Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I've had good experiences with CineXPlayer. I got it when it was free and I still get the latest updates free too.

Yup, CineXPlayer is the only player that is guaranteed to keep AC-3 support (and, I bet, the jailbreak players: RushPlayer+ and XBMC).

Too bad it doesn't really excel at MKV playback (read: I do NOT recommend it for MKV playback) - the top hardware MKV players play back video with definitely less stuttering. In addition, the current version (3.0.1) still doesn't support the Retina screen of the iPad 3/4. (See my review at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1478727/ ).

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
The former :eek:

Then, get It's Playing before AC-3 is removed from it - it's considerably better than, say, the above-mentioned CineXPlayer HD, MKV playback-wise. Make double sure the version reads 3.7.1 - by the time you read this, it might be updated to 3.8 without AC-3.

And do backup the IPA...

Also, consider jailbreaking - then, RushPlayer+ and XBMC will always have AC-3 (I hope so at least).

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
In the past i used avplayer hd which was the best for me but in my region it is no longer available for download :mad:

I ve never heard for its playing and cineX...

I tried oplayer and ttplayer and their options are awful.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
In terms of mkv with retina enhance which one is better.... i can only buy one. Its playing or CineX?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
In terms of mkv with retina enhance which one is better.... i can only buy one. Its playing or CineX?

As I've already mentioned above, Retina isn't supported by CineX yet, aleit the dev is promising the bugfixed version. If I were you, I'd get It's Playing immediately before it also loses AC-3 (which also supports Retina) - it's still at 3.7.1, that is, still has AC-3 support.

----------

In the past i used avplayer hd which was the best for me but in my region it is no longer available for download :mad:

I ve never heard for its playing and cineX...

I tried oplayer and ttplayer and their options are awful.

Yup, as is also pointed out for example in the feature chart of my forthcoming Multimedia bible, neither of them support hardware MKV playback.

TTPlayer, however, is unique in one respect: audio DSP's. Here's my quick review published in June (in the meantime, the player has entirely lost Dolby support while not really gaining any new, important features or generic improvements):

TTPlayerHD

TTPlayerHD (AppStore link), has just been updated to 1.0.4.

It has some nice and unique(!) features like audio DSP but, on the whole, I don't see any point in preferring it over GoodPlayer or AVPlayerHD. They're far better in every respect (apart from the lack of audio DSP, of course).

A screenshot of the DSP settings (it's in the center):

Note that you can only access them while using software decoding, as opposed to the full screen (vertical stretching) zoom and speed change, which works in hardware-decoded mode as well. Unfortunately, you can't switch audio or subtitle tracks even when using software playback, let alone the hardware one (in which it also uses its own GUI, suppressing the native audio / subtitle track selector) – this is a big minus.

While its software H.264 decoder (the most important decoder of all as most of today's videos, unless you're absolutely into WMV or RealMedia, are encoded in H.264) isn't very good at 720p, at 1080p, it's definitely good. (Speaking of WMV playback, I don't recommend it for high-definition WMV. There're much better choices.)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Yup, as is also pointed out for example in the feature chart of my forthcoming Multimedia bible, neither of them support hardware MKV playback.

Ufortunately, the today-released major update haven't added hardware MKV playback. No better codecs have been provided, either. That is, Oplayer remains not-very-recommended.

(More info on today's update: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1503808/ )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.