Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtmcgavock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
North West, UK
Just interested to know about Apples UK warranty policy, bought an iPhone 4S off ebay for the g/f and it's arrived with a dodgy speaker (Wasn't told about it in the auction). Me being me, i've just gone online and ordered a new speaker board with just the intention of replacing it myself.

However i've just gone on the Apple website, put the serial number in and it's showing with 1 month warranty left. What's apple policy on warranty, with someone who isn't the original owner?

I suspect it's had water damage so I know they wouldn't do out about it anyway, i'm just interested to know their warranty policy for second owners...any one had any experience?

localboy28

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Warranty is linked to the handsets serial number
But as its water damaged they'll do nout.

kaibex

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
East Sussex, UK
Just interested to know about Apples UK warranty policy, bought an iPhone 4S off ebay for the g/f and it's arrived with a dodgy speaker (Wasn't told about it in the auction). Me being me, i've just gone online and ordered a new speaker board with just the intention of replacing it myself.

However i've just gone on the Apple website, put the serial number in and it's showing with 1 month warranty left. What's apple policy on warranty, with someone who isn't the original owner?

I suspect it's had water damage so I know they wouldn't do out about it anyway, i'm just interested to know their warranty policy for second owners...any one had any experience?

I queried this with Apple before as was advised thats its fine, as you would still have a proof of purchase.

On another note though, you could get a refund through PayPal if you wasn't told its faulty!

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
I once had an eBay bought iPod go bad, I took it to my local Apple Store and they replaced it with no problem. They even knew it was an US sourced iPod because the UK one they replaced it with had the Eurpoean mandated volume limit and they had to inform me of the difference.

mtmcgavock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
North West, UK
Ah that's interesting! I thought they did just use the serial number.

Problem is, I picked it up locally and paid cash so I haven't really got any proof of purchase :/ The seller isn't answering his phone, so I suspect he knew there was something wrong with it, so I figured it was best just to get a replacement speaker for £5.

Does the same apply for Macs? I'm thinking of getting an iMac off ebay with a bit of warranty left, would apple still honour it?

kaibex

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
East Sussex, UK
Ah that's interesting! I thought they did just use the serial number.

Problem is, I picked it up locally and paid cash so I haven't really got any proof of purchase :/ The seller isn't answering his phone, so I suspect he knew there was something wrong with it, so I figured it was best just to get a replacement speaker for £5.

Does the same apply for Macs? I'm thinking of getting an iMac off ebay with a bit of warranty left, would apple still honour it?

I had a buyer try it on before after picking up a TV but PayPal said it is down to buyer to inspect at point of collection and as you paid cash not much you can do. I would imagine it would be the same for all Apple hardware

mtmcgavock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
North West, UK
I had a buyer try it on before after picking up a TV but PayPal said it is down to buyer to inspect at point of collection and as you paid cash not much you can do. I would imagine it would be the same for all Apple hardware

Yeah I understand that, you learn from your mistakes. I checked everything else that was the best part, made sure it connected to the network, screen was fine etc. Didn't think to check the speakers :mad:

mtmcgavock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
North West, UK
Just checked both indicators, which don't appear to be red. (I'm guessing they go really red when water damaged, both seem white).

Think i'd get away with a repair without a receipt?

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Just checked both indicators, which don't appear to be red. (I'm guessing they go really red when water damaged, both seem white).

Think i'd get away with a repair without a receipt?

Chill! Just book an appointment with the Genius team here:
http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/

Go down and say its your wifes/girlfriends phone and she sent you down because the speaker stopped working recently. If under warranty without any water damage they will swap the phone for free. If the phone is out of warranty or water damaged they will swap it for a refurbished iPhone for £119, (still might do for free, happened to me many times)

They have never, EVER. Asked me for a receipt, and if your phone shows up here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do I highly doubt they will ask for warranty.

Before opening the phone up, just head down to Apple and they should sort you out, alternately you can do the same thing online, and if under warranty and done online its 99% of the time replaced for a refurrb speaking from experience! No credit card, nothing like that needed if under warranty and it will say once you type your serial number in too!

Last note, do not worry about the refurbished model, you would not be able to tell the difference from new or refurbished !

mtmcgavock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
North West, UK
Just to give you all an update, went down the Apple Store today (Wished I hadn't booked it for today, completely forgot about Black Friday) They took a quick look at it, then just swapped it for a brand new iPhone. Just punched the serial number in their system, showed it was out of warranty in 22 days. The new one apparently has 90 days.

Asked about it being a refurbished one, and apparently they aren't according to the Genius I had.

So we've now got a nice shiny new iPhone 4s for £230! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.