Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
I usually put my phone in my left pants pocket, but I am not sure if this will have any long term health effects in terms of male fertility because of its proximity to you know what. I have also seen guys put their phones in their shirt pocket. Is that bad for the heart? Anybody keep their phones in other places? Have there been any studies done on the safest place to carry cell phones on the body?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Safest thing is to always wrap your phone in aluminum foil so no radiation leaks out.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
I usually put my phone in my left pants pocket, but I am not sure if this will have any long term health effects in terms of male fertility because of its proximity to you know what. I have also seen guys put their phones in their shirt pocket. Is that bad for the heart? Anybody keep their phones in other places? Have there been any studies done on the safest place to carry cell phones on the body?

As long as the phone is idle, and not doing anything, I think you should be safe for the most part. However, do not quote me on this, I also worry a bit since there have been no concrete studies just yet since cell phones are still a new technology.

With that in mind, what I do is take my phone out and put in on my desk. I do this both at home and at work, and only put it in my pocket when I'm out and about. This greatly reduces the phone's contact to your body.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
put it in your backpocket. So when you are walking you can have it somewhere secure, but when you sit down, you have to take it out and put it somewhere.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
There was an Italian study discussed on NPR where they showed (using imaging) the radiation does pass to your head during calls, but disperses as soon as you remove your phone (meaning the radiation level is not noticeable).

I too am concerned about it, and wouldn't trust the media or popular opinion as long term studies simply don't have enough data.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Wirelessly posted

EVERYTHING can give you cancer these days. "Researchers" are much too quick to say something gives people cancer and giving products a bad name without actually having hard evidence if it really does.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Radio waves are non-ionizing, so you don't have to worry about radiation in the same sense as say X-rays, UV rays, or Gamma rays from a nuclear reactor etc.

That's not to say that there aren't other potential health risks from exposure to radio waves that aren't yet observed or understood, but it's not going to cause DNA mutations the way say a nuclear bomb or too much time exposed to the sun will.

I'd say don't worry. It's not like you ever have skin irritation where your phone has been do you?

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Radio waves are non-ionizing, so you don't have to worry about radiation in the same sense as say X-rays, UV rays, or Gamma rays from a nuclear reactor etc.

That's not to say that there aren't other potential health risks from exposure to radio waves that aren't yet observed or understood, but it's not going to cause DNA mutations the way say a nuclear bomb or too much time exposed to the sun will.

I'd say don't worry. It's not like you ever have skin irritation where your phone has been do you?

Yes, this exactly.

Mobile phones are no stronger linked with cancer than coffee is (that was actually the direct comparison made in results of the last study I read about).

Besides, mobiles have been around long enough now that we would have started to see thousands reported cases of phone-induced cancers, which we have not.

EDIT: There's also no proven link to reduced male fertility, as the OP queried. The only risk to sperm count that I've heard of (electronics-related) is using small laptops for extended periods. This, however, is not directly caused by the laptop. It's actually the awkward closed-leg sitting position that's responsible.

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
Yes, this exactly.

Mobile phones are no stronger linked with cancer than coffee is (that was actually the direct comparison made in results of the last study I read about).

Besides, mobiles have been around long enough now that we would have started to see thousands reported cases of phone-induced cancers, which we have not.

EDIT: There's also no proven link to reduced male fertility, as the OP queried. The only risk to sperm count that I've heard of (electronics-related) is using small laptops for extended periods. This, however, is not directly caused by the laptop. It's actually the awkward closed-leg sitting position that's responsible.

Hrmm the prolonged exposure to heat from the laptops affects sperm count as well.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Wirelessly posted

EVERYTHING can give you cancer these days. "Researchers" are much too quick to say something gives people cancer and giving products a bad name without actually having hard evidence if it really does.

See this is where you are wrong. Actual research done properly is much more reliable than the research you speak about. It's important to look for research from a reputable source.

Also when a research suggests a link, it doesn't mean that the link is what's causing the variables to change. For example, long cell phone usage is linked to brain tumors. That doesn't mean cell phone usage causes tumors. People who use ther cell phones a lot might be using them for work purposes and stress is what's causing the cancer.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH

I keep my phone in my right front pants pocket, and well, I'm two for two in the kid fathering department, and both were first time tries, so at least, in my case, there was certainly not any detriment to the swimmers.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Just wear a lead apron. Ask your dentist where to buy one. Just be careful, prolonged exposure to lead can lead to lead poisoning.

lead_aprons2010large.jpg

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

No, it is not the leg position; rather, it is the direct heat from the laptop. Anything outside the normal temp, especially in the groin area, is harmful and will result in health problems.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
See this is where you are wrong. Actual research done properly is much more reliable than the research you speak about. It's important to look for research from a reputable source.

Also when a research suggests a link, it doesn't mean that the link is what's causing the variables to change. For example, long cell phone usage is linked to brain tumors. That doesn't mean cell phone usage causes tumors. People who use ther cell phones a lot might be using them for work purposes and stress is what's causing the cancer.

By claiming there's a link, they tend to misinform the average person into thinking it does cause cancer, especially once it gets into the media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.