Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
To me the speed and retina was a greater motivator than size.

I just don't really notice much difference in speed. Most games are set to run at a particular speed. Videos are too. Flipping pages in a book? or app launch is all I really see. But how important is that?

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
I just don't really notice much difference in speed. Most games are set to run at a particular speed. Videos are too. Flipping pages in a book? or app launch is all I really see. But how important is that?

Believe it or not, a lot of people use their iPads for reading books, including thousand page textbooks. And surfing the net is MUCH faster on the iPad 4. It's almost desktop speed.

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
This forum is only for people that are UNHAPPY with their apple products and need a soapbox to complain.

Semp1

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
NYC
Have the ipad3 and ipad mini. Both are great. I actually use the mini a lot now. Much easier to hold and lounge around. I always felt the ipad was way too heavy. Always had to kind of rest it on my arm while holding it. Yes the mini's screen does take a little getting used to after using a retina for so long but it does not bother me really. All the other advantages the mini has are worth the screen sacrifice for now.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I wish everyone made a post every time they were satisfied with something they just bought. :rolleyes:

I actually appreciate it, because all you ever hear are problems and whining, so sometimes you don't know if a product is actually good or not.

mireille

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
This forum is only for people that are UNHAPPY with their apple products and need a soapbox to complain.

No, this forum is about people who are happy with the mini and NOT in support of other devices (even another ipad). :lol:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
And this is coming from someone who just retired their iPad 1. The display is PERFECT. There is NO blacklight bleed, no dead pixels, and the colors all look perfect, just like my iPhone 5. Performance is rockin', and while the OS as a whole is smooth as butter, everything from websites rendering to photo editing apps are about x10 faster then the iPad 3 (used my mother's iPad before deciding to upgrade).

Then..I saw the Mini. I laughed. The A5 is alot slower, the screen is laughable, and I read about the 512MB of RAM, which doesn't future proof the Mini at all.

If you are looking for power, and a big beautiful display, the iPad 4 is the way to go. Happy with my purchase!

There is no such thing as future proof...

Glad you felt the need to justify your purchase by trash talking the ENTRY LEVEL product. :rolleyes:

j.applewood

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
So you're all speaking from personal preference... but...

I have never owned an iPad and don't have a laptop (I do own an iMac and a iPhone 4S). I would be using the iPad essentially INSTEAD of a laptop. I am SO TORN on whether to get the iPad Mini or 4th Gen iPad. I've gone into the Apple store and have held both and my thoughts are:

iPad Mini -
LOVE the form factor and the thinner bevel, I like that it's super light, and the screen resolution didn't bother me too much while in the store

iPad fourth gen -
Feels heavy (never thought I'd say that about an iPad, ever) compared to the Mini but it's still SO awesome, the retina display kicks @$$

I'm worried I will feel outdated pretty quickly if I go with the Mini (it basically already is outdated, for that matter). Also, I'm not sure if the lower resolution on the Mini will bother me long term. I've read reviews on both sides of the fence (ie, SO GLAD I BOUGHT THE MINI, and also, NEVER WOULD BUY A MINI).

What. To. Do. :confused:

radioking

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I have never owned an iPad and don't have a laptop (I do own an iMac and a iPhone 4S). I would be using the iPad essentially INSTEAD of a laptop. I am SO TORN on whether to get the iPad Mini or 4th Gen iPad. I've gone into the Apple store and have held both and my thoughts are:

iPad Mini -
LOVE the form factor and the thinner bevel, I like that it's super light, and the screen resolution didn't bother me too much while in the store

iPad fourth gen -
Feels heavy (never thought I'd say that about an iPad, ever) compared to the Mini but it's still SO awesome, the retina display kicks @$$

I'm worried I will feel outdated pretty quickly if I go with the Mini (it basically already is outdated, for that matter). Also, I'm not sure if the lower resolution on the Mini will bother me long term. I've read reviews on both sides of the fence (ie, SO GLAD I BOUGHT THE MINI, and also, NEVER WOULD BUY A MINI).

I'd recommend the 4 if it is going to be your primary device and the Mini if it is a companion device. I just returned a Mini for the 4 because it is going to replace my laptop for the most part. It's much better for browsing the web because of the screen (size and resolution) and it also loads webpages noticeably faster.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
serious question, what kind of future proof are you looking for? I would say about 90% of the people who bought a mini will buy the new version next year. It is future proof enough to last a year, and that is all I personally care about.

If you upgrade yearly, the mini actually makes perfect sense b.c you could buy 2 of them for almost the price of an ipad 4.

I own both right now, but the more I use the mini the more I like it. At first I could not get past the screen, but using a difference browser definitely helps.

That is the thing, I don't upgrade every year. I just came from the very first iPad. I tend to use the device until it doesn't perform or do what I want it to do. For a device that is almost 3 years old, and has made it this long, I call that purchase 'future proof'.

I knew it was time for an upgrade, though. The A6X will hold me into 3 releases of iOS then it will be time to shop around again. Rinse, wash, repeat.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That is the thing, I don't upgrade every year. I just came from the very first iPad. I tend to use the device until it doesn't perform or do what I want it to do. For a device that is almost 3 years old, and has made it this long, I call that purchase 'future proof'.

I knew it was time for an upgrade, though. The A6X will hold me into 3 releases of iOS then it will be time to shop around again. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Agreed. That is why the iPad 4 and mini appeal to different people. At $329, I consider it pretty disposable.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
really? I hope iPad 5 will be THINEST I can wait until March/April 2013. :apple:

I seriously doubt the next iPad will come out in march/april. They only released it in october so that they could move the release cycle to that month permanently imo.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
well at least i have my slower mini everywhere, oh and where's your ipad 4? oh it's being left at home because it's too big and cumbersome to bring it everywhere. LOL

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
well at least i have my slower mini everywhere, oh and where's your ipad 4? oh it's being left at home because it's too big and cumbersome to bring it everywhere. LOL
How old are you, 5? I take my iPad everywhere. I love the size, hence why I didn't get the Mini.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
The iPad 3 does not feel slow, has retina display, does everything I ask of it.

Agree completely. I've seen them both side by side. The iPad 4 is awesome, but the "10 time faster" stuff is pretty ridiculous. I contemplated upgrading from the 3....but it's just not worth it, especially since I'm getting a mini tomorrow!

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I am still using an ipad 2 3g, which is still good enough for me. I can still enjoy a retina display on my iPod touch 5th gen, but I am thinking about ipad 4 for a better battery, better display, better camera, better processor, better ram, better 4g, and new connector (so I don't have to switch cables to charge my ipad instead of iPod)

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003

iPad Mini -

iPad fourth gen -

My advice is to go for the iPad 4. You are looking for a device you can use instead of a laptop and the iPad 4 seems to be great for that. I'm using one right now with a logitech slim keyboard and I have no regrets. The keyboard might be a bit cramped, but the convenience vs. my laptop makes it well worth it.

The iPad Mini is just too small, in my opinion, to hold up as a laptop replacement. Also the quality of the screen is just not the same. Keep in mind the iPad 4 is also a faster, more future proof device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.