Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Although Bose makes decent speakers once in awhile, they are perhaps the most overrated consumer electronics company in the world. You can get much better speakers for less money.

That sounds eerily like what windows people say about macs.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
That sounds eerily like what windows people say about macs.

Macs are among the best computers you can buy, and often competitively priced or even cheaper than PCs. You can get PCs with comparable specs for less, but they usually skimp on quality, design, or performance.

Bose, on the other hand, are among the best marketed but most over priced "decent at best" speakers (not headphones) you can buy.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
This is so unbelievably fake! I don't believe people would think this is real! Just look at it-- Jony Ive's head looks all wrong, and he's wearing a suit? If you blow the video up to full screen you can see how they made it all blurry to try and hide the photoshop work.

I'm surprised they didn't try filming this in an elevator...

Are you retarded?

----------

No Mac was ever as expensive as the IIfx anyway...:D\

I thought the IIfx and the TAM were both $10,000? Actually I thought the IIfx was $9,999 lol. Granted, in 1990 money that was more than $10k in 1997 money.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
This is so unbelievably fake! I don't believe people would think this is real! Just look at it-- Jony Ive's head looks all wrong, and he's wearing a suit? If you blow the video up to full screen you can see how they made it all blurry to try and hide the photoshop work.

I'm surprised they didn't try filming this in an elevator...

What's fake? The computer? The footage? Don't really get your post.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Except he kept trying to say the backside of the TAM looked elegant. That looked truly terrible.

Compared to the clunky mass of ugly ports most computers of the time sported, it was a big improvement, an attempt to organize and hide the slew of cables needed to make a computer of that era useable.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
BOSE is all name.... their products are so-so.

There is a reason why they never publish their specs on their speakers... because they aren't that great.

Agreed.

Bose is the reason that at a store I worked at customers coming into purchase surround sound systems for their homes (the fancy kind installed in walls and such) had to listen to at least three different speaker systems before being allowed to purchase and schedule installs.

Before the requirement people would buy off of name and come back unsatisfied (the no highs no lows, must be bose is a pretty accurate tag line) and afterwards we never sold a single Bose system (at least to my knowledge).

They're just not good, they're average at best but great at marketing.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011

There is a reason why they never publish their specs on their speakers... because they aren't that great.

... and imho the same applies to Apple computers: it is form over function and performance. Take the continued overheating issues, you cannot have the computer run at 100% CPU utilisation for extended periods of time without hitting the limits of Tj which is too hot.

But hey, Apple engineers know that they are doing? Not!

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
That was an embarrassment when it came out. If you think Steve didn't blast it internally, then you weren't there.

What he liked about it was the base, not the screen unit.

Steve reshaped Ivy's talents and built a massive team around him.

If you think Ivy creates all of this then you insult his teams.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Being a limited edition, at that price point, I wonder how many were ever made, and how many are still left in the hands of collectors.

Watching that video, I also couldn't help but notice how 'spoiled' we now are with HD content all around us. Was it really THAT bad only, what.....17 years ago? We certainly have come a looong way.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I like Better Off with Something Else.

Paradigm speakers and Ultimate Ears in-ear monitors are far better than anything BOSE or Beats will produce. Also a myth that audiophile sound gear costs an arm and a leg too.

I'd agree about Bose, but the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro I bought about 5 years ago was the biggest waste of $350 I've spent on any audio gear. Overdone bass, terrible ergonomics and just plain awful. I still have them floating around somewhere unused. It convinced me that anything other than a single armature canal phone, like the Etymotic ER-4P, is just a gimmick.

That said, some people love them, but I would question their taste in audio reproduction.

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
I have Bose speakers in my center.

However....my 601 series 3 mains, 301 series 3 surrounds and VSS1 shielded center are very old school Bose from the late 80's....back when Bose built some really good speakers. Any my system, as old as it is (the Media amp is new) still rocks the house when needed.

But I do understand the newer product lines are not what used to be.

One of the most incredible sonic experiences I ever had.....a buddy had dual Macintosh Amps driving 4 Bose 901's. This was around 1988. He had the 901's positioned perfectly, about 2' from a hollow space wall. The audiophiles in here will know what I'm getting at...how the 901's worked with direct/reflect sound....and those beautiful (and $$$$$) amps.....it was an amazing experience. The sound was so powerful and rich. It was everywhere, difficult if not impossible to pin down where it was coming from....the room was just full of sound....and it moved through me, like I was a part of the sound. Not painful, blaring or annoying....just very loud, full, rich....and....everywhere. It was a truly amazing use of the amps and speakers as they were designed.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Nice to know.....

to what time the presence of Sir Ive started to make appareance in the Mac world.....:):apple:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
No

Compared to? Last I looked Ultrabooks were struggling to meet Apple’s MSRP; 10" tablets were struggling to meet the iPad MSRP. There are pieces of Apple’s line-up that are grossly overpriced (Airport, most of their cables & adapters), but a like for like comparison Apple is rarely “way” overpriced and often right inline with comparable products.

Apple yes, Bose no. Now Bang & Olufsen*…

Not every profession requires a 12-core Itanium with 64GB of RAM and a petabyte of storage. Louis C.K. edits his television show on a 13" Macbook Pro. I’d wager he does more on that “consumer class” P.C. than most people who post here.

Compared to? Again last time I looked there’s no AIO that competes with the new iMac, there’s nothing even remotely close to the retina Powerbooks or MacBook Airs, nor the new iPad or the iPhone 5.

Thin & light has never been part of the Bose experience. Maybe small, but not thin & light.

Last time I checked, a 7" Nexus with cellular, 2560x1440 display and 32GB internal memory costs less than $329 iPad Mini with puny 16GB capacity and WiFi only. Let's add a few dollars for better material and the Nexus would still costs much less than equivalent iPad Mini.

MBA and iPad once were a jewel on their own class. But competitions are now catching up, both price and build quality are getting better and Ultrabooks get lower price point over time.
Macbook Air? As usual, they cost $999 at the least. Till the end of time.
It's so easy to undercut Apple's pricing while keeping a great build quality nowadays, it's not even funny anymore.

iMac .. well yeah, it's a hybrid and compromise between desktop and laptop. Not really portable, not expandable, yet not as powerful as true desktop. Yes it's the best AIO out there simply because no one interested enough to get serious in it.
iMac is far away from how much power a true desktop could have, or how lightweight/portable a true notebook would.

Not to mention 2011 iMac had been keeping the same price point until 2012 iMac announced. No official discount, price cut, nothing .. Shamelessly.

iPhone 5 is even worse. It costs $649 off contract at the least and so many of them scuffed out of the box. And Phil stated shamelessly it was normal for an aluminum product to be dented and scuffed (out of the box?) :rolleyes:
Lumia 920 costs $450, has decent OS, no less sleek or sexy than an iPhone, and it's not scuffed as easily.

denilol

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
So to all the Bose bashers in here, what should I buy instead?

I'm in the market for something equivalent to the Soundlink Mobile II.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

Simply untrue. Their speakers are great quality and sound amazing.

Pricey? Yes.

S so? Nope.

----------

Agreed.

Bose is the reason that at a store I worked at customers coming into purchase surround sound systems for their homes (the fancy kind installed in walls and such) had to listen to at least three different speaker systems before being allowed to purchase and schedule installs.

Before the requirement people would buy off of name and come back unsatisfied (the no highs no lows, must be bose is a pretty accurate tag line) and afterwards we never sold a single Bose system (at least to my knowledge).

They're just not good
, they're average at best but great at marketing.

Get your ears checked then.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
12,000 were manufactured, 11,799 sold to the public in only a handful of countries (USA, Japan, UK, France & Germany), with the remaining 301 held for spare parts, to be used in one of perhaps 2 places globally that were trained to repair the "TAM".

The original price tag did include a chauffeur delivering and setting the machine up for you... though really sales were abysmal until Steve fully took control of Apple again, and said - get rid of them...

The remaining stock was then sold at US$1,999 - in less than 2 weeks. That's when I bought mine, and imported it to Australia, adding to the 10 that were sent here for promotional purposes only (ie not for sale).

At worst, the TAM was a massively overpriced but stunningly beautiful PowerMac 6500, sharing the same chip and a similar logic board. At best, it was a vision of the future of Apple products for the next few decades...

Yes, it has 2 Bose Jewel speakers in the head unit, plus a Bose subwoofer in the power supply unit... and yes, darnnit they sound great... Not saying I'd buy any other Bose product (never have), but the TAM sounds brilliant.

As for that video... it was my first glimpse of Mr Ive, and given the product I was seeing him showcase, I was impressed with his work. The video came with the TAM on a special CD, though there was also another promotional CD used by resellers that had TAMs on display.

They currently sell for around $500 - $2000 on eBay, depending on condition, and whether it has all its boxes.... perhaps more for an unboxed one... (of which there are some around - people stocked up when the price dropped...)

Last edited:

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Compared to? Again last time I looked there’s no AIO that competes with the new iMac, there’s nothing even remotely close to the retina Powerbooks or MacBook Airs, nor the new iPad or the iPhone 5.

What new iMac? :rolleyes:

I'm also curious how you have such a positive opinion of a product that you likely haven't used?

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Pimp him all you want, but it's still his moronic design that caused all the call dropping problems on the iPhone 4. Him in charge of anything just means that Apple's going to continually fall further and further behind Google.

bitcloudrzr

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2012
no I agree. I don't have bose anything except for the sounddock which i got for free.
But I can't agree that UE is as appealing to consumers as beats.

Well not just UE, obviously there are brands that do a lot of different products like AKG headphones. Which I would recommend over beats, especially since their reference sets go on sale at quite a discount. Amazon.com or wherever.

Simply untrue. Their speakers are great quality and sound amazing.

Pricey? Yes.

S so? Nope.

----------

Get your ears checked then.

There is significantly better at comparable or same prices as several members have already stated. BOSE isn't ****, but they aren't good either and very bassy.

I'd agree about Bose, but the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro I bought about 5 years ago was the biggest waste of $350 I've spent on any audio gear. Overdone bass, terrible ergonomics and just plain awful. I still have them floating around somewhere unused. It convinced me that anything other than a single armature canal phone, like the Etymotic ER-4P, is just a gimmick.

That said, some people love them, but I would question their taste in audio reproduction.

Never had experience with them, but then again it does go with what you listen to. I used to use the Triple.fi 10 and now I'm using their new Pro 900s. They are pretty warm, but I mostly listen to rock.

Same with the Paradigm Shift A2s. They are on the warm side, but I mostly game on them and play music second.

Last edited:

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
He lost me at "what ever a computer is" and kept calling it a "thing" and "product"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.