Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
Wow. The snark level is certainly high in this thread. I am certainly no hipster. In fact I'm tragically unhip, but I am a bibliophile who often reads on my phone. I love these cases because they feel like holding a book and are a great way to not have to carry a wallet.

Somebody where I used to work asked another coworker why I was always carrying around and looking at my little bible. We had lots of fun with that.

If you don't like it, seriously, reclaim your valuable time and move on to another thread. I wish you well.

Hidesuru

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Wow. The snark level is certainly high in this thread. I am certainly no hipster. In fact I'm tragically unhip, but I am a bibliophile who often reads on my phone. I love these cases because they feel like holding a book and are a great way to not have to carry a wallet.

Somebody where I used to work asked another coworker why I was always carrying around and looking at my little bible. We had lots of fun with that.

If you don't like it, seriously, reclaim your valuable time and move on to another thread. I wish you well.

That's a great story.

Frankly I don't think this would be for me. I don't use bluetooth outside of my car, and I wouldn't want to flash my wallet to talk. I have no problem with it, though. It -is- kind of a neat idea for a case.

I personally prefer a belt-holster thing that just hides under my shirt (I use the minisuit if anyone cares). For one, I have too many things in pants pockets already...

That all being said... can we at least all agree that the name is a bit silly? I mean, BookBook? Really? :p :rolleyes:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

That's hilarious. I'm wondering, does the BookBook fold up into a stand for video watching? I believe I recall seeing that, but I'm not certain.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Now Available

The BookBook for iPhone 5 is now out - go out and buy yours today - twelvesouth.com

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
Meh, hipster must mean something different where you people live. The bookbook certainly wouldn't gain you any cool points, the joke stopped being funny or interesting years ago.

Last edited:

slick316

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Ordered mine in black.

Really liked the one I had for iPhone 4. Simplified everything I normally carried with me. I especially like the new snap mount for the phone with camera cut out. Hopefully I get it next week.

FertileKnave

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
Am i right?

If I understand skeuomorphism correctly, (im genuinely not sure i do its a bit weird) but is this not essentially some sort of physical hardware skeuomorphism?

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
This company is raping the consumer on this. My company gets the same exact case in China for $4 and we sell it to a retailer in Canada for $19.99.

Macsational

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
Tourbus
I actually got a knockoff from amazon for my iPhone 5 last week. It was already chipped on the back and my 3GS was wrecked from a drop some weeks before.
I love the feel of the makes phone, but keeping all my stuff in one is so so so great.
As for it being hipsterlicious, I take true offence ;-p. this cover would never fit into skinny jeans.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I have TwelveSouth products and am very happy with them. I have Book Book for my new MacBook, and Book Book for my iPhone 4S. The phone version looks like a book of quotes from Shakespear, or poetry.. The one for the MacBook looks like an old encyclopædia volume. When I upgrade to the iPhone 5 (or iPhone 5S) I'll be getting another Book Book

There's no other case like it, and I won't use anything else. Accept no substitute, get the one real Book Book, only from TwelveSouth.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
BookBookiPhone_call_gallerymain.jpg

Actual image from their site. Talking on the phone with all your bank cards and cash sticking out? No thanks.

Yeah, after having my iPhone snatched out of my hands and stolen, I'd worry too much about my phone AND my cash/cards being stolen all at once with something like this.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
If the lack of current support in the UK for passbook didnt necessitate i end up carrying a massive purse full of loyalty cards, this might be a good idea.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Dear Mods,

What does a case have to do with iOS?

If there is a connection, other than you happened to start this thread, then why bother having an iPhone Accessories forum?

What's next, MacBook cases in the OSX forum?

saab9573

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009
I'm exactly the same. Determined not to buy anymore cases because after a few hours I take them off never to be used again. Prefer using the phone naked.

i started off with a Switcheasy Nude for my iphone 5.....the cheap plastic power button cover on that case scratched the black slate while I was trying to remove the case....

threw that in the rubbish.....have been naked for 4 weeks now including no screen protector.....no scratches whatsoever! the feel of the original phone and the thinness and lightness overtakes any worry about scratches or dings..

cases are a waste of money and pointless in my view!

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
i started off with a Switcheasy Nude for my iphone 5.....the cheap plastic power button cover on that case scratched the black slate while I was trying to remove the case....

threw that in the rubbish.....have been naked for 4 weeks now including no screen protector.....no scratches whatsoever! the feel of the original phone and the thinness and lightness overtakes any worry about scratches or dings..

cases are a waste of money and pointless in my view!

Completely agree with this.
It started for me with the iPhone 4 and the Apple bumper case. I removed the case once to see a ton of marks on the bezel down by the docking port. Removed the case and found I kept the phone in a much better condition without the damn case in the first place!!
Same with the iPhone 5 - no case, no screen protectors, and its in mint condition.

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
New brackets

It doesn't appear as though anyone has commented yet on the new design on the inside of the case. I don't like the "brackets" used to hold the phone in. It's not condusive for inserting and removing several times a day like I did with my iPhone 4 Bookbook case. I'm sure those brackets will wear out. I did not like using the phone while it was in the case (phone calls, texting, surfing web, etc).

I like the looks of the Bookbook case, but not the functionality. I went with the DODOcase for my iPhone 5, as it's much easier to slip the case in and out of the sleeve.

elicate

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
Florida
I have one of these and its great. Best part is when you pull it out to pay and people think its one of those mini Psalms bible and give you a look that just screams "please dont try to convert me to your religion".

The talking would be weird like that but since I usually only text, the few items I actually do talk I take mine out of the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.