Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
I can't help but think that if Apple said "Coming soon" rather than "Coming in October/November" this thread wouldn't be as long as it is.

I'll join in anyway: It better be released today! *Waves fist at Apple* :p

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
I can't help but think that if Apple said "Coming soon" rather than "Coming in October/November" this thread wouldn't be as long as it is.

I'll join in anyway: It better be released today! *Waves fist at Apple* :p

BB-S5-Tio-Bio-590.jpg

Munky

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2011
I love that everyone is getting so bent out of shape over this..

"Apple said it's coming out in November, so therefore if it doesn't come out today, November 16th, it's going to be delayed until December!"

Calm the F down people, jesus.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I love that everyone is getting so bent out of shape over this..

"Apple said it's coming out in November, so therefore if it doesn't come out today, November 16th, it's going to be delayed until December!"

Calm the F down people, jesus.

It's déjà vu with what they did last month, that's why

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Who really cares that much, anyway? iTunes is usually in the background - you play some music, click the x, and get on with what you were doing.

The queue thing looks nice, but it's quite a small thing. Not only that, but it looks pretty limited in iTunes 11. I don't think this is going to fix all my gripes with iTunes music management.

For example, I often like to listen to my music by shuffling a lot of stuff from the same artist (e.g. Bob Marley). That kind of works right now (artists > play all), but the biggest problems are:

- iTunes lists albums by "Bob Marley" serparately from "Bob Marley & the Wailers". I can't highlight both 'artists' and 'play all' on the group. I could make a smart playlist, but I like to see it in the artists view - that's generally where I go to decide what fits my mood right now. Constructing playlists to overcome iTunes' nuances takes the spontaneity out of it.

- if I want to skip to a specific song while on shuffle, I can't. Even if its already playing all Bob Marley songs, double-clicking a specific song will just start playing in order from there.

Those are the things I want fixed with iTunes. If they did nothing else, I'd be fine with that.

westonm

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
- iTunes lists albums by "Bob Marley" serparately from "Bob Marley & the Wailers". I can't highlight both 'artists' and 'play all' on the group. I could make a smart playlist, but I like to see it in the artists view - that's generally where I go to decide what fits my mood right now. Constructing playlists to overcome iTunes' nuances takes the spontaneity out of it.

You can set the Bob Marley & the Wailers album artist to just Bob Marley and they'll be included won't they? I can't recall off the top of my head but I'd give it a go.

BunInJapan

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
Tokyo
You can set the Bob Marley & the Wailers album artist to just Bob Marley and they'll be included won't they? I can't recall off the top of my head but I'd give it a go.

It works. Just typing the name of the artist in the Search box in iTunes will work too...

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008

I'm also quite picky about my metadata - there's something just distasteful to me about attributing the whole album to "Bob Marley". I've got albums by "Bob Marley & the Wailers" where Bob isn't even there for most of the tracks (supposedly abroad at the time, but the songs are still amazing - check out their cover of 'Like a rolling stone'). I like my metadata as accurate as possible, so if I want to check out who composed a song or who's singing in it, I can look it up from there. Not everyone is that picky, granted.

By the way, I did set the "Sort artist" and "sort album artist" to just 'Bob Marley'. They're still separate.

If I search for "Bob Marley", I get a bunch of other stuff too. Here are some examples:

- The Fugees: No woman no cry. Composer: Bob Marley / Vincent Ford
- Damien Marley: Beautiful. Artist: Bobby Brown / Damian Marley

So that's not really what I'm looking for, either.

You can already select multiple artists in the artists field, you just can't "play all" from the group.

And then there's the problem that if you double-click on a specific song from that group (which I think of as in a virtual "now playing" list), it starts looping over the album that song is in and forgets about the collection I highlighted before.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
:apple: needs a little more extra time to get things right and hopes to release iTunes 11 by end of the year :rolleyes:

dont be surprised if something like that happens last week of november.

westonm

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
I did set the "Sort artist" and "sort album artist" to just 'Bob Marley'. They're still separate.
It's the album artist tag you'll want to edit I think. There might be some tricky way to do it with sort fields but nothing I can think of at the moment. The setting in album artist should be fairly transparent as far as your metadata is concerned. Bob Marley and The Wailers will be grouped with Bob Marley, but will also maintain a separate listing containing only them.

You can already select multiple artists in the artists field, you just can't "play all" from the group.

And then there's the problem that if you double-click on a specific song from that group (which I think of as in a virtual "now playing" list), it starts looping over the album that song is in and forgets about the collection I highlighted before.
I can't quite tell what you mean there when you say "group". A narrowed down search? You can play certain artists using the column browser, if that's what you're after.
tcD9N.jpg

If I search for "Bob Marley", I get a bunch of other stuff too. Here are some examples:

- The Fugees: No woman no cry. Composer: Bob Marley / Vincent Ford
- Damien Marley: Beautiful. Artist: Bobby Brown / Damian Marley

So that's not really what I'm looking for, either.
Yeah, search in iTunes has been stuck in it's 1.0 self. In iTunes 11 it seems like it's being changed, but we'll have to wait to play with it to really see what's new and how it functions.

Rocks.

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
I think it's hilarious that in the anticipation of a new release of iTunes, the older version just suddenly stops working properly...

Dr. James

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Ecuador
Hello. I've been following this thread. I think I just want iTunes more than you do.

I hope it comes out someday.

Unless...

itunes11.png

Well, I think that's it, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.