Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I've been waiting for a new iMac for a year now, and now it's very close (maybe) but I'm starting to wonder if I can just get a mini (and upgrade every 2 years rather than 4).

The first issue I have is the H4000 graphics, but it seems for my work it won't be an issue. I don't use the filters in CS6 that require more gpu power. I THINK the H4000 will be just fine for what I spend my days doing. If it's not, maybe I'll sell next year.

The second issue is more important. I was planning on getting a 27" iMac + thunderbolt (or equivalent), plus hooking up my current samsung 1080P monitor to it for extra screen real estate (it might be overkill, but I love having space). The third monitor isn't all that important, but having two 27" is.

So, has anyone been using the new mini with 2 thunderbolt displays? Apple's site says it can handle it, but in the real world, does it run well? and on top of that, is outputting a 3rd hdmi monitor possible and actually usable?

I've searched here already and found discussions about the possibility of doing this in theory, but has anyone here tried it yet?

Also, I've actually already ordered ram for the 27" 2012 iMac. It looks like the same type, size, etc but crucial has two different part numbers (of course they also have different part numbers for ram for the 2012 i5 vs 2012 i7 imac). I ordered 32GB which I obviously wouldn't be able to use in the mini, but I could use half if it is in fact the same, and return or sell the other half.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
side note: I'd LOVE if apple made a mini that was twice as tall, giving it more room for double ram, hard drives and GPU... or 4 times as tall and it could be a pro level cube :)

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
Just noticed the 13 inch retina MBP has the Intel HD 4000 GPU as well and itself has a resolution of 2560x1600 + supports 2 thunderbolt displays...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.