Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I think you'd be crazy to go with the 3 if you intend to keep it a long time. The 3 was a bit under powered at release. Don't make the mistake of buying an apple device that is underpowered if you are in it for the long run.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
If you have no other devices that use the Lightning connector, I'd say save the $100 and go with the 3. This is coming from a guy who just upgraded from the 3 to a 4. I did it mostly because I got $60 off plus $30 in rewards at a Bestbuy open box deal (but very curiously the thing was brand new). I figure I should get $450 for my mint iPad 3 with accessories so this upgrade will cost me ~$100.

It kind of makes sense for me since now I can completely get rid of the 30-pin cable, and now I have an extra Lightning cable and a 12W power adapter to charge my Mini and iPhone 5, both of which I was going to buy anyway which would have cost me $40. Performance wise I do notice that the browser is a bit more peppy, and I have an iPhoto journal with 400+ photos that shows up faster.

The combination of $90 in savings, consolidating to the Lightning cable, and the performance increase made it all worth it for me. This is my justification to myself ;)

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
That 100 bucks goes further with the 4.

Benchmarks aren't everything, but looking at those, the iPad 3 could be called the iPad 2 w/ Retina display.

No because that would imply that it's not any heavier...:( lol I have a 3 LTE and its pretty heavy unfortunately. Mini LTE here I come!

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Wifi performance won't be too much better since my router is 2Ghz. I think in Web browsing speed both would be very similar.

It's true that the A5X may be pushing is limit with the HD screen. The A6X would be more smoother on the long run, but it's basically 100$ more just for a better processor.

I don't care too much for the HD facetime camera or lightning connector. And Wifi performance depends on my router and Internet speed.

So it's 100$ just for the A6X.

I think next year the A6X will become obsolete also if Apple updates it's processor to A15 architecture.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Personally I like buying a new product when I upgrade, not a discounted last gen. If you don't care about that then get the 3.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I was gonna buy the 4 today but I saw it was 100$ more expensive than the 3, which basically has the most important thing to me: the HD screen.

Only $100 diff? Definitely go for the 4, unless the 3 runs on iOS 5.1.1 and you want to jailbreak.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I was able to return my ipad 3 when the ipad 4 came out. I got a ipad 3 refurb instead. A few days ago I decided to to try the ipad 4 out. I love it. It's faster and wifi is faster. I'm also getting another 1-2 hours more battery life than my ipad 3. Also the ipad 4 will be supported longer and have a higher resale value. I could have saved $170 by keeping the refurb or saving $50 by keeping the ipad 3.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I was able to return my ipad 3 when the ipad 4 came out. I got a ipad 3 refurb instead. A few days ago I decided to to try the ipad 4 out. I love it. It's faster and wifi is faster. I'm also getting another 1-2 hours more battery life than my ipad 3. Also the ipad 4 will be supported longer and have a higher resale value. I could have saved $170 by keeping the refurb or saving $50 by keeping the ipad 3.

Yeah battery life on the iPad 4 is fantastic. I'm still on my first charge, 8:32 in use and it's still at 48%! A lot of Amazon Prime video streaming and iPhoto and web browsing.

I said earlier to go with the 3 to save $100, but now think the OP should go for the 4.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
That 100 bucks goes further with the 4.

Benchmarks aren't everything, but looking at those, the iPad 3 could be called the iPad 2 w/ Retina display.

This statement is very true. While I loved my iPad 3, it only had one improvement over the 2 worth mentioning, the screen. I'm a huge graphics buff though, and I went from iPad 1 to 3, so it was an awesome upgrade.

I recommend OP goes straight to 4.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Yeah battery life on the iPad 4 is fantastic. I'm still on my first charge, 8:32 in use and it's still at 48%! A lot of Amazon Prime video streaming and iPhoto and web browsing.

I said earlier to go with the 3 to save $100, but now think the OP should go for the 4.

I just got 17 hours on a full charge. I've haven't even broken it in yet. I'm sure I'm squeeze even more out of it. For me it was only $50 difference between brand new ipad 3 and 4. Also loving the faster wifi. My router supports the dual band channel bonding. I'm getting up to 30 Megs faster on speed tests. YouTube streams faster, some pages load almost instantly. I didn't think I would like the screen as much since its made by LG. I actually prefer this screen over the Samsung made screen on my ipad 3.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Look at it this way.

You buy the iPad3 and save the $100. 6 months down the line you could be kicking yourself for not spending the extra $100.

Or, you pay the extra now and get the iPad 4. 6 months down the line will you be kicking yourself for spending the extra? I doubt it.

If money it not an issue I cannot see why anyone would ever choose older tech over the latest. Unless of course the new one has been cheapened down or has some niggles that the previous one didn't.

I chose the iPad 4 over a mini and It's a nice feeling knowing that I won't have any problems with anything in the App Store. That feeling to me is worth more than £130 extra it cost me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.