Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
What's the point of a "sleek, ridiculously thin all-in-one" if you have to surround it with external USB and T-Bolt devices?

What's the point?

This is something I've always hated. Given that imacs would probably need to leverage a wider range of users to maintain any real growth going forward, this hardly seems beneficial. I've mentioned before that the new design doesn't even cut the total footprint.

How can you say that without actually seeing the newiMac first hand, they say the screen is a lot better due to the screen being closer to the glass, so would you not be better equipped to make that judgement after seeing one for yourself, instead of prejudging it? This isn't just aimed at yourself but I don't see how anyone here can slate the glass wielding process until they see it themselves.:rolleyes:

The last one was in need of some improvement. If you looked at the Apple site, the most frequent complaint in their rating system was reflectivity. Cutting the gloss factor was probably the biggest thing they could do to make the machine more desirable. Those that were expecting a massive bump in resolution on the imacs this year were setting themselves up for disappointment.

Apart from the addition of the glass, reducing reflection by 75%, I wouldn't believe everything Apple tell you regarding screen quality improvements.

But we measure them with a radiometer. Pay no attention to the fact that expensive displays are not factory calibrated using consumer grade technology, regardless of brand:rolleyes:. They like sound bites, much like any other company. Tell the audience about an expensive tool that indicates very little regarding how it's used or their overall process. Desktop panels have undergone very minor changes since some point in late 2009. We saw display designs based around what was available then. The rest fell in price and implemented minor improvements. Apple probably used any savings to cover the costs of added hardware for the thunderbolt display.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Making some thing smaller is not cheaper!
He is saying shipping will be cheaper.
But u have new screen tecnology which is more expensive.
U have the fusion drive innovation ., which us more expensive.
U have faster processors which is more expensive
And u have much more powerful graphics card .. Which is more expensive.

U are getting a much better computing device for about the same..
Plus it looks damn sleek!

Optical drive issue.. Spend 50 bucks and get an extrnal one if i is that important.. Big deal.

----------

Have u heard usb key chain flash drives?
Or external optical drives.
Or drop box?
Icloud.
Etc
You don't seem to understand that dvd is still a commercial standard. I have no choice if something comes in a cd/dvd. And I don't want to add on an external drive to get a basic function, ruining the point of an all-in-one in the first place. Until companies stop making dvds, it should be a standard on a DESKTOP. Kind of like flash. Until big sites stop using flash, an OS should be able to handle such flash. It doesn't matter that flash is antiquated. Many sites still use it, and there's a void in user experience if its not supported. You can't arbitrarily eliminate support for something as if you live in an isolated bubble.

Supersonic

macrumors regular
May 24, 2006
The sooner the iMac is release the better, especially from a dealer perspective.

With the old iMac being in constraint from August onwards, with last ones being around 4-5 weeks ago now, the possibility of no stock until new year is beyond comprehension.

Its the holiday season soon, and student purchase season now, so 6 more weeks of zero stock will leave, in my belief, a lot of resellers ready to blow a fuse!!!

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
You don't seem to understand that dvd is still a commercial standard. I have no choice if something comes in a cd/dvd. And I don't want to add on an external drive to get a basic function, ruining the point of an all-in-one in the first place. Until companies stop making dvds, it should be a standard on a DESKTOP. Kind of like flash. Until big sites stop using flash, an OS should be able to handle such flash. It doesn't matter that flash is antiquated. Many sites still use it, and there's a void in user experience if its not supported. You can't arbitrarily eliminate support for something as if you live in an isolated bubble.

Modt prople dont use optical drives anymore.. For those who still depend on it the external drive is more than a perfect solution.
Plus i think having a dvd drive on the desk is easer to access than on the side of the monitor. Specially if u plan to put a couple monitors side by side!

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
The Tim Cook Apple paradigm is looking pretty cloudy right now. Not to sound cliche but Steve Jobs was a visionary and a forward-thinker. From an early age he admired fine art and elegance and strived for perfection in all elements of design and engineering. He learned from his father that the same attention to detail must be maintained for items that are hidden or out of sight as for items that are always visible. In other words, take pride in your work and do not cut corners to save a buck. He wanted everybody around him to be as meticulous as he was.

I do not see this same attributes in Tim Cook. The passion for the products seems absent. He may be a great business-man but if he leads the company by the books of the investors he is making a huge mistake, one that is starting to rear its ugly head. Apple has not felt the same since Steve passed away and I don't mean that in an obvious way. Everything from keynotes to product releases to hardware specs has felt like they are turning into a shareholder-pleaser instead of a people-pleaser.

I could be wrong but the business performance is painting a pretty clear picture.

Are u under the illusion that Steve jobs was perfect and that he innovated everything at apple?
He was a star sales person.. With charisma 2nd to non..
But to say apple has changesd and there is no passion for product and they are share holder pleasers only.. Is a far far cry from truth.
All u have to do is look at the new unprecedented line of of products.
Also without pleasing people.. There will be nothing to excite shareholders..
Its people that buy apple products... And it seems the company is selling more than it ever has.
But i have a feeling u will say..." Oh that is all because of Steve jobs setting things in motion".
Not!
Dont discount tim for what he has brought to apple for the last 10 years.
Or ives
Or cue
Or mansfield
Or schiller
Or craig.
Etc........

conchan

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
still some hope...guess this was updated in the last day or so?

27-inch: 2.9GHz
2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M with 512MB

Available in December

27-inch: 3.2GHz
3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX with 1GB

Available in December

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Looks like they are still working out production kinks. Not to mention the training required by the people who will be putting it together.

Then again you have to wonder why go to such lengths for a computer that's generally considered a desktop.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Then again you have to wonder why go to such lengths for a computer that's generally considered a desktop.

exactly who cares how thin it is. Just give me a flacking desktop computer with the latest tech. By the time this comes out, it will prob. be outdated.
If the iMac is getting pushed back, what will happen to the mac pros that are going to be released "early next year. We looking at June now? :rolleyes:

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
If the iMac is getting pushed back, what will happen to the mac pros that are going to be released "early next year. We looking at June now? :rolleyes:

Since it is unlikely a Mac Pro will use a welded case, nor is it likely to come with an integrated LCD, I think you need not worry. :D

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
yeah, the thin thing is kewl, but as been said just give me the machine with the latest tech and i'm not talking about cooling tech or welding tech

davcolley

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
iMac

All the iMacs since they changed over to intel have been great products. And when they change over to an Apple manufactured ARMS processor, they will be even better. Just drink the cool aid, you feel right as rain before you know it.

Apple could buy out the rest of the PC industries for cash, but they have no need of scrap junk.

obsoletepower

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
still some hope...guess this was updated in the last day or so?

27-inch: 2.9GHz
2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M with 512MB

Available in December

27-inch: 3.2GHz
3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX with 1GB

Available in December

This has been up for 3 weeks now since the iMac announcement, nothing new.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
Because thinner is better!

Or something like that.

I still chuckle at how careful the photos of the new iMac are to avoid that it's only thin at the edge. There's a ugly bulge on the back that kind of makes the idea that this is a thin computer silly.

If they really wanted the display to be thin, then put the computer into the stand and just let the thin screen float in air. Like the old swing arm lamp iMac. :)

When I think of "floating" technology I'm always reminded of the coolest Kids meal toy I've ever seen

Now, a sleek thin stand made in this spirit--that can be pulled off and used as a massive tablet--is where I expected technology to be the second I saw this in 1997.

Thinness means nothing if it doesn't detach for handheld use. The best change they could have made would be teaming with BOSE.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Why do you put a space in between words and punctuation? Five periods for an ellipses? Randomly capitalized words? It makes you look crazy, dude. Trust me, when I worked at a newspaper we would get letters from bonafide crazy people and they wrote much in the same manner.

And all you post on here is complaining about Apple. Not saying it's an infallible company but seriously, you come off as some sort of subtle troll. It's like if I were to post on a Fandroid forum and only complain about how Google is messing up.

At that point, I'm the one with the real problems.

Grammar Nazi, hmmm, yeah , I'm the crazy one.:rolleyes:

You have no point as far as I can tell.

I'm not a troll, I am a critic. All people that use tech should be critics.

I criticize Microsoft on other sites related to Microsoft too.

What I will never do is pick a side and act like some kind of brain damaged cheer leader.

What really scares me is religion.I have my views on religion and they are all negative. That's fine, I can separate those people from my life.
But now it's fanatical militant Apple fan boys creeping into every tech site on the net and I feel like I got to stand up every now and then and say "HEY ....this kinda sucks and it's stupid ....and THIS IS WHY !!!"
I don't just go off, I explain why I don't like something. Then people like you chime in with more Apple fanaticism.
It's just too much sometimes

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I don't just go off, I explain why I don't like something.

You know, this forum has a function, that within two clicks lets me see an entire person's post history.

After about 30 seconds of looking over yours, I'd really have to challenge your assertion that you don't just sound off and act like a Negative Nancy.

Because it looks like you do.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
You know, this forum has a function, that within two clicks lets me see an entire person's post history.

After about 30 seconds of looking over yours, I'd really have to challenge your assertion that you don't just sound off and act like a Negative Nancy.

Because it looks like you do.

Your 30 second interpretation of isolated comments I have made, disregarding the thread or context in which they were presented, does not impress me one bit OR give any merit to your attacks on my person.

Good day sir.

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles
So basically people are upset about a rumor being trotted out by a french website with uncertain track record probably based on what was said in the earnings call by Tim Cook.

Fascinating.

...all this speculation would be more appropriate for a website called something like "MacRumors" instead.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
If this is the case then I think Tim Cook should be fired.

Very true. let's face it, his track record - pretty much across the board - has been pretty damn weak.

And the whole essence of their 'innovation' at this point is to continue to make everything THINNER. It's like they're bankrupt of ideas and all they got is this 'thin' thing.

----------

Every successful company has failed its way to success. If you don't operate on the bleeding edge of technology and constantly pushing the envelope, you're just a second-rate also-ran.

But the 'bleeding edge' with Apple simply amounts to making it thinner. Is that all they got?

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
If this is the case then I think Tim Cook should be fired.
Yeah. Let's fire everyone with a stellar track record over a single misstep, so that they can be replaced by less competent people. Why? Because we are vengeful, unforgiving apes with a taste for blood. BLOOOOOOODDDDD!!!!

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Early 2013 could be as late as March 2013. My decision to go with the rMBP is looking better and better all the time. I'm still waiting for the Thunderbolt Display however.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Waiting for what ? It's been available for ages.

I think he meant an updated thunderbolt display that takes on some of the updated characteristics. The point of value I could see there would be glare reduction and usb3. The rMBP is still shiny, but it isn't as plagued by direct reflections as the others. They aren't scattered like with a matte coating, but their contribution to the total brightness is diminished considerably. Basically you still see a somewhat sharp reflection, but it's much dimmer relative to the transmitted light.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I think he meant an updated thunderbolt display that takes on some of the updated characteristics. The point of value I could see there would be glare reduction and usb3. The rMBP is still shiny, but it isn't as plagued by direct reflections as the others. They aren't scattered like with a matte coating, but their contribution to the total brightness is diminished considerably. Basically you still see a somewhat sharp reflection, but it's much dimmer relative to the transmitted light.

I personally have not noticed any difference between my rMBP and my old Unibody MacBook.

The only advantage to an updated Thunderbolt display would then be USB 3. In the end, if you want matte and USB3 though, the Dell U2713hm is a much better choice than a Thunderbolt display anyhow.

At least Dell offers a "No bright pixel" policy, something Apple really needs to get the ball rolling are. Their pixel defect policy is atrociously outdated.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007

The comment was "later next year" as in most likely later in the year . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.