Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Right now Intel probably has their A team working on the "tock" design for a future PC processor family, and their B team on a "tick" version. That leaves their C and D teams for Itanium and Atom.

Apple wants a chip with an Atom-like power envelope designed by an A team, not a C team. So they are playing their hand to force Intel to do so, or lose that market.

But by now, even Intel's A team may know less than Apple about designing super-high-performance systems that can run on far less than 10 Watts.

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
Again, Apple should just buy Intel and move on.
Intel is a huge can of worms. Apple doesn't need that kind of trouble.
Also, there is no freakin' way the Feds would ever approve such a move. As it is, Intel is close to a monopoly when it comes to the consumer desktop computer market, isn't it? Would the DOJ allow Apple to buy Intel and then strangle or cut off the PC market from their #1 CPU vendor?

popiko

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2009
Never changes Apple!

Suicide and tendence... walk like crabs....

Remove Intel = users lose ;)

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Apple's already completely trashed their line of computers, the last thing they need to do is to gimp all of them with a lousy mobile processor.

OS X has been a snoozefest since Snow Leopard with its ridiculous iPadification. Mac Pros haven't received a legitimate upgrade in YEARS for professionals. iMacs got gimped by being limited to one hard drive, no user replaceable ram and no optical drive in a DESKTOP that many professionals still use (iMacs get used frequently in design studios). And the Macbooks... at least they kept the normal line of MacBook Pros with a combo drive, I got mine loaded with two drives (one for OS and the other 1TB for storage and files). They gimp that too and I'll make that the last macbook I buy. The Mac Pro doesn't look like a reasonable purchase either.

Congratulations Apple, you've officially set yourself up for fail.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Apple's already completely trashed their line of computers, the last thing they need to do is to gimp all of them with a lousy mobile processor.

OS X has been a snoozefest since Snow Leopard with its ridiculous iPadification. Mac Pros haven't received a legitimate upgrade in YEARS for professionals. iMacs got gimped by being limited to one hard drive, no user replaceable ram and no optical drive in a DESKTOP that many professionals still use (iMacs get used frequently in design studios). And the Macbooks... at least they kept the normal line of MacBook Pros with a combo drive, I got mine loaded with two drives (one for OS and the other 1TB for storage and files). They gimp that too and I'll make that the last macbook I buy. The Mac Pro doesn't look like a reasonable purchase either.

Congratulations Apple, you've officially set yourself up for fail.

Let's see

Mac Pro Rant - check
iOSification rant - check
Mac appliance rant - check

Any meaningful into on a potential move towards ARM - not covered

You could simply copy and paste your rant into any thread because it has absolutely nothing to
do with this topic.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Let's see

Mac Pro Rant - check
iOSification rant - check
Mac appliance rant - check

Any meaningful into on a potential move towards ARM - not covered

You could simply copy and paste your rant into any thread because it has absolutely nothing to
do with this topic.

Yeah, like you ranting about his rant adds to the discussion. :rolleyes:

The fact is that like it or not, Apple is going to continue to move towards an iOS/OSX merger and the two lines use different processors. I don't see iPhones moving to Intel, so it makes sense that one day Apple would move everything to ARM. They've already proven that they DON'T CARE what users want in terms of hardware. APPLE KNOWS BEST. Sadly, like in years past, this means the eventual downfall of Apple since that methodology only works when you continually innovate and all I see from Apple since the iPad came out (itself just a "large" extension of the iPod Touch) is evolution, not revolution. The innovation died with Jobs and Apple's recent drop in stock price is just a sign of things to come.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Magnus

People yammer on about revolutionary stuff but the reality is revolutionary products are scary. They break from the norm in such a way that they cause introspection as well as trepidation.

When Apple left PPC people were afraid until their learned about Rosetta and other technologies designed to ease the transition.

When people now read that Apple may be looking at an ARM future for everything it "upsets the cart" once again. Many choose to look at the negative aspects "I don't want mobile processors" or "I need to run virtualized OS".

The assumption in these comments is that the processors coming would be the same they have in their iDevice or that the performance in VM would be significantly inferior.

Some of us still love technology and prefer to have a "can do" attitude. Some of us remember when their were multiple companies vying for tech dominance (Sunsparc, DEC Alpha, Elbrus, Exponential...the list goes on) in microprocessors.

Apple on ARM brings back that feeling that "something special" could come that the move to Intel absolutely extinguished. I have the same microprocessor in my Macbook Air that Asus uses or Dell. Bleh

I choose Apple because of the superior (to me) OS and I want my hardware to have the same flashes of brilliance. I'm not saying that this ARM rumor is anything but a pipedream but I welcome the discussion without jaundiced view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.