Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage22.png
OS X Daily points us to the launch video for the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh featuring a much younger and less-polished Jony Ive, complete with hair and British accent.
For those who don't know, the 20th Anniversary Mac was a limited edition Mac priced at a whopping $7499. It was one of the first all-in-one computers to have an LCD display, and at the time was about as cool as a computer could be. Looking back, it's easy to see how the design and thought of the 20th Anniversary Mac influenced the design of future Macs, especially iMacs.
Jony Ive was recently promoted and put in charge of all Human Interface teams at Apple, in addition to his existing role as head of Industrial Design.

Article Link: Jony Ive's Design Video for the Twentieth Anniversary Mac

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
The TAM was way too ahead of its time (which is mirrored in the price tag).

MrVinney96

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
Holland :)
Wait… Did I see a BOSE logo on that subwoofer????

I'd like for Apple and BOSE to work together again and make some incredible laptop and desktop speakers. And I know they won't be the first (look to HP and Beats, but really, they are Beats, c'mon), but they will be one of the best.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Friend still has his 20th Anniversary. $10,000 and a guy in a tux delivered it in a limo and set it up for you. Pretty crazy.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA

I'd like for Apple and BOSE to work together again and make some incredible laptop and desktop speakers. And I know they won't be the first (look to HP and Beats, but really, they are Beats, c'mon), but they will be one of the best.

BOSE is all name.... their products are so-so.

There is a reason why they never publish their specs on their speakers... because they aren't that great.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
It almost looks as if it was actually made in the USA. Good times!

beebler

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2009
Let's all remember that there was no computer with that level of design at the time.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
There's one of these for sale at Micro Anvika on Tottenham Court Road (London) in some kind of insolvency sale.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
What amazes me most is how little has changed about Ive and his design philosophy. Almost everything he said in that video could apply to his approach to the new iMac or iPhone as well. The man is certainly consistent.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

Although Bose makes decent speakers once in awhile, they are perhaps the most overrated consumer electronics company in the world. You can get much better speakers for less money. There's this running joke that audiophiles use to describe Bose: "No Highs? No Lows? Must be Bose!"

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
What strikes me is in fact, how similar this video seems to current Mac ads, and how Ive hasn't changed at all.

As a result, seeing this makes me feel even more that the Mac product launch videos have become very stale and cliche.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Let's all remember that there was no computer with that level of design at the time.

It reminds me of those thin vertical CD players that some people hung on their bathroom shower heads a long time ago. I wonder if that was his inspiration.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Friend still has his 20th Anniversary. $10,000 and a guy in a tux delivered it in a limo and set it up for you. Pretty crazy.

Price is relative to the time. One of the first computers I got to work on cost literally $12 million dollars. No kidding.

I spent many nights for hours in front of that double tube console. It still has features not present in small PC's and Macs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDC_6600
You can see the console with some of the CPU in the background, disks and tape units and printers would be to the operator's back.

At the time $10K was a lot for a personal desktop machine but "cheap" for a "real computer".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.