Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
This is so unbelievably fake! I don't believe people would think this is real! Just look at it-- Jony Ive's head looks all wrong, and he's wearing a suit? If you blow the video up to full screen you can see how they made it all blurry to try and hide the photoshop work.

I'm surprised they didn't try filming this in an elevator...

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Price is relative to the time. One of the first computers I got to work on cost literally $12 million dollars. No kidding.

I spent many nights for hours in front of that double tube console. It still has features not present in small PC's and Macs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDC_6600
You can see the console with some of the CPU in the background, disks and tape units and printers would be to the operator's back.

At the time $10K was a lot for a personal desktop machine but "cheap" for a "real computer".

I understand that. I wasn't saying anything about the price. You just took that and ran with it. Not sure what all that is about.

I owned Macs that cost almost that much at the time and the external hardware was well over that.

tylernol

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
Wait… Did I see a BOSE logo on that subwoofer????

I'd like for Apple and BOSE to work together again and make some incredible laptop and desktop speakers. And I know they won't be the first (look to HP and Beats, but really, they are Beats, c'mon), but they will be one of the best.

Bose is not very good. Plenty of other great speaker makers out there.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
BOSE is all name.... their products are so-so.

There is a reason why they never publish their specs on their speakers... because they aren't that great.

same could be said about Apple. so really, they're a perfect match.

To a regular consumer, Bose sounds great.

EDIT: the man doesn't age!

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
Price is relative to the time. One of the first computers I got to work on cost literally $12 million dollars. No kidding.

I spent many nights for hours in front of that double tube console. It still has features not present in small PC's and Macs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDC_6600
You can see the console with some of the CPU in the background, disks and tape units and printers would be to the operator's back.

At the time $10K was a lot for a personal desktop machine but "cheap" for a "real computer".

Wow, I just got myself some core memory from Ebay to show my students as an example how bits could be counted physically on early computers. Only to find out that the cores on the CDC_6600 are almost to small to be seen :eek:

I hate it when perfectly good hardware becomes obsolete because of some recent software-fad.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Wait… Did I see a BOSE logo on that subwoofer????

I'd like for Apple and BOSE to work together again and make some incredible laptop and desktop speakers. And I know they won't be the first (look to HP and Beats, but really, they are Beats, c'mon), but they will be one of the best.

There is a reason why they never publish their specs on their speakers... because they aren't that great.

Although Bose makes decent speakers once in awhile, they are perhaps the most overrated consumer electronics company in the world. You can get much better speakers for less money. There's this running joke that audiophiles use to describe Bose: "No Highs? No Lows? Must be Bose!"

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

:)

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Although Bose makes decent speakers once in awhile, they are perhaps the most overrated consumer electronics company in the world. You can get much better speakers for less money. There's this running joke that audiophiles use to describe Bose: "No Highs? No Lows? Must be Bose!"

Or "Bose: better sound through marketing."

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
I remember a couple years ago, my wife and I were showing our apartment to a series of people to take over our lease.

4 out of the 5 people/couples who saw the place asked me about my TAM and had more questions about that than the apartment. haha

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
That really was a beautiful computer; it would still look great on a desk even today (which is very telling).

Listening to Ive really makes you appreciate how much thought is involved with even the most minute of details. I'm glad he's in a position of great authority in Apple.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
I remember. I wanted one- But they were rather expensive and not a good deal compared to the other Macs available at the time.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC

At Best Buy back in '96 we had a tagline for that "no highs, no lows, it must be Bose".

I will give props to Bose for "big" sound from a small package. But I'll never buy for my home or car (disclaimer: I have a pair of 301s that my brother gave me on my porch). 1970's tech, high THD and WAY overpriced.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Makes you realize just how stale and dull Apple's product launch videos have become.

bitcloudrzr

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2012

I like Better Off with Something Else.

Paradigm speakers and Ultimate Ears in-ear monitors are far better than anything BOSE or Beats will produce. Also a myth that audiophile sound gear costs an arm and a leg too.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What amazes me most is how little has changed about Ive and his design philosophy. Almost everything he said in that video could apply to his approach to the new iMac or iPhone as well. The man is certainly consistent.

This is the first time that I've seen this video, which is amazing because I've been following Apple closely for the past 20 years. It really shows how Steve walked back into an Apple that already had a genius (Ive) working behind the scenes. It just took Steve to capitalize on that and bring Ive's genius to the forefront. He did that.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald

You are entitled to be wrong...

I have compared their products side by side with other high end speakers and all I can say is, you pay for what you get. I have used Bose products now for 3 years and am blown away by both the product design and most importantly, the sound.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I'm in stitches watching that!

"It has fabric on the speakers. And rubber on the top" :D

OH MY GOD, I MUST GET ONE!!!!! :D

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I like Better Off with Something Else.

Paradigm speakers and Ultimate Ears in-ear monitors are far better than anything BOSE or Beats will produce. Also a myth that audiophile sound gear costs an arm and a leg too.

But bose and beats are consumer friendly. they're not the most accurate/capable, but they have clean, consumer friendly designs, and have a 'wow' sound that is appealing to customers. exhibit a: the bose sounddock... look how popular it's become and a lot of people swear by them.

Sort of like iOS vs Android.

expensive, small designs, big (though not the most technologically great) sound...kind of like the iPad mini?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.