interface." Lev Manovich, Visual arts professor and media theorist, in a synoptic tweet of his essay "Database as a Symbolic Form" Transmedia is a form and practice that consists in playing with forms and content, media and stories, narratives and technology. Because transmedia is fundamentally about using all new media to create i ...

http://davidkirkpatrick.net/
David Kirkpatrick : Travels In Transmedia…
Happiness: If You’re Happy and You Know It, Tell your iPhone.
David Kirkpatrick is an award winning movie maker, author, and speaker. Most notably, he is the former President of Paramount Pictures and the former Production President of both Walt Disney Pictures and Touchstone Pictures.Today, his passion is bringing Biblical literacy to a world deficient in the knowledge of God. His interests include media and technology.

Last edited:

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
right on... maps in my area have bodies of water listed wrong or*not listed.

I hope you're not relying on your phone for maritime navigation.

----------

Fix the USB to allow ext HD and Apple will see 5-fold increase in adoption. People have already bought many movies and stored them on HD to be denied. Turn on a Mac or a PC to stream those movies is a waste of energy.

Sorry, but I'm sure that's very low on the to do list. We're talking about Apple, if they can remove a port and call it a feature they will. They especially don't want to accommodate "ugly" (/s) setups with cables.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
In my living room, I have a Roku and an AppleTV. I was considering what to get for my second TV in the bedroom.

No competition, AppleTV. Roku has more channels, but they are generally very weak. A couple of them have trouble sending enough bandwidth to keep from stopping.

Love my ATV. Only like my Roku.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I hope it's just a killer ATV box. Don't care about a full TV set.
Besides the fact will be darn expensive, most folks have HDTV sets already and the update rate for people is pretty spread out. I for one have my Pioneer Elite 60" for 4 years and it's beautiful and I have not desire to change it anytime soon.
I much rather pay $100 to $400 on a killer ATV box than thousand of dollars on a display.
Keep it simple Apple.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Can someone who knows better briefly explain the legal/technical side of AirPlay and iTunes to me?

Why are there AirPlay speakers made by 3rd parties, and no 1st party speakers? Meanwhile Apple makes Apple TV and there are no 3rd party TV makers that feature AirPlay or embed the Apple TV. Why are there no 3rd party AirPlay or iTunes-ready TVs?

I could see it being a very easy thing for apple to sell or license the guts of an Apple TV so that the Sharps and Panasonics of the world can start making Apple-ready TVs?

It would actually be much easier than getting content providers to play ball.

I just hope that Apple is not wasting effort trying to "perfect" a TV display. That's extremely small potatoes, and most people are committed to their own TVs at this point.

I'd rather see a small and steady revolution of getting compatibility built into other manufacturer's devices.

I mentioned it in another post but I think the big opportunity is with Hotel and other public use TVs. Mainly for cross-sell of the ecosystem and media sales. I could imagine Apple and other ecosystems duking it out for sales share in that market in a few years.

SatManager

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Las Vegas
If I was King for a day, I would want all of the cable providers to move to a pure TCP/IP based distribution system where customers purchase the bandwidth needed for multiple channel streams and internet usage.

This would allow anyone to build a box that is interoperable with all of the cable operators. You can even build the box so that the it acts as the cable modem and the Wi-Fi router for your home network for those that want it all as one box. For those that want to have there own home network, you can disable the cable modem and Wi-Fi as needed or they can build a flavor of the box without those features, just like you can buy an iPad with or without cell access.

Just my two cents.

JoJack82

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
a launch will never be imminent without a prior announcement

yes, and generally that announcement comes a few weeks or less from launch and the announcement for the launch event are usually a few weeks before that. Its possible that it could be launching 6 weeks from now and we haven't heard anything yet. I would still consider that an imminent launch if that were true.

However, I don't actually think its launching in 6 weeks.

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
All I want is for Apple, Google, Microsoft, any company with a solid OS to replace that crap interface they feed us using Comcast, FiOS, COX, and Time Warner. Ridiculous load times, sluggish performance, and it's all poorly implemented and scattered. I would love nothing more than to see that fixed.

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
TV software

The hardware costs for TVs are quickly dropping, and sizes are maxing out. This is a perfect opportunity to bring value through software. This is where Apple can excel.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Can someone who knows better briefly explain the legal/technical side of AirPlay and iTunes to me?

Why are there AirPlay speakers made by 3rd parties, and no 1st party speakers? Meanwhile Apple makes Apple TV and there are no 3rd party TV makers that feature AirPlay or embed the Apple TV. Why are there no 3rd party AirPlay or iTunes-ready TVs?

I'd guess that there's no 1st party speakers probably because they tried that a few times (ipod hifi, g4 cube speakers) and thought that they arn't able to really bring anything significantly special to that market?

I'd also guess that embedding an AppleTV would mean they'd have to customize the software for it to the TV, something that just seems a little too much work for too little gain at this time. If you straight up embedded the apple tv into a tv, why not just have it separate? What's the gain?

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
This is not happening any time soon

There is no way in hell that the TV industry will allow Apple to do to their industry what Apple did to the recording industry. They are extremely wary of Apple's desire to control all content in a closed ecosystem.

Also, I'm not convinced that the TV industry 'needs' Apple. But I do think Apple 'needs' them.

We'll see.
:cool:

Optheduim

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
NYC
im so curious as to what it is. i know a lot of you want a TV. I really hope for a universal cable box. something that i can buy and hook up to my verizon fios wire ad and then later take it with me and use with directv... something with a touchscreen remote (or just use my iPhone)

AND WHATEVER THE HELL THIS DEVICE MAY BE PLEASE APPLE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE design a better Guide.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
All I want is for Apple, Google, Microsoft, any company with a solid OS to replace that crap interface they feed us using Comcast, FiOS, COX, and Time Warner. Ridiculous load times, sluggish performance, and it's all poorly implemented and scattered. I would love nothing more than to see that fixed.

For a couple of years we here in Seattle had a Microsoft guide on our Comcast TV DVR boxes. It wasn't perfect - heck, it wasn't even great. But compared to the iGuide/SARA system the rest of Comcast's customers suffered with...

When Microsoft stopped development and Comcast replaced it with iGuide, I lasted three days before I bought a Tivo HD. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.