Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Wait… Did I see a BOSE logo on that subwoofer????

I'd like for Apple and BOSE to work together again and make some incredible laptop and desktop speakers. And I know they won't be the first (look to HP and Beats, but really, they are Beats, c'mon), but they will be one of the best.

I don't think you've heard these speakers on my Retina MacBook Pro! Sounds like freaking surround sound, can even be heard in a room of loud kids.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
Bose:

Buy Other Sound Equipment.

Their QuietComfort headphones and aviation headsets are their only products worth looking at with anything other than laughter in mind.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I don't think you've heard these speakers on my Retina MacBook Pro! Sounds like freaking surround sound, can even be heard in a room of loud kids.

First to admit I'm not an audiophile... but I could use my TAM as the sound system for a party in my house, without moving the TAM out of my study... only thing I did was connect a 3-changer CD player sound-in port, so I could leave it running longer...

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Serious, clipping on the audio. :eek: Wow, Jony has hair. :) Brings back old memories. Remember Steve's "Cube"? One of his flops that no one mentions.
I actually wanted one at the time, for audio. It had no fan and so was very quiet. It used the Power PC G4 and had a really small foot print. If you have one of these in good condition, hang onto it, should be worth a lot in 20 years. ;)

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
You are entitled to be wrong...

I have compared their products side by side with other high end speakers and all I can say is, you pay for what you get. I have used Bose products now for 3 years and am blown away by both the product design and most importantly, the sound.

Back way back. HiFi magazines did A B side by side. And usually people chose the cheaper speakers because the sound was louder. Caring if the system was a two way or three way mattered not, not how tight the sound was. It also depended what type of music that was played, but still in the end the cheaper speakers won out!

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Wait… Did I see a BOSE logo on that subwoofer????

I'd like for Apple and BOSE to work together again and make some incredible laptop and desktop speakers. And I know they won't be the first (look to HP and Beats, but really, they are Beats, c'mon), but they will be one of the best.

I wouldn't, BOSE makes really bad overpriced products. Tarnish to Apples good name these days.

Anyway.

20th Anniversary Mac, is without a doubt one of the coolest computers ever built.

----------

I've got a small Bose system on my computer desk, and it sounds incredible.

No offense, but you have low standards if you think any bose system sounds incredible. They sound OK at best.

I'd love for Apple to partner with a company like Cerwin Vega for speakers.

Back to the Mac, as cool as this computer is, and it was a bit before my time. ( I was just getting into HS when this thing came out ). It really kinda summed up what was wrong with Apple at the time, sure it looked great. But it had tons of issues, and came at a HUGE price.

Those were the days....Apple was making crap....( tho this crap looked awesome )....and HP, Dell, and Compaq actually made really high quailty consumer machines.

Oh how times have changed. And Ives hair has fallen out.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
You are entitled to be wrong...

I have compared their products side by side with other high end speakers and all I can say is, you pay for what you get. I have used Bose products now for 3 years and am blown away by both the product design and most importantly, the sound.

No offense man, but if your blown away by the sound a BOSE system makes....time to try a REAL audio brand.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Macs are among the best computers you can buy.

No, as a Mac/PC Owner for well over a decade, I can tell you that a Mac is no better built than a similar priced PC, its just different. Macs are average on the inside, and shiny on the outside. ( No haters, I currently own 12 Macs )

and often competitively priced or even cheaper than PCs

You mean much more expensive than a PC with the Same Specs? ( Not the imac, the new iMac stands out, no other apple computer does. Don't say rMBP, the thing lags, bad )

get PCs with comparable specs for less, but they usually skimp on quality, design, or performance.

Then buy a PC in the same price range as a Mac, you should see the HP and Dell and Lenovo business grade laptops, some of them blow Apple Laptops out of the water, but they also cost more than a Apple laptop lol.

Bose, on the other hand, are among the best marketed but most over priced "decent at best" speakers (not headphones) you can buy.

Agreed, Ive heard a ton of Bose systems in my life, all of them are just dull and covered in to much bass.

Tho, I got a 50 dollar off Coupon for Bose Over Ear Headphones ( the 170 dollar versions ), gotta say. For under 150 bucks, not bad.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Pimp him all you want, but it's still his moronic design that caused all the call dropping problems on the iPhone 4. Him in charge of anything just means that Apple's going to continually fall further and further behind Google.

Wow, Antennagate, how blown out of proportion was that incident?

Good times.

----------

:)

And don't forget on the Seinfeld "reunion" on Curb Your Enthusiasm, they update it to an iMac (there's also an iPod Nano in a dock on the shelf):

Seinfeld_iMac.jpg

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
featuring a much younger and less-polished Jony Ive, complete with hair and British accent.

Actually he had an English accent as there's no such thing as a British accent.

Poisednoise

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
London UK
Actually he had an English accent as there's no such thing as a British accent.

Not quite sure of your point there. Sure, there are many British accents, but he has one, of those many just as there are many English accents. Of course describing it as an English accent narrows it down a bit more than "British", in that we get rid of the Scottish Welsh and Northern Irish variants, but if you think all English accents are the same... If you want to be specific, it's a fairly soft North London, with perhaps a hint of Essex (but that would just be silly to specify in the context of the article). English could mean Bristol, Brum, Liverpool, Newcastle, Surrey, South London, Essex... Need I go on? :) Calling it a British accent is just fine, as surely the point is simply that its not American, and while he undoubtably does still have a British accent, it has most definitely now been influenced by his time in North America.

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
It looks like an Edsel. Ives is just an industrial designer - a very good one but a designer only. He does not have vision. I hope all you Apple fanboys are not hanging your hat on him..... Beauty cannot replace quality.
Sadly, there is no new Steve Jobs at Apple.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Not quite sure of your point there. Sure, there are many British accents, but he has one, of those many just as there are many English accents. Of course describing it as an English accent narrows it down a bit more than "British", in that we get rid of the Scottish Welsh and Northern Irish variants, but if you think all English accents are the same... If you want to be specific, it's a fairly soft North London, with perhaps a hint of Essex (but that would just be silly to specify in the context of the article). English could mean Bristol, Brum, Liverpool, Newcastle, Surrey, South London, Essex... Need I go on? :) Calling it a British accent is just fine, as surely the point is simply that its not American, and while he undoubtably does still have a British accent, it has most definitely now been influenced by his time in North America.

If he was Glaswegian, they'd have commented on his Scottish accent. Ive is from England, his accent is English.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Macs are among the best computers you can buy, and often competitively priced or even cheaper than PCs. You can get PCs with comparable specs for less, but they usually skimp on quality, design, or performance.Bose, on the other hand, are among the best marketed but most over priced "decent at best" speakers (not headphones) you can buy.

Don't forget the 1440p IPS display INCLUDED in the iMac too!

----------

Last time I checked, a 7" Nexus with cellular, 2560x1440 display and 32GB internal memory costs less than $329 iPad Mini with puny 16GB capacity and WiFi only. Let's add a few dollars for better material and the Nexus would still costs much less than equivalent iPad Mini.

MBA and iPad once were a jewel on their own class. But competitions are now catching up, both price and build quality are getting better and Ultrabooks get lower price point over time.
Macbook Air? As usual, they cost $999 at the least. Till the end of time.
It's so easy to undercut Apple's pricing while keeping a great build quality nowadays, it's not even funny anymore.

iMac .. well yeah, it's a hybrid and compromise between desktop and laptop. Not really portable, not expandable, yet not as powerful as true desktop. Yes it's the best AIO out there simply because no one interested enough to get serious in it.
iMac is far away from how much power a true desktop could have, or how lightweight/portable a true notebook would.

Not to mention 2011 iMac had been keeping the same price point until 2012 iMac announced. No official discount, price cut, nothing .. Shamelessly.

iPhone 5 is even worse. It costs $649 off contract at the least and so many of them scuffed out of the box. And Phil stated shamelessly it was normal for an aluminum product to be dented and scuffed (out of the box?) :rolleyes:
Lumia 920 costs $450, has decent OS, no less sleek or sexy than an iPhone, and it's not scuffed as easily.

Hmmm, last time I checked you could upgrade the cpu, gpu, ram, hdd etc.
It uses DESKTOP cpus, gpus and ram. The 680mx in the BTO 27'' is the same performance wise to an underclocked DESKTOP 680 and knowing Apple they probably overclocked it! It also includes a 1440p IPS display which cost a lot of money on their own. So really the iMac is an OK of not good deal compared to other hardware.

EDIT: Have to agree about the iPhone 5 and the Lumia 920.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
BOSE is all name.... their products are so-so.

There is a reason why they never publish their specs on their speakers... because they aren't that great.

A lot of people used to say the same thing about Apple and a lot still do.

If one were of that opinion, an Apple-Bose linkup would be more apt than ever.

In fact, before the Apple Stores existed probably the closest thing to them was the Bose factory stores -- high end mall locations, style, presentation... In fact if memory serves a lot of the early Apple stores were intentionally trying to get into the same places Bose stores did and several were even co-joined from stories I've heard -- portions of the walls knocked down so customers could browse either store without leaving through the front door. I know in my local upscale mall the Apple store was two doors down from the Bose store with all the expensive niche storefronts. It has also moved twice to bigger space since the begining.

Last edited:

Astroexe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Netherlands
To me, this design is the most dated of Apple products: Compared with The Cube, the "Lampstand" iMac, the colours ad, the original iPod mini.. all these designs have a certain characteristic which is distinguished and polished.. this design looks like the era it came from more than anything else. As a time piece, I guess, it worked... but it's certainly not the best of Ive's work.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It looks like an Edsel. Ives is just an industrial designer - a very good one but a designer only. He does not have vision. I hope all you Apple fanboys are not hanging your hat on him..... Beauty cannot replace quality.
Sadly, there is no new Steve Jobs at Apple.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.