Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Hi everyone,

On the Apple website - iMac Performance page, there is an image of a car game
on one of the screens.
Does anyone know what the name of this particular game is?

http://www.apple.com/au/imac/performance/

I'm new to games, but would love to get some quality ones for mac.
If anyone has further suggestions of games that would be perfect for the new iMac 27 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX, that would be great.

Cheers,

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I want to say Real Racing 3 (which isn't out yet), but I'm not 100% sure.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If anyone has further suggestions of games that would be perfect for the new iMac 27 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX, that would be great.

Any of them ;) Maybe not on highest settings, but the iMac will happily run any game you throw at it.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You won't go wrong with World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, and Starcraft 2.

Are you just randomly naming some popular games? Quite by chance, all from from Blizzard? :p And what do you mean by 'can't go wrong'? Both World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 were a huge disappointments in my book. I never bought Starcraft 2 simply because it didn't look too different from Starcraft (a game which I still enjoy) to me; besides, I don't trust Blizzard anymore, and I don't want to give them money.

@OP: well, what are your preferences as far gaming does? Maybe we can recommend some games to your liking. Unfortunately, the game market didn't produce any real gems lately, but personally I quite enjoyed Dishonored (if you like the sneaky stealy stabby types of games) and (to less extent) the Mass Effect series (if you like storytelling and RPG elements). If you are fond of simplistic action-based RPG games with open world, you might try Skyrim. For generic strategy games, there is always the Civilization series, which is also available on the OS X. If you like online games, Guild Wars 2 (one-time purchase, no subscription fee) or World of Warcraft (purchase + monthly subscription fee) are more or less the most interesting games right now, based on what your tastes are. If you are looking for a racing game, I can't recommend you anything, as its not really my cup of tea.

BTW, most high-grade games are Windows only. Certainly any game that would require the 680MX is. The games which get ported to OS X usually have much lower hardware requirements, the 680MX would likely be an overkill for them.

P.S. I recommend you installing Steam (a online game store from Valve) and looking though the games there.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I'm new to games, but would love to get some quality ones for mac.

Not sure what the game is, but if you're thinking of playing a few games, definitely check out Steam.

----------

Any of them ;) Maybe not on highest settings, but the iMac will happily run any game you throw at it.

Pretty sure the GTX 680MX should be able to handle a lot of games on the highest settings, or at least very close to the highest settings.

I don't really know much about gaming though.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Are you just randomly naming some popular games? Quite by chance, all from from Blizzard? :p And what do you mean by 'can't go wrong'? Both World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 were a huge disappointments in my book. I never bought Starcraft 2 simply because it didn't look too different from Starcraft (a game which I still enjoy) to me; besides, I don't trust Blizzard anymore, and I don't want to give them money.

@OP: well, what are your preferences as far gaming does? Maybe we can recommend some games to your liking. Unfortunately, the game market didn't produce any real gems lately, but personally I quite enjoyed Dishonored (if you like the sneaky stealy stabby types of games) and (to less extent) the Mass Effect series (if you like storytelling and RPG elements). If you are fond of simplistic action-based RPG games with open world, you might try Skyrim. For generic strategy games, there is always the Civilization series, which is also available on the OS X. If you like online games, Guild Wars 2 (one-time purchase, no subscription fee) or World of Warcraft (purchase + monthly subscription fee) are more or less the most interesting games right now, based on what your tastes are. If you are looking for a racing game, I can't recommend you anything, as its not really my cup of tea.

BTW, most high-grade games are Windows only. Certainly any game that would require the 680MX is. The games which get ported to OS X usually have much lower hardware requirements, the 680MX would likely be an overkill for them.

P.S. I recommend you installing Steam (a online game store from Valve) and looking though the games there.

Wow, fantastic. Thank you for your thorough response.

What kind of games do I like?
Not really into online games, but your recommendation of "Dishonored" and "Mass Effect series" sounds interesting... I do like car racing games though.

Your answer has also got me questioning (again) whether I should get the 680MX gpu or perhaps it is overkill.
I'll wait and see what it's priced at I guess...

.....I've got plenty of time to think about it ;)

Juzo Fuwa

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012

Sigh...

Look man, I just named some games I enjoy that run well on the iMac plain and simple. I didn't have a ton of time so I just threw up some of my favs. I don't care about your anti-Blizzard BS, and I don't think anyone else does either. Just because you don't want to give Blizzard any more of your money doesn't mean you have to crow about yor wonderful little anti-Blizzard bandwagon here :rolleyes:.

If the OP is still interested in any of the games I mentioned, you can buy them at either ebgames.com, Amazon.com, or if you'd prefer going to an actual store you can just go to an EB Games store (I buy most of my games from the EB Games store or their online store). None of the games I mentioned are hard to find. Happy Gaming with whatever you chose to get :).

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Look man, I just named some games I enjoy that run well on the iMac plain and simple. I didn't have a ton of time so I just threw up some of my favs. I don't care about your anti-Blizzard BS, and I don't think anyone else does either. Just because you don't want to give Blizzard any more of your money doesn't mean you have to crow about yor wonderful little anti-Blizzard bandwagon here :rolleyes:.

So now you are trying to insult me just because I am not a Blizzard fan anymore, this is very mature indeed :rolleyes: I was simply pointing out that its difficult to recommend games to someone without knowing their preferences, especially using phrases like 'you can't go wrong'. That said, if anyone looks for a progression based MMORPG or grindy dungeon crawler, I would obviously recommend them Blizzard games, as Blizzard offers top quality in that department.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
If you care to boot into windows, the Crysis series is one of the most graphically amazing games out there. Crysis 3 will come out early next year. I highly doubt that the 680mx will be able to run it at full, but it should run well at medium settings.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
If I get a new base 27" model when their released, would I not be able to enjoy any of these newer "good" games for Mac? What would be my disadvantage for not having a specd out graphic chip?

bbkr

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Speaking of car games, new

logo.png

will be back including OS X port!

No official info is available on game site yet, but I've participated in their Kickstarter and received survey how I'd like to get the reward. OS X was one of the choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.