Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Good to hear. My only issue is with the power button placement, but it's true of most androids I believe. I always end up hitting one of the volume keys when turning it on/off, as opposed to the top placement of the iphone's power button.

The power button is offset from the volume on the opposite side ever so slightly. Been used to the side button since the Nexus S but initially I used to catch both buttons on it! :eek:

It is something I've gotten used to and there would be a usibility issue with it on top of such a large phone!

----------

Indeed I have!! :eek::eek:

it was off, then I forgot I'd turned it back on.

Much slower results soon... [edit]edited the original post. :)

14 megabits down isn't bad despite the reduction. You're beating me on up speed too. Not bad at all.

----------

It's strange that with a 2100 mAH battery, the phone isn't performing very well (from what I hear) Could somebody try running the app 'CPU Spy' to see how long the CPU is in deep sleep? Also, how do you find the standby performance to be?

Just installed cpuspy and will see whats going on over the next charge cycle! :)

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
although those with OCD about fingerprints will have a seizure within seconds of handling it, it is a fingerprint magnet, I know, so are most phones, but this just seems to show them more,

Fingerprint magnet? Sure, but really no more than the 4S.

I am ashamed to say that I still had the plastic covering on the front and back.:eek: Never even noticed until I thought there was a blemish on the corner of the screen.

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
for my contacts I used the iphone app "contact sync" it lets you move your iphone contacts to your google account

Do you have a link for that app? I think I am going to wipe my google contacts, which I loaded a few years ago and never updated, and then move them over from iOS.

Michael

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I am ashamed to say that I still had th plastic covering on the front and back.:eek: Never even noticed until I thought there was a blemish on the corner of the screen.
I had the one on the back for a while too. I was annoyed at a tiny little tap-like area on the upper right. "Not clean lines!" I thought... then I realized it was the plastic.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
You guys are crazy :p i consider those results pretty damm good !

These is my connection after the 5gb cap:

heve5uqe.jpg

I think its pretty legit speeds :eek:

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
For those who switched from iOS to the N4 and kept there current line (by just getting a new micro sim for the N4 or keeping your current micro from the 4S), have you been having problems sending texts to iMessage users?

I read there was a report where texts weren't being received and vise versa once your not using iMessage anymore.

That was my only main concern as I'm still waiting for my N4

Please post input, thanks

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

Oh good.... that was the one I found in the app store and have been waiting to buy it. Looks like it will do the job. Hopefully won't be any problem de-icloudifying my macs.

Next up, calendars.

Michael

----------

Oh good.... that was the one I found in the app store and have been waiting to buy it. Looks like it will do the job. Hopefully won't be any problem de-icloudifying my macs.

Next up, calendars.

Michael
Well I don't think I will even need the contacts sync app. I exported all my contacts on my mac from the Contacts app in vCard format then simply imported that file via google.com/contacts. Voila, all my contacts in Google, including pics, notes... everything. :)

Michael

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Tempted to buy you a beer and ogle over your phone.
Good Lord, man! You think I'd let my new baby near liquids?!?

I just started allowing myself to drink near my Dell mini9, which I bought for $199 around the time it was discontinued several years ago. :p

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
For those who switched from iOS to the N4 and kept there current line (by just getting a new micro sim for the N4 or keeping your current micro from the 4S), have you been having problems sending texts to iMessage users?

I read there was a report where texts weren't being received and vise versa once your not using iMessage anymore.

That was my only main concern as I'm still waiting for my N4

Please post input, thanks
I think you need to turn off iMessage on the iPhone before swapping the SIM. Otherwise it is still trying to send iMessage to the other phone and then even SMS fails. I will find out later I am sure.... still waiting for delivery.

Michael

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Well I don't think I will even need the contacts sync app. I exported all my contacts on my mac from the Contacts app in vCard format then simply imported that file via google.com/contacts. Voila, all my contacts in Google, including pics, notes... everything. :)

Michael
Well I am glad I have had all this time WAITING for my N4 in order to better plan a data migration strategy (yes I just wrote that with a straight face).

This seemed to be the way to go for Contacts, that syncs between my macs, ipad, pcs and presumably Nexus 4 (and for now my iPhone 4S):

1.) I exported all my contacts from the Contacts app on my mac, which was already fully in sync via iCloud, to vCard format (one file). I then turned off iCloud contact syncing via System Preferences, and chose to delete the contacts on this mac.

2.) At google.com/contacts I first ensured all contacts were deleted (they were old and had not been syncing to anything). I then imported the vCard file from my mac.

3.) Back on my mac I went to preferences from with the Contacts app--which was then devoid of any contacts--and added a CardDAV account for google. Server name is google.com. This immediately brought in all my google contacts, pics and all (including any custom fields I added from iOS/OS X).

4.) On my iPad I simple turned off iCloud contacts syncing and had it delete all onboard contacts. I already had Gmail setup for Exchange so I just turned on contact syncing for gmail. After that all my contacts were back, but this time synced to google. I could have instead setup CardDAV access for google contacts but that is for another day. Instructions are here though:
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2753077

Michael

Last edited:

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
After three days of use here are some ups and downs.

Good:
The device feels really great in your hands. It's a pretty large phone (compared to my iPhone 4, that is) and yet it's pretty light and thin.

The glass on the front and back feels great too.

The rubbery plastic sides of the device feel good and give you a good grip on the phone.

The new gesture tying feature works surprisingly well and is actually pretty useful.

The screen with its high resolution looks very nice. I find it way more comfortable to watch YouTube videos on a screen that size (again, compared to my iPhone 4).

It's a very speedy device. I've never encountered any kind of lag. Loading websites for example is just as quick as on my laptop.

Bad:
Camera is worse than the one on my (two year old) iPhone 4. It's really awful in low light.

Battery life sucks. Without using the phone much so far I've barely managed it through the day.

IMO some features like selecting text to edit, copy or paste it is handled far worse than in iOS. But that might just be personal preference and probably I'd get used to it.

All in all, I'm not yet entirely sure if I'm gonna keep the phone or return to my iPhone 4.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
After three days of use here are some ups and downs.

Good:
The device feels really great in your hands. It's a pretty large phone (compared to my iPhone 4, that is) and yet it's pretty light and thin.

The glass on the front and back feels great too.

The rubbery plastic sides of the device feel good and give you a good grip on the phone.

The new gesture tying feature works surprisingly well and is actually pretty useful.

The screen with its high resolution looks very nice. I find it way more comfortable to watch YouTube videos on a screen that size (again, compared to my iPhone 4).

It's a very speedy device. I've never encountered any kind of lag. Loading websites for example is just as quick as on my laptop.

Bad:
Camera is worse than the one on my (two year old) iPhone 4. It's really awful in low light.

Battery life sucks. Without using the phone much so far I've barely managed it through the day.

IMO some features like selecting text to edit, copy or paste it is handled far worse than in iOS. But that might just be personal preference and probably I'd get used to it.

All in all, I'm not yet entirely sure if I'm gonna keep the phone or return to my iPhone 4.

Oh god, I forgot how bad copying things were haha. Those little cursors are awful. I also had a hard time selecting the exact letter to correct when I made a mistake. The magnifying glass on the iPhone is great.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
For those complaining about battery life, could you post your results after about 5 charge cycles? I'm interested in seeing the results. I'm not sure where I read this, but apparently it takes a few charge cycles for the battery to be fully effective (for all phones).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Hmm. The Nexus 4 camera is actually decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1AQyIuB26k

It seems that the OTA update fixed the dropped frames issue. Can someone else confirm this?
I did some video, and it looks great - the video is, I think, better than the pictures the phone takes, which really do seem to be someone worse than the iPhone 4 (and more so when compared to the 4S). I think they fixed the frame rate issues, based on my 4.2 build video.

----------

More impressions after a bit more time:

I love the screen. Love, love, love, love, love the screen. Love it. Watching YouTube (the hilarious Hitler Nexus 4 video), the area of the video is easily twice that of the 4s (due to ratios, etc.), and it looks amazing (higher resolution). Everything else looks fantastic, too. I don't know how the brightness compares, but it doesn't matter - it's far more than bright enough, even in sunlight.

I love the feel in my hand - not just the sides, which are very comfortable, but the size. It just fits better than the 4S.

Battery life... well, we'll see after a few charge cycles. It's not award winning at this point. But it's not horrible, either.

The camera is... ok. It's fine. It's not stellar. I consider it a result of the lower cost. It's not disappointing so much as it's just not exciting.

The LED... oh, God, I love that I can change the color on it. That makes me giddy for reasons I can't explain.

The OS is a bit off... for example, on mine, I can't turn off vibrate-on-keystroke. I mean, I can shut it off in Settings, but it doesn't do anything, even after a reboot.

I'm still getting used to JB on the phone. I love it on the N7; I'm less enamored with it - at this point! - on the phone. There are differences (different settings, fewer widgets on the bottom, etc). And I'm so, so used to iOS for phones; it will take time to get used to JB. I think I'll be able to, and perhaps like it as much, but, honestly, I think iOS is better at calling/messaging. I just do. We'll see if my opinion changes.

In a nutshell? If this were the Nexus 4 touch, I'd love it. As the Nexus 4 phone... I'm still getting used to it. Once I know the "right" way to do things, I'll see if I still prefer iOS.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Do post your impressions when you get the chance.

Initial impressions so far....

Unboxing was indeed Apple-like.

Setup was a breeze.

It feels fast.

I love the screen.

I love how on, I think it is Google Now, I can just say "google" and it wakes up the voice recognition.

Oh and I was happy to see the nav buttons disappear when playing a youtube vid! How nice on a bigger screen too,

So far good impressions!

Michael

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Initial impressions so far....

Unboxing was indeed Apple-like.

Setup was a breeze.

It feels fast.

I love the screen.

I love how on, I think it is Google Now, I can just say "google" and it wakes up the voice recognition.

Oh and I was happy to see the nav buttons disappear when playing a youtube vid! How nice on a bigger screen too,

So far good impressions!

Michael

Is this your first Android phone?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Is this your first Android phone?

Yes. Been with iPhone since it came out in 2007. Only had an ereader or two with Android (that I rooted) but they were old versions.

This thing is blowing me away so far!

My only gripe is I'm getting hella b1tched at over losing iMessage.

Michael

Last edited:

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Yes. Been with iPhone since it came out in 2007. Only had an ereader or two with Android (that I rooted) but they were old versions.

This thing is blowing me away so far!

My only gripe is I'm getting hella b1tched at over losing iMessage.

Michael

My gf is complaining for just this reason. Thinking of getting the s3

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
As it turns out, I can turn off vibrating keys. I just didn't know where to find the setting at first. I looked in Sounds and it's in Input. Learning curve. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.