Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexponential

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I have wanted an iPad ever since it was originally released, but never had the spare cash to spend so much money on something that I didn't necessarily need. Recently I purchased the iPhone 5 for myself, and it looks like I will be able to get the new iPad as a Christmas gift if I want one. Can anyone give me some true benefits to having an iPad since I already have an iPhone, aside from the obvious of it being a very large screen? I have a Nook that I would still continue to use for reading because it is much smaller and lighter than an iPad, but I do like the ability to do something like watch Netflix in bed on a large iPad screen. Basically, I'm trying to convince myself that it's worth it; it is a lot of money after all.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I ended up selling my iPad because it just wasn't getting used very much. Had all three generations of the iPad and was a diehard proponent. But then it became clear that there was so much overlap between my iPhone and iPad. Yes, the iPad's bigger screen is great for things like watching a movie. And yes there are some great iPad-specific apps out there. But none that I really use on a daily basis. So between my iPhone 5 and MacBook, I feel like I pretty much have everything covered. I've also got a Kindle for ebooks and it works better than the Kindle all on the iPad for long form reading.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Wierd. For me, one cannot replace the other. One's a smartphone, the other's a full size tablet. I use my GNexus mainly for voice, Skype, and Tango, and occasionally will check my email and use it for the web if I really need to while at work. Email and web on the smartphone, while doable but is not a pleasant experience.

My iPad, on the other hand, stays home most of the time, and is used to consume media. I stream movies, browse the web, and occasionally play a light game on there.

For the times when I need to do real work and typing is a must I grab my Air or iMac instead.

Each device serves a distinct purpose for me.

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Try taking a MacBook or ip5 to the bathroom when u do your thing and u will know why. I have ip5 and its nice but long term reading like magazine is much much better on my new iPad mini.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Screen size and apps.

Watching Youtube in bed.

Looking at and editing photo's in iPhoto is 10x better than using the iphone app.

Reeder (RSS) is a much better experience on the iPad.

Safari doesn't even compare, the iPhone is great if your out and about and need to look something up, but at home I'd always pick the iPad over the iPhone.

Just anything you do on your phone is a better experience on the iPad.

In my opinion, of course.

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
The iPhone 5 screen is too small. Once you use an ipad .. Especially one with LTE ... your iPhone will be jealous of the iPad, because you will never use it again.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
For me, the reason I am considering both is iPad-exclusive apps. An iPhone can do pretty much everything the iPad can do, but the iPad has a few apps I would rely on that you can only get on an iPad.

Also, it's more computer-like. And the bigger screen, etc. is better for web browsing and doing other things while not using your phone battery.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
For me, the reason I am considering both is iPad-exclusive apps. An iPhone can do pretty much everything the iPad can do, but the iPad has a few apps I would rely on that you can only get on an iPad.

Also, it's more computer-like. And the bigger screen, etc. is better for web browsing and doing other things while not using your phone battery.

I think my problem with it is that it's just not computer-like enough. I might as well just use my Macbook Air. Takes about the same footprint and can do so much more.

There are also still many apps and even certain websites where the mobile/tablet version just does not do the job very well or at all. Until the iPad can more or less replace a laptop in terms of functionality, it seems sort of redundant to me.

I will say that the one place where the iPad really shines is idle content consumption in bed or on the couch. But for me that's a pretty limited use case. And I can just use the lady friend's for that.

alexponential

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Thanks for the input guys, I think I am going to go for the iPad. The iPhone is great, but the experience seems much better on the iPad when at home. My Macbook Pro, while it works great still, is going to be 4 years old next month, so I'd rather not unnecessarily be moving it all around the house when I can just lounge on the couch or in bed with the iPad instead; save the Macbook for work-related stuff, heavy typing, and programs like FCP. Plus, I'm going to be moving to New York soon, and tons of places in the city have wi-fi that I'd be able to use with the iPad (no LTE here, can't afford that right now!).

For size, I was thinking 32GB. If I store any music on it, it will be a very very minimal amount because I can just use Home Sharing and my phone is also my iPod & has Spotify. I'm also not a big re-watcher of movies I've seen a bunch of times, especially since I have Netflix and there's so many new things to be watching, so I wouldn't be storing digital copies on it either. Basically I would only be using the storage space for apps/games, and the occasional photos or videos I might edit using iPhoto or iMovie.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
the ipad mini LTE covers everything i need for an iOS device.

at the old times? my ipad 1,2 and 3 get left at home because it's a bit chore to bring it everywhere. but now with the mini LTE, that thing is small and light and big enough screen to use. so im going to sell my iPhone 5 and get the mini LTE and a dumb phone instead, or cheap android to use as a phone and sms only with mobile internet turned off.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Well, I'm on my Mini now and my iPhone is right beside me. I prefer using the Internet on the Mini and texting (iMessage) on it as well. Luckily, most of the people I text have iPhones so I barely have to pick up my phone to respond. I still need my iPhone for calls so my iPad could never replace it.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I have wanted an iPad ever since it was originally released, but never had the spare cash to spend so much money on something that I didn't necessarily need. Recently I purchased the iPhone 5 for myself, and it looks like I will be able to get the new iPad as a Christmas gift if I want one. Can anyone give me some true benefits to having an iPad since I already have an iPhone, aside from the obvious of it being a very large screen? I have a Nook that I would still continue to use for reading because it is much smaller and lighter than an iPad, but I do like the ability to do something like watch Netflix in bed on a large iPad screen. Basically, I'm trying to convince myself that it's worth it; it is a lot of money after all.

Based on your post, it sounds to me like you don't want/need an iPad. You've certainly had the opportunity to determine if the iPad was right for you, and it just sounds like you already have two devices you enjoy and use more frequently. I would advise you to stick with what you have already and save your money.

alexponential

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Based on your post, it sounds to me like you don't want/need an iPad. You've certainly had the opportunity to determine if the iPad was right for you, and it just sounds like you already have two devices you enjoy and use more frequently. I would advise you to stick with what you have already and save your money.

Nobody needs an iPad unless they are using it as a replacement for a laptop entirely/using it as part of a business.

328xi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Nobody needs an iPad unless they are using it as a replacement for a laptop entirely/using it as part of a business.

+1 I originally used my iPad one for work and now I use my mini. I take it to every meeting and use the daily notes app for meeting notes. Between this and my laptop I have gone totally paperless.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003

I bought an iPad 4 yesterday (as I seem to like to tell people). Before that I rarely used my main laptop but instead relied on my iPhone. I told myself that the screen on the iPhone served my needs, and for the most part it did. However, I found myself procrastinating to do certain things like respond to an email, or post in a thread. Simply put, typing on and iPhone was just too inconvenient, especially for somebody as wordy as me.

I wasn't sure if an iPad would be a good compromise since I've read that typing on one isn't exactly easy. However, when I thought about purchasing it, I saw this awesome slip logitech keyboard which uses bluetooth to connect with the iPad and also serves too cover the screen to make a uniform case for it. Now my iPad is basically like a mini laptop that appears to do everything I need.

Now when I pull out my iPhone to read something or to check something, it seems laughingly small. I almost need to get used to my iPhone again. There's no comparison. The iPad can beat the iPhone for most general computing tasks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.