Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hello12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
So there was an issue with our imac, and my GF brought it to the apple store. Long story short, the genius bar guy deleted a really large file called "old users" because the full memory was the issue...
Fast forward to tonight - My mother goes on the computer and notices ALL of our pictures in iphoto are gone...
Is there any possible way to recover files once they have been deleted from the trash? We are going back to the apple store tomorrow... I never ran into a problem like this before so I have no idea what to do. :eek:

Nov 28, 2010
located
To retrieve files, that have been deleted and also been emptied from the Trash or are on unrecognisable partitions or HDDs, you can use

• Data Rescue 3 - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • FileSalvage - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • DiskDrill - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (79 USD)
  • Nice To Recover - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (69.95 USD)

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive / storage capacity":
It is recommended, to have 10 to 20 % of the SSD/HDD's capacity unused.
The above links also apply to SSDs.

hello12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Thank you! So there is still hope!? Is it necessary for me to go back to the apple store?... I mean its their fault this happened. Thank you for the suggestions. I obviously am not very tech-savy.
Which of the programs you suggested are the best or are they all pretty good?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thank you! So there is still hope!? Is it necessary for me to go back to the apple store?... I mean its their fault this happened. Thank you for the suggestions. I obviously am not very tech-savy.
Which of the programs you suggested are the best or are they all pretty good?

I used DataRescue 3 before with success with two HDDs and as for going to the Apple Store, I do not know how liable they are for such mistakes, if you did not explicitly told them to delete old user folders. They probably thought, it has been deleted by you, but that you did not complete the deletion successfully, thus helped completing it.
What was that user folder doing there anyway?

hello12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I used DataRescue 3 before with success with two HDDs and as for going to the Apple Store, I do not know how liable they are for such mistakes, if you did not explicitly told them to delete old user folders. They probably thought, it has been deleted by you, but that you did not complete the deletion successfully, thus helped completing it.
What was that user folder doing there anyway?

When this all happened today, my GF asked the guy as he deleted it: "Wait I think there is important stuff in that file", and he said no, a file like that dosen't make sense (or something along those lines).

Here is the reason that file was there --- My brother deleted one of the system folders ages ago (don't ask me why), so we brought it to the apple store and it took them a really long time to recover the data, but they did, and put it in a folder "Old User Data" (This was a few months ago)... And apparently in that folder was all of our videos/pictures. Really, the videos/pictures are all we need recovered.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I agree that you should try a data recovery program.

By chance have you been backing up your machine? That is the best way to get your data back.

/Jim

EPiCDiNGO

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
It's not really there fault. You're supposed to always have a back-up of your files before bringing in the device.

How can u say it's not there fault when they was told "wait there is important information in there" and they still delete the folder? :apple:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
How can u say it's not there fault when they was told "wait there is important information in there" and they still delete the folder? :apple:

Because any service centre can not guarantee the integrity of your data, and tell you that you should have backup. More centres should refuse to do any work unless you tell them you have a backup, but they'd probably lose 80% of their clients.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL

Well he did make a bit of an assumption there but in reality, the user should have known what was in that folder and at the very least renamed it at some point so it wouldn't get accidentally deleted. And of course having no backup strategy is never anyone's fault but the user.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I agree that the tech should have looked in the folder before deleting it, just to be sure, but it really is on the User to back up important data. Family photos and videos should be backed up regularly. Whom would you blame if the hard drive simply failed? Ultimately, it is your fault. I have photos backed up to two external drives, and once or twice a year, burn DVDs and leave them at my parent's house. Can't replace pictures of the kids growing up, better to have them stored as many places as you can.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
To many websites where you can backup all of your photos for free.... Even a backup drive which you need to have anyways.....

Finally it is not apples fault as within their policy it is stated if they operate on your computer there is a possibility that you may lose whatever files are on it.

Lesson learned.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
it was a two situation, definitely should of had a back-up and the technician shouldnt have been such a douche when it was said Oh wait i think theres important stuff there.
before deleting anything it should be reviewed. which he didnt do and pretentiously said "oh no it doesnt make sense its fine delete".

highly recommend DataRescue 3, and invest in a back-up drive.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
My motto is:

"There are two types of computer files; those that are backed up and those that are lost."

*Always* have a backup solution in place. An external hard drive is as cheap as chips and Time Machine is pretty good at just being something you can set up and forget until you need it.

hello12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I agree that the tech should have looked in the folder before deleting it, just to be sure, but it really is on the User to back up important data. Family photos and videos should be backed up regularly. Whom would you blame if the hard drive simply failed? Ultimately, it is your fault. I have photos backed up to two external drives, and once or twice a year, burn DVDs and leave them at my parent's house. Can't replace pictures of the kids growing up, better to have them stored as many places as you can.

Apple, for free, agreed to try to try to get the files back that he deleted. And no, it wasn't my fault the "genius" should have checked to see what was in there first - sorry. (I asked if it was an important file, he said no)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.