Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
Same situation for me! It to late to do anything with the one in transit because it's bought/shipped. I'll be returning the one that arrives in a few days and getting one from AT&T at a $150. savings.
$150 savings? Do you mean $100?

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
AT&T sells it for $50.00 less than Apple so it ends up being a $150. discount! :)

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
AT&T sells it for $50.00 less than Apple so it ends up being a $150. discount! :)
It sounds like you're considering the purchase of a refurbished iPad (3). I've seen those priced $50 lower than brand new iPad (3). I doubt any refurbished iPad mini and iPad 4th Generation will be available this Friday.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
They could easily prorate your monthly service fee, not that they would but it is possible.

It's a new enough offer that you're unlikely to find a lot of anecdotes from others on here. You should just ask AT&T directly, even though I doubt it's possible.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
OP, I have the same question and was interested to see people's responses. Don't let the rude replies get you down. Some people get their kicks by being jerks on the interwebs. :-/

Agreed. OP, ignore the trolls. I pre-ordered an LTE iPad (AT&T, delivering today). Then AT&T makes their announcement. I want to save $100 so I will find out when AT&T will have them available. I'll buy it from AT&T, save a Benji, and return the original unopened. An up to 20% discount on the purchase price is too much to ignore.

Off topic: For the folks concerned about the additional cost to Apple that is passed on to consumers, the iPhone forum is a better place to start lecturing where folks return iPhones like they change socks.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
Why the bad attitude towards the OP?

Agreed. OP, ignore the trolls. I pre-ordered an LTE iPad (AT&T, delivering today). Then AT&T makes their announcement. I want to save $100 so I will find out when AT&T will have them available. I'll buy it from AT&T, save a Benji, and return the original unopened. An up to 20% discount on the purchase price is too much to ignore.

Off topic: For the folks concerned about the additional cost to Apple that is passed on to consumers, the iPhone forum is a better place to start lecturing where folks return iPhones like they change socks.

Well said, PNutts.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I had a detailed conversation with AT&T. The rep said the $100.00 discount is available through AT&T and Apple (maybe others?). The AT&T and Apple stores that I have contacted have had no clue about any of this.

My iPad 4 arrived from Apple yesterday. It will be returned soon. I rather save the $ for doing something that I will be doing anyway ( data contract).

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
I had a detailed conversation with AT&T. The rep said the $100.00 discount is available through AT&T and Apple (maybe others?). The AT&T and Apple stores that I have contacted have had no clue about any of this.

My iPad 4 arrived from Apple yesterday. It will be returned soon. I rather save the $ for doing something that I will be doing anyway ( data contract).
Are you going to return your iPad to the Apple Store and buy it back immediately at the discounted price? (I'd guess that Apple might issue a $100 credit, if they figure out a process to get the two-year commitment to happen on the receipt with a credit.)

Last edited:

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Are you going to return your iPad to the Apple Store and buy it back immediately at the discounted price? (I'd guess that Apple might issue a $100 credit, if they figure out a process to get the two-year commitment to happen on the receipt with a credit.)

The two Apple stores that I called this week didn't know anything about the discount so I found that the AT&T store in the same mall as the Apple Store had the iPad 4 that I wanted in stock. I went there, bought it $679.99 - $100.00) then went downstairs to return the unopened box. Easy process all around and I saved $159.75 with tax over the price that I paid ordering directly from Apple when they released it that night.

WatchYouGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012

My 32gb iPad arrived yesterday, however I got a call from my local AT&T store today saying they had a 64gb for me. So, I picked up the 64gb from AT&T and plan on returning the 32gb to Apple tomorrow.

As of right now, the 64gb is plugged into iTunes and restoring from a back up of my iPad 3. :D

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
My 32gb iPad arrived yesterday, however I got a call from my local AT&T store today saying they had a 64gb for me. So, I picked up the 64gb from AT&T and plan on returning the 32gb to Apple tomorrow.

As of right now, the 64gb is plugged into iTunes and restoring from a back up of my iPad 3. :D

Same here. Nothing wrong with using a return policy offered to you. Apple wants me to be happy. I'm happy.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I've had all iterations of the iPhone since the 3G and all iterations of the iPad since the one except for the new 4. I use the iPad (and tomorrow, the Mini!)for reading mostly--Kindle App and iBooks. Also, some web surfing on the couch. To me, the iPhone is great as a phone and texting device, but truly abysmal as an eReader. So, yes to owning an iPad and an iPad!

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Early Termination Fee

Just got off the phone with AT&T and their standard Early Termination Fee for tablets including the iPad under the 2 year contract/commitment is:

$150 ETF if you cancel immediately.
The ETF is reduced by $4 per month, so if you cancelled in the final month of the 24 month commitment the ETF is $54 ($150 - $96).

Obviously it's a moot point if you plan to be using the iPad for the whole time, but a consideration for those who might cancel early.

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
Has anyone with an existing session-based/no contract tablet data plan figured out how to get the iPad with $100 savings? I visited the Apple Store, and they had no idea AT&T is doing this. AT&T said they could only place an order for me in store or over the phone. I can't seem to do this online.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Do AT&T charge an activation fee for the postpaid data plan? If I were to buy an AT&T iPad and add it to my mobile share plan for $10 per month, will I have to pay a $36 activation fee up front?

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I've had AT&T for many years and I will say that $100 is not worth getting in bed with them...Stay FAR FAR Away! LOL

The only thing those guys were ever good for is my unlimited data iPad plan which they offered for a grand total of 6 weeks when the original iPad was released. 4 of those weeks the iPad 3G wasn't even available and the following 2 they were extremely difficult to find. Way to go AT&T :rolleyes:

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Ahhh,... so if I receive my iPad Mini from Apple in the mail, open it, then go to the AT&T store, buy another, and walk the unopened box over to the Apple Store, I can return it to Apple?

That way I'm not returning anyone an opened product, minimal inconvenience, and still getting the rebate? Just have to hope that AT&T gets them in-stock in the next 2 weeks...

By the way, is the return policy for items shipped from Apple 2 weeks from when your package arrives? Or when they charged your card?

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Do AT&T charge an activation fee for the postpaid data plan? If I were to buy an AT&T iPad and add it to my mobile share plan for $10 per month, will I have to pay a $36 activation fee up front?
Yes but you can sweet talk to customer rep on the phone and ask for credit on it.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Ahhh,... so if I receive my iPad Mini from Apple in the mail, open it, then go to the AT&T store, buy another, and walk the unopened box over to the Apple Store, I can return it to Apple?

That way I'm not returning anyone an opened product, minimal inconvenience, and still getting the rebate? Just have to hope that AT&T gets them in-stock in the next 2 weeks...

By the way, is the return policy for items shipped from Apple 2 weeks from when your package arrives? Or when they charged your card?

I'm almost certain they will check the serial numbers on the return - but you don't need to worry, Apple will accept an open box return.

----------

Yes but you can sweet talk to customer rep on the phone and ask for credit on it.

I just managed to do that on an iPhone upgrade - I'm not sure they'll go for it a second time... No harm in trying I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.