Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I will post as soon as I can, damn it!

okay-face.jpg

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
This is my first "Vanilla" Android phone. From the box (IMHO) it is a beautiful device although those with OCD about fingerprints will have a seizure within seconds of handling it, it is a fingerprint magnet, I know, so are most phones, but this just seems to show them more, it feels like it is a quality device, although I found nothing wrong with my S3.

UI seems very slick with no lag that I can tell, screen seems bright and very retina like, I cant see any pixels. Set up, as is now normal with most of these devices is very easy, even for someone as technically challenged as me, bluetooth connected easily first time with my car, wifi in the two different places that I tried, also connected straight away.

I have an S3 as well, I will sell the one I least enjoy in about a month's time.

First impressions are that I like it.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
MOAR IMPRESSIONS
Well I am home today so here goes. My initial impressions are that not one, but three, UPS trucks have passed my house so far this morning. I was impressed by a vague, yet somewhat noticeable, "feeling" that my N4 was on that second truck. Once again I wish I had bought those spike strips when I had the chance.

Michael

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Well I am home today so here goes. My initial impressions are that not one, but three, UPS trucks have passed my house so far this morning. I was impressed by a vague, yet somewhat noticeable, "feeling" that my N4 was on that second truck. Once again I wish I had bought those spike strips when I had the chance.

Michael

LOL!! :D More impressions of this experience are welcome. hahah. I have been through this before so I completely understand. Good luck.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
This is my first "Vanilla" Android phone. From the box (IMHO) it is a beautiful device although those with OCD about fingerprints will have a seizure within seconds of handling it, it is a fingerprint magnet, I know, so are most phones, but this just seems to show them more, it feels like it is a quality device, although I found nothing wrong with my S3.

UI seems very slick with no lag that I can tell, screen seems bright and very retina like, I cant see any pixels. Set up, as is now normal with most of these devices is very easy, even for someone as technically challenged as me, bluetooth connected easily first time with my car, wifi in the two different places that I tried, also connected straight away.

I have an S3 as well, I will sell the one I least enjoy in about a month's time.

First impressions are that I like it.
Excellent! What speeds are you getting on o2? Is it taking advantage of HSPA+?

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Excellent! What speeds are you getting on o2? Is it taking advantage of HSPA+?

My house is in the wilds of North Yorkshire, so I dream of an O2 signal in my house (said in my best Monty Python Yorkshireman accent) Once I get nearer to some masts/signal I will report back. :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Just opened mine, and it's charging now.

First impression: very nice phone and packaging, but not as nice feel-wise and packaging-wise as the iPhone. That said, damned nice for the price, and I can't wait to turn it on.

No, wait, I'll have to wait. Heading over to get a T-mobile SIM to see if I like their coverage. I figure I'll try it for a month and see.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

First impression: very nice phone and packaging, but not as nice feel-wise and packaging-wise as the iPhone. That said, damned nice for the price, and I can't wait to turn it on.

No, wait, I'll have to wait. Heading over to get a T-mobile SIM to see if I like their coverage. I figure I'll try it for a month and see.

Lucky you! :)

Mike

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

The phone itself doesn't feel as nice as an iphone? I love how my 4s feels, hated the design initially but that industrial, heavy glass feel grew on me and now I get depressed when I hold a plastic phone. But the iphone 5 feels just as cheap to me as a Samsung. I'm hoping the N4 captures the feel of the 4S, that double glass industrial feel.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
The phone itself doesn't feel as nice as an iphone? I love how my 4s feels, hated the design initially but that industrial, heavy glass feel grew on me and now I get depressed when I hold a plastic phone. But the iphone 5 feels just as cheap to me as a Samsung. I'm hoping the N4 captures the feel of the 4S, that double glass industrial feel.

IMO it when it comes to feel and design, you shouldn't take others word for it. Try it yourself.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Sorry, just got back from T-mobile (month-to-month for a month so I can try it out and migrate from the 4S) getting my SIM.

It's barely less than the 4S [edit: I've changed my mind... better overall, design-wise], and for a few very nit-picky reasons. The buttons are fine and comparable. The front is great. The sides are fine, though I could do without the 3G/3GS chrome rim (or, I guess since it's Android, a Chrome rim). What gets me - a little tiny bit - is the back. The camera is more easily felt. The speaker slot just feels like it should be elsewhere (at least by the bottom, like how the ear speaker is at the very top of the front).

Well, then again - and we're talking about now, after more than what was literally about 10 seconds of holding it - the Nexus 4 is a lot more comfortable to hold than the 4/4S. I like the sides better - a lot better. I like the width better. Hand-feel is definitely better, for me at least.

The screen is awesome. Gorgeous. I don't care what reviews say or don't say - I absolutely love it. Fingerprint magnet? Sure, but really no more than the 4S.

It's fast and responsive. Loading it up now. Made a call, no issues at all with sound over a wired headset.

I am very happy.

But the unboxing? Very Apple-like, but the travel adapter was a pain to de-plastic. That's it. That's my only issue - it took too much effort to un-shrinkwrap the adapter. :)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
What are you doing to move personal data from iOS to the Nexus jsw (were you already a Google services user on the iPhone?).

One of the things that has put me off of iCloud is the lack of ease using other platforms like WP7 and Android with Apple services. I've been fortunate enough to be able to use all of my data on iOS, Android, WebOS and Windows Phone using Google.

Any initial thoughts on T-Mobile with it? How is coverage and data speeds for you?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
What are you doing to move personal data from iOS to the Nexus jsw (were you already a Google services user on the iPhone?).

One of the things that has put me off of iCloud is the lack of ease using other platforms like WP7 and Android with Apple services. I've been fortunate enough to be able to use all of my data on iOS, Android, WebOS and Windows Phone using Google.

Any initial thoughts on T-Mobile with it? How is coverage and data speeds for you?
I've been moving to Google services over time since I got the original N7. I'm not 100% sure how I'll transition everything - until today, it wasn't a real concern. :) However, I think a lot of my stuff (contacts, email, schedules, etc) is over; by using the phone, I figure out what isn't.

So far, so good with T-mobile, but I can only attest to their service over a very small area - from the local mall to where I work. I need to download SpeedTest....

----------

Thank heavens for that.......I thought it was me just being a wus.
Agreed!

I was like "um, since when can't I unwrap plastic wrapping??"

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
T-mobile results:

Pings run between 17ms and 27ms.

Downloads have been 23Mbps to 28mbps.

Uploads have been in the same range.

D'oh!!! Forgot office wifi was on. Much slower now, pings near 100ms, uploads ~3, downloads ~14.

That said, I'm between 3 and 4 bars here, and fairly deep in the building, so it might be better elsewhere.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Speedtest3.png
    Speedtest3.png
    377 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
T-mobile results:

Pings run between 23ms and 27ms.

Downloads have been 23Mbps to 28mbps.

Uploads have been in the same range.

That is amazing.... :eek: Consider me jealous!

Not bad for no LTE.

Edit: hang on, WiFi is on in that screenshot. :p

You haven't accidentally tested your home network have you? :D

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

for my contacts I used the iphone app "contact sync" it lets you move your iphone contacts to your google account

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
That is amazing.... :eek: Consider me jealous!

Not bad for no LTE.

Edit: hang on, WiFi is on in that screenshot. :p

You haven't accidentally tested your home network have you? :D

Indeed I have!! :eek::eek:

it was off, then I forgot I'd turned it back on.

Much slower results soon... [edit]edited the original post. :)

bollywood69

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
I've had my Nexus 4 for less than a day, not impressed at all with the battery. It's buttery smooth and does everything my iPhone 5 didn't, but the battery leaves much to be desired.

Like most others, iOS has become too stale and boring, even though I don't ask too much or do too much on my smartphone. Usually its just texts, some calls, maybe an hour of music, email, youtube, and some light web browsing. The 5 would last at least a few days before requiring a charge. But as I said, I don't do anything really draining to the battery and I do recognize my phone is on standby a lot.

However, since I got my Nexus 4 last night, from full charge in the morning I notice that the battery is already at 52% after roughly the same usage as I did on my 5.

It's not really a deal breaker I suppose, because the value is there. But I am disappointed in the hardware.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Sorry, just got back from T-mobile (month-to-month for a month so I can try it out and migrate from the 4S) getting my SIM.

It's barely less than the 4S [edit: I've changed my mind... better overall, design-wise], and for a few very nit-picky reasons. The buttons are fine and comparable. The front is great. The sides are fine, though I could do without the 3G/3GS chrome rim (or, I guess since it's Android, a Chrome rim). What gets me - a little tiny bit - is the back. The camera is more easily felt. The speaker slot just feels like it should be elsewhere (at least by the bottom, like how the ear speaker is at the very top of the front).

Well, then again - and we're talking about now, after more than what was literally about 10 seconds of holding it - the Nexus 4 is a lot more comfortable to hold than the 4/4S. I like the sides better - a lot better. I like the width better. Hand-feel is definitely better, for me at least.

The screen is awesome. Gorgeous. I don't care what reviews say or don't say - I absolutely love it. Fingerprint magnet? Sure, but really no more than the 4S.

It's fast and responsive. Loading it up now. Made a call, no issues at all with sound over a wired headset.

I am very happy.

But the unboxing? Very Apple-like, but the travel adapter was a pain to de-plastic. That's it. That's my only issue - it took too much effort to un-shrinkwrap the adapter. :)

Good to hear. My only issue is with the power button placement, but it's true of most androids I believe. I always end up hitting one of the volume keys when turning it on/off, as opposed to the top placement of the iphone's power button.

Just realized your location, I'm outside of Springfield. Tempted to buy you a beer and ogle over your phone.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
It's strange that with a 2100 mAH battery, the phone isn't performing very well (from what I hear) Could somebody try running the app 'CPU Spy' to see how long the CPU is in deep sleep? Also, how do you find the standby performance to be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.