Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I seem to be getting a bit of dust trapped in the tiny crevice between the screen's glass and the chamfered edge of my iPad Mini. No cloth or rubbing seems to get it out. Might need to try an air canister to blow it out.

Not really a complaint but more an observation.

Anyone else noticing this? My iPad Mini is Black so you see dust more. I'm sure it would be unnoticeable on a white iPad Mini.

Last edited:

jm5309

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
Yes, I've noticed this on my black Mini as well. So far I've been able to get it clean with a microfiber cloth, but it really does trap dust and pieces of fuzz quite easily.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Yes, I've noticed this on my black Mini as well. So far I've been able to get it clean with a microfiber cloth, but it really does trap dust and pieces of fuzz quite easily.

I'm on my 2nd iPad Mini as my glass separated from the edge on my first one... But I did not notice the dust getting caught in the crevice of my first iPad. I had that one for a week.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I have noticed this on my white Mini somewhat.

Thankfully its LOADED with adhesive keeping the screen on. So you shouldn't have to worry about dust seeping in at least. :cool:

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I seem to be getting a bit of dust trapped in the tiny crevice between the screen's glass and the chamfered edge of my iPad Mini. No cloth or rubbing seems to get it out. Might need to try an air canister to blow it out.

Not really a complaint but more an observation.

Anyone else noticing this? My iPad Mini is Black so you see dust more. I'm sure it would be unnoticeable on a white iPad Mini.

Yeah, I noticed this. Mine was so bad that I returned it because the crevices/sides of my iPad mini were white with dust. Rubbing it off with a microfiber cloth only made the problem worse. Also, I noticed the home button was not recessed which caused lots of dust to get in and around the sides of the home button, which created a white ring of dust. This made the iPad look ugly, so I returned it.

Hopefully my new iPad mini comes with a recessed home button like it should, unlike my previous faulty iPad mini.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Mine too....until I had it exchanged on Thursday at the Genius Bar. The replacement has no gap around the edge. Just out of interest, is this on the left of the device (whilst in portrait) ?

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I don't have dust in that area (along the screen) on my white mini, but I do have a fairly large black piece of dirt stuck in the crevice around my home button. I can't get it out at all. it doesn't bother me, but it is very noticeable.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Mine too....until I had it exchanged on Thursday at the Genius Bar. The replacement has no gap around the edge. Just out of interest, is this on the left of the device (whilst in portrait) ?

Mine is an exchange from the Genius Bar. My first one I had for a week didn't seem to have this issue, or I didn't notice.

I am noticing dust at the top (power button side) and on the right side (vol button side).

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Doesn't this happen with all devices? Stick a thin piece of paper in the crevice and slide it along. It should get the dust out.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Happening it to me as well. Just be carefull how you try to remove it. Wouldn't want any scratches on my Mini. Sometimes it is too deep and trapped for just using a dust cloth depending on exactly what is caught in between.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Along the left side does it look weird to anyone in bright lighting at the chamfer gap area? Looks lots of uneven adhesive or some kind of bad cut of the glass underneath that gap at an off angle?

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Along the left side does it look weird to anyone in bright lighting at the chamfer gap area? Looks lots of uneven adhesive or some kind of bad cut of the glass underneath that gap at an off angle?

Yup. Noticed it on my iPad. I mean, you really really really have to look and examine the hell out of it to notice. The way I see it, every iPad you get will have at least 1 flaw if you look hard enough.

These devices are cranked out of factories in China. I wish Apple would do something about the quality/detail and how these gadgets are built, because Foxconn me not cutting it.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yup. Noticed it on my iPad. I mean, you really really really have to look and examine the hell out of it to notice. The way I see it, every iPad you get will have at least 1 flaw if you look hard enough.

These devices are cranked out of factories in China. I wish Apple would do something about the quality/detail and how these gadgets are built, because Foxconn me not cutting it.

Yeah as long as it doesn't get into the screen it should be alright. And as long as it doesn't look terrible at all times caked in there.

More hoping my wifi issues subside. Went from cutting out in standby (not receiving emails or iMessages) to after restoring and setting up new having it connected but not work on the Internet when other devices do at Starbucks then right afterwards on my home wifi.

I hope I don't see that again. At least with the restore it hasn't just cut out intermittently like before (probably corrupt iCloud backup from another device: first one the screen bricked itself and second had terrible quality on buttons and nick on chamfer and a bad tint color less panel. This screen seems fine just like my first except it crapped out).

Went through too many ipad 3s to get one with a good screen. And iPhone 5 sucked too lots of vertical lines on the screen, one buzzing in the earpiece like was an issue with lots of 4S'es apparently, etc)

It sucks wanting an apple product but dreading it because of the exchange game and bad quality.

I still don't think I might ever be able to bring myself to sell my 3 but unsure...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
For people who have had dust in the crevice, and that weird shiny thing that looks glue or uneven cut glass deep in the crevice on the left side in bright lighting at off angles, how has it been holding up since having the device at launch or so?

I've only had mine for 5 days so too early to say, but has dust gotten into the LCD itself?

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
mine is collecting a lot of dust too. a few short bursts of compressed air and it all blows out. not a big deal

unfortunately compressed air doesn't fix light bleed though

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
For people who have had dust in the crevice, and that weird shiny thing that looks glue or uneven cut glass deep in the crevice on the left side in bright lighting at off angles, how has it been holding up since having the device at launch or so?

I've only had mine for 5 days so too early to say, but has dust gotten into the LCD itself?

No dust in the LCD yet.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
I use the tip of a cat's whisker.

Nothing annoys me more than trapped dust between a crevice and chamfered edge of anything.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California

I dont think it's dust but excess glue that u simply can't remove unless u use a thin metal to scrape.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I'll just leave it be.

Don't wanna be scraping factory glue off haha

But I think dust definitely gets between the edge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.