Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Earth
So I was day 1 preorder, 6:48am for the iPad Mini LTE AT&T. Order status says mid-november. Then about 2 weeks ago, it gives me the date of Nov 21st.

Rumor reports say Apple lets them get it today (11/16) but when I called all of this week I couldn't do anything to rush my order. Fine.

Today I get a notification it ships. Yay! But wait... FedEx says it won't arrive on the 21st. It will now arrive on the 26th because it missed the cut off time. What!!! How does missing the cut off time delay it 5 days! I can understand 1 day, but 5??? Is FedEx not delivery on Black Friday???

Anyways, I call Apple. She can't do anything because it has been shipped. She can only re-route it to a local Apple store or FedEx facility. Well that doesn't help me any! Also mentions I should've called earlier in the week to have put a rush on it. What!?!?! I tried with 3 different customer service reps. UGH!

She offers me a free iPad mini case. I ask what colors (not really knowing what the mini's have, and she mentions black, so I take it). After seeing my order update, it says iPad Leather (black). Wait! It doesn't say iPad mini case! Check Apple.com/store - yup, doesn't come in black. So I got a $70 case that I can't use. Whatever, I'll sell it privately or try to get a gift card.

Now I wonder, do these Apple customer service reps know anything??? I get mixed information. I get the wrong iPad case. And I'm forced to wait an extra 5 days because FedEx/Apple didn't coordinate to meet their deadline as promised.

If you can't meet a delivery date, then put a range 21-25 or something. I'm not going to be around the following week (vacation) and won't have an iPad to use.

It's bad enough how they screwed up the pre-orders for the iPhone. Had to wait an additional 3-4 weeks because 3 days after my order was placed it was 'lost'. Apple had no record of it. Yet I faxed over the emails and order confirmation pages, proof that my credit card was authorized for that amount by Apple, etc. Least they could've done was let a local store hold one for me to pick up for the trouble.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Sorry, But sometimes pre-orders arent worth it.

some people are super lucky and get them a day earlier. But most of us at best get a signature notice stuck on our front doors on a friday with no way of getting the device till monday, while our friends walk into a bestbuy anytime to pick up theirs.

Pre-Ordering is rarely worth it. You wait longer and pay the same. Plus its often exciting to wait in line.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
So I was day 1 preorder, 6:48am for the iPad Mini LTE AT&T. Order status says mid-november. Then about 2 weeks ago, it gives me the date of Nov 21st.

Rumor reports say Apple lets them get it today (11/16) but when I called all of this week I couldn't do anything to rush my order. Fine.

Today I get a notification it ships. Yay! But wait... FedEx says it won't arrive on the 21st. It will now arrive on the 26th because it missed the cut off time. What!!! How does missing the cut off time delay it 5 days! I can understand 1 day, but 5??? Is FedEx not delivery on Black Friday???

Anyways, I call Apple. She can't do anything because it has been shipped. She can only re-route it to a local Apple store or FedEx facility. Well that doesn't help me any! Also mentions I should've called earlier in the week to have put a rush on it. What!?!?! I tried with 3 different customer service reps. UGH!

She offers me a free iPad mini case. I ask what colors (not really knowing what the mini's have, and she mentions black, so I take it). After seeing my order update, it says iPad Leather (black). Wait! It doesn't say iPad mini case! Check Apple.com/store - yup, doesn't come in black. So I got a $70 case that I can't use. Whatever, I'll sell it privately or try to get a gift card.

Now I wonder, do these Apple customer service reps know anything??? I get mixed information. I get the wrong iPad case. And I'm forced to wait an extra 5 days because FedEx/Apple didn't coordinate to meet their deadline as promised.

If you can't meet a delivery date, then put a range 21-25 or something. I'm not going to be around the following week (vacation) and won't have an iPad to use.

It's bad enough how they screwed up the pre-orders for the iPhone. Had to wait an additional 3-4 weeks because 3 days after my order was placed it was 'lost'. Apple had no record of it. Yet I faxed over the emails and order confirmation pages, proof that my credit card was authorized for that amount by Apple, etc. Least they could've done was let a local store hold one for me to pick up for the trouble.

I'm in exactly in the same boat, they not only missed their original date, but they then sent me the affirmation of "5 days or less we ship" on Nov 7, then they don't ship until the 16th, and then they first say delivers on the 21 and it turns out now it won't until the 26th. That's TERRIBLE customer service, a 10 day difference in delivery time. I'm sorry fanboys, but sometimes you do have to hold Apple to their commitments, and complain when they fail.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Earth
I'm in exactly in the same boat, they not only missed their original date, but they then sent me the affirmation of "5 days or less we ship" on Nov 7, then they don't ship until the 16th, and then they first say delivers on the 21 and it turns out now it won't until the 26th. That's TERRIBLE customer service, a 10 day difference in delivery time. I'm sorry fanboys, but sometimes you do have to hold Apple to their commitments, and complain when they fail.

Exactly. I'm totally fine with not getting it earlier like others did. But to tell me the EXACT delivery date and then fail to deliver that promise by 5 days is unacceptable.

Our company would lose customers, big paying customers in fact. And we'd have to refund the shipping charges as well.

Apple did offer a nice gesture of providing a free case, but to provide me with the wrong one is just silly of them. Makes me wonder about their customer service as a whole.

And as for the notice, that's fine. I pre-sign most orders under $100. Or I call my FedEx location to pickup after work. Still have it the same day, no biggie to drive 20 min to get my iPhone/iPad/Mac..

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Kinda over it with always having to fight with Apple. I just talked to my local store and everyone is seeing TONS of deliveries of all LTE models\varieties today, but they're being instructed not to sell it until tomorrow... absurd.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Earth
Kinda over it with always having to fight with Apple. I just talked to my local store and everyone is seeing TONS of deliveries of all LTE models\varieties today, but they're being instructed not to sell it until tomorrow... absurd.

It's one thing to be secretive. Another thing to hold products until a specific release day. But this launch seems to be all over and not planned at all.

Kind of sad actually.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
It's one thing to be secretive. Another thing to hold products until a specific release day. But this launch seems to be all over and not planned at all.

Kind of sad actually.

I think it's a shift in the way Apple operates, and it's not a good shift in my opinion. Disorganization is what I expect from Best Buy, or Verizon, or AT&T, NOT Apple.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Has Apple announced that the iPad minis are available for sale in the store? :confused:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Has Apple announced that the iPad minis are available for sale in the store? :confused:

Yes. Watch the keynote from a month ago. "Available to purchase 2 weeks after" ... oh but you're looking for a confrontation so you'll argue with anything.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yes. Watch the keynote from a month ago. "Available to purchase 2 weeks after" ... oh but you're looking for a confrontation so you'll argue with anything.
No, just curious why you think it's absurd that they receive their delivery of product the day before they begin to sell it.

I mean, when they do iPhone launches at 8AM, do you think the iPhones of all different models\varieties magically get delivered at 7AM?

No. They arrive in the days before. And guess what? They're not allowed to sell them.

Apple's done a piss poor job with this launch. That's my statement. No argument or confrontation.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
No, just curious why you think it's absurd that they receive their delivery of product the day before they begin to sell it.

I mean, when they do iPhone launches at 8AM, do you think the iPhones of all different models\varieties magically get delivered at 7AM?

No. They arrive in the days before. And guess what? They're not allowed to sell them.

Apple's done a piss poor job with this launch. That's my statement. No argument or confrontation.

But your "it's absurd that they're receiving product today and can't sell it" comment is over the top, IMO.

You're completely confused. Today isn't a "launch" ... today is no different than when a MacBook Air gets a spec bump, and when the stores get them, they go on for sale. This isn't a new product that everyone has to get and sell on the same day. If it were, they would have been selling on the 14th, and UPS\FedEx would have been holding shipments for today\tomorrow, which is absolutely NOT the case. This release is a spec\feature bump to the existing mini. Your comparison to a new phone is not applicable for the reasons outlined above.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
1) Pre-Ordering is rarely worth it.

2) You wait longer and pay the same.

3) Plus its often exciting to wait in line.

Conversely, my experience, three consecutive years in a row has been:

1) Pre-Ordering is absolutely worth it.

2) I receive my MBA, MBP, iPad, iPhone, or whatever new product, the day _before_ release day, or at 10:00am the morning they are released in the stores.

3) I have no time nor desire to stand in line like a kid when I had nothing better to do.

No one does Pre-Orders as well as Apple via FedEx. :)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You're completely confused. Today isn't a "launch" ... today is no different than when a MacBook Air gets a spec bump, and when the stores get them, they go on for sale.
Yeah, it rarely worked like that when I worked there. Even for a spec bumped product, Apple would usually require the visual team to pull an over-nighter to replace the demo products on the sales floor with the updated ones, as well as update all of the placards with the new specs (and if applicable, like with the LTE mini, display the price for the new product) and switch around the signs on the wall. So in essence, there is still a launch that takes place, before the new product is sold, even if it's not a public launch. I know they've ditched the printed placards and use iPads to display the product information now, but I'd be surprised if they update those in the middle of the day.

----------

2) I receive my MBA, MBP, iPad, iPhone, or whatever new product, the day _before_ release day, or at 10:00am the morning they are released in the stores.
Same experience here. I've been pre-ordering since that was an option with the iPhone and iPad, and it's always worked out.

My original estimate from Apple as to when my LTE mini would be delivered was next Friday. It arrived yesterday.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

3) I have no time nor desire to stand in line like a kid when I had nothing better to do.

No one does Pre-Orders as well as Apple via FedEx. :)

That's so funny your response was the same as mine. I agree, why the heck would I want to stand in line and wait like I'm getting the privilege of getting something? I don't wait in line to give a business my money. Pre-ordering is for the benefit of the company, as much as a consumer. It helps them forecast demand, plan where to distribute inventory, and they often times get the money in advance (though this practice isn't common at Apple). It allows them to skip the middle man, the distribution channel, and go right from the factory to the door. People always ask how Apple affords to ship it to your home... they save money doing it. Otherwise they have to ship it to the warehouse, then truck it to the store, then store it in valuable retail space. Much more expensive than shipping it from China to your door. Retail 101.

And yeah, in MOST cases preorders should get stuff before stores. This is a very unique situation in the sense that it's not really a "launch day" they're just pumping them out and whoever happens to get em first gets them. It's like when they bump specs on a laptop... they ship em out and sometimes stores get them the day after keynote, sometimes not, sometimes customers get them first... simple as that.

What miffs me on this one is how Apple went against the norm... they committed to a delivery date, then it slipped a couple days, then they sent me an affirmation that they're still on track via email, then it slipped twice after that. Makes no sense, and demonstrates loss of control over their manufacturing process. If I'm making tires, I know how many tires I can make in a day, so I can say if I have 1000 preorders, and can output 100 tires a day, I will be able to ship your tires in 10 days. If 5 days before I send you an email saying we're on track and will ship within 5 days, then wait 8 days to ship, then change the delivery commitment to 11 days after that, it's evident I don't have a handle on my business, and is where Apple seems to be with this product.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, preordering has been extremely effective for me across 3 iPads and two iPhones. The iPad 1 came the day before launch day, the rest came on launch day.

It's only this mini LTE that's kept me waiting, it's getting tedious, but if I have my hands on it by late November, Apple have at least delivered on what they said initially.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
My original estimate from Apple as to when my LTE mini would be delivered was next Friday. It arrived yesterday.

My original estimate from Apple as to when my LTE mini would be delivered was yesterday. It shows that it will now arrive next Friday.

----------

Yeah, it rarely worked like that when I worked there. Even for a spec bumped product, Apple would usually require the visual team to pull an over-nighter to replace the demo products on the sales floor with the updated ones, as well as update all of the placards with the new specs (and if applicable, like with the LTE mini, display the price for the new product) and switch around the signs on the wall. So in essence, there is still a launch that takes place, before the new product is sold, even if it's not a public launch. I know they've ditched the printed placards and use iPads to display the product information now, but I'd be surprised if they update those in the middle of the day.

Yeah, I can't tell you how many times after a keynote I've been in Apple stores buying MacBook Air or Pro when the model I'm buying isn't even on display yet. I get it, to maintain secrecy sometimes they have to find out when they open the delivery box. But to withhold sales in this situation is just silly.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003

I think there has been a huge increase in hiring for customer service reps in all sorts of capacities for companies like Apple/AT&T, and the quality just isn't there. This problem is also impacting the quality of help in the retail stores for these companies as well.

The more employees you need, especially when the pay isn't as high, can be challenging.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I'm annoyed by the unreliability of shipping estimates as well but this is the biggest case of first world problem if I've ever heard of one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.