Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
just wondering, did you get a replacement? was your first phone getting less?

also according to this

http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-iphone-5-features-battery-life-may-be-affected-cellular-signal-strength-796725

its got to do how strong your cllular signal is, if its strong less battery use etc

so can you comment on this also..

cheers

Oh, the Apple loyalists on here won't like what that article says about their "perfect" idevice:

Apple has a long history of battery problms in its products, and it looks like the iPhone 5 is no different.

And iLounge linked from that article further trashes the poor battery life of the iPhone 5:

As much as we’d love to be able to say that the iPhone 5 is an “all day” phone, it’s still not: just like most of its predecessors, Apple prioritized new thinness and speed over battery life. Consequently, it’s advisable to keep a charging cable nearby, lest you find yourself out of juice at or before 5pm. This isn’t terribly different from the iPhone 4S, and your mileage will vary depending on local cell tower strength, but it was certainly disappointing for us—battery life is certainly one of the two biggest issues with the iPhone 5.

Because of the iPhone 5’s tendency to run low on juice just when the night’s getting started, heavy users and frequent travelers will once again find themselves in need of spare battery packs and chargers.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
with all that thinness.. u'd think pple wld just add a battery pack to attach it to their iphone to make it look almost like the other phones out there. big n bulky.

with the same mAh capacity batteries, they(iphone) wld last much more than their counterparts.

but no, they just whine.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
The problem with people nowadays is that they trust what they see on the Internet too easily. Come on, if I were you, I'll trust the device I'm using, not something I read on the Internet. Take everything on the net with a pinch of salt, not everything is true.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
I still haven't killed my iphone 5 battery. I can't kill it in one day and I charge it every night. I always watch the usage and I'm usually on track to get 8-9 hours per charge. I'm using the first and only 5 I've had.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi,

I get around 1.5 days of usage from my usage pattern.

My iphone 5 was new out of the box my a Uk Apple Store.

The best thing i ever did to solve battery worries was to turn off the % sign !!

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I am getting over 24 hours now on average os standby, and 8+ hours of use.

Yes, this is a replacement device and yes my first device was worse. However, I don't think my first device was faulty, but just that it was the first couple of days of use and I was busy syncing/downloading/setting up. On top of that, I had everything running including location services and push notifications. With my current device I have much more turned off.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
I am getting over 24 hours now on average os standby, and 8+ hours of use.

Yes, this is a replacement device and yes my first device was worse. However, I don't think my first device was faulty, but just that it was the first couple of days of use and I was busy syncing/downloading/setting up. On top of that, I had everything running including location services and push notifications. With my current device I have much more turned off.

All depends on many variables such as; Your usage pattern (surfing,playing games etc) also on where you use your phone. If the signal is good where you use it your battery life will be better. If you're using Wi-Fi your battery life will be better, Also what 'pushes, widgets etc' you have on.
Bottom Line is that there are a lot of variables in getting better battery life.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I get 8+ of usage most of the time. My trick is to turn off 3G when I'm at home and on Wifi.

The iPhone 5 doesn't support LTE where I live but that tip is probably relevant for LTE as well.

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I am very happy with my iphone 5s battery life. With my 4s I was used to having to plug it in half way through the day. I get just about a whole day of use now with my 5.

Today's stats. Time since last full charge:
Usage 7 hours 26 minutes
Standby 23 hours 40 minutes.
Currently at 15% battery life

Launch day iphone 5, with everything turned on all the time, wifi, notifications, Bluetooth, LTE, push email, etc.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
i can squeeze 10 hours and 40 minutes usage if my brightness is set not above 30%. that's it.

bluetooth off, wifi, 3g on, system services in location services are all off.
disable imessage in lockscreen and notification bar because if not, every imessage coming through will turn on the screen because it's shown in the lockscreen.

and for people who imessage alot, this is important. just set the notif bar and lockscreen off but enable the banner, sound and badge.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
mah doesn't matter THAT much. I've seen Android phones die faster than the iPhone 4S. And it's only common sense that if you have poor signal the battery life will suffer.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Oh, the Apple loyalists on here won't like what that article says about their "perfect" idevice:

Wait, so when something works for somebody, they LIKE it, and when it doesn't work for someone, they don't like it? And both types of people will probably freely express their opinions? What a concept!

6yy7.gif

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
This is my first phone. I constantly get 8 hours or so, sometimes more if I don't play games as much. Don't listen to that second poster; almost all the reviews have praised the 5's battery life, as has nearly everyone here.

But yes, cellular makes a BIG difference. When I'm visiting family in a 1-2 bar "4G" area (not LTE), my usage time is almost halved. I only get 8+ hours with a mixture of mostly Wi-Fi and some LTE.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
My launch day iPhone 5 consistently gets 8 hours of usage (without music). I've never seen it go below 7.
- 40% brightness in normal use
- 100% brightness in bright sunlight (which is NEVER during the fall/winter here in the UK)
- 3 email accounts with 2 set to push and 1 set to manual
- Lots of web browsing
- Some youtube watching (10-20 minutes - I normally catch up on my video feed on my iPad before I sleep at night)
- An odd game of angry birds or kingdom rush every now and then
- Web browsing/facebook/twitter/iMessage/Whatsapp
- Around 30 minutes to 1 hour of calls

I think I have good battery because I'm mostly on wifi. I have wifi at home and on campus and pretty much everywhere in between but I keep my 3G on anyway and use it whenever there isn't a wifi connection available.

I'm also using a carrier that has good nationwide coverage and I'm in an area of strong cellular signal.

The battery life may not be able to get some heavy users throughout the day (bluetooth, location services being used constantly, many email addresses set to push) but for me, I've never ran out of battery before my day has ended.

I'm happy with the battery on the iPhone 5 :)

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
I have an iPhone 5 white, it's the 1st one and I didn't need a replacement. Flawless and getting pretty over 8 hours of usage.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I was in secaucus nj (few miles across the Lincoln tunnel from NYC). LTE coverage was iffy, I guess it's signal spewed over from NYC. My phone had 99% charge. Less than an hour later, with 15 minutes of use, my battery dropped to 88%. I honestly don't know how some reviews claim over 8hrs of LTE use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.