Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Dang dude! You should change your username to BumperGuru or something! Thanks for all the useful knowledge, its super insightful. Good connection between the plastic light port surrounding being the key element of the "good" design. Now we all know what we're looking for. However, I think that the Elago might be in a different category completely. Although they don't have pictures showing the bottom port cutouts head on, you can tell from the pictures of the bumper (with no phone in it) that there are three separate cutouts unlike the Photive/Monoprice/Poetic. I would also think that since they are known for being made in USA and all that jazz that they might be made to a bit better standard of specifically meeting their standards? Just a thought.

The page said designed in Cali but made in China, but I agree with you. The pics do make it look like the cutouts are separate, but I guess I'll see next week. From what I can tell on the pics, the S5 bumper looks very similar to Elago's S5 flex case, just without the back.

KeithLilja

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
The page said designed in Cali but made in China, but I agree with you. The pics do make it look like the cutouts are separate, but I guess I'll see next week. From what I can tell on the pics, the S5 bumper looks very similar to Elago's S5 flex case, just without the back.

Ahh yes, very true. Well at least mainly by "BumperGuru's" account on the flaws of bumpers seems mainly tied to the design. But very obviously, a great design can be poorly produced. I've heard good things about the Flex case, so hopefully that is true. You gotta make a new thread on here with some HQ pics and words of wisdom on that thang when you get it.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Ahh yes, very true. Well at least mainly by "BumperGuru's" account on the flaws of bumpers seems mainly tied to the design. But very obviously, a great design can be poorly produced. I've heard good things about the Flex case, so hopefully that is true. You gotta make a new thread on here with some HQ pics and words of wisdom on that thang when you get it.

Will definitely do that.

KeithLilja

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
The interesting thing is that those two bumper from the link above PROVE that the parts exist for a black on black thin bumper (again I have only ever received a white on grey and white on clear one).

My theory is that the lower quality junk is cheaper than the higher quality better fitting and thinner bumper so sellers always order the cheap junk in colors like black and white, unless it's not offered in a certain color, like blue on black or black on green.

I don't know if this is one (ebay link below and in youtube review description) of the ones you have already tried out, or if you have seen this one, but I saw the linked review below for it on you tube a week back and was sold! At the time I bought it I didn't know there was so much difference between the bumpers as far as the size goes and about the "good" ones having plastic around the lightning port, but it appears that this one is one of the "good" ones and you can get it in whatever color you want (i.e. all black). I have found two other members on here that have them and say the fit is amazing and better than Apples OEM iP4/s bumper. Might be worth checking out. Here is the link to the review and the ebay link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnP7RzyFPkA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorful-Bumper-Case-Plastic-TPU-Frame-Cover-Metal-Button-For-iPhone-5-5G-Film-/120987294414#

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I went ahead and ordered two of the black ones, less than $10 shipped. I'll review them once I get them. They appear to be to correct high quality slim version (based on the pic of the blue version which has plastic around the lightning port, a unique feature of the slim high quality version).

That looks identical to the Photive Hybrid case.

The Photive Hybrid case was one of the first cases I got. It went straight into the trash.

#1 It was thick and large
#2 It fit very tightly because it was designed poorly and does not contour to the bezel but just relies on pressure and deforming to stay on, which offers much less protection than a contoured case as there is only one point of contact instead of a large area - clearly it was designed without ever having the device in hand which also makes it hard to remove.
#3 The buttons were made of rubber which feels much cheaper than the metal like buttons they normally use on Apple style bumpers.
#4 the buttons were too small and difficult to use because they were rubber and not solid material so they cave in.
#5 the cut out for the bottom was just a big ugly slot, they clearly threw the design together based on preliminary specs without ever seeing the phone and the lower opening seems like they tried to approximate what they say in photos instead of contouring it tightly to the phone.

The Photive Hybrid case was just hacked together, a lot of people like it because the buttons are the same color as the bumper which matches the phone, which is why I plan to paint my metal buttons. :)
Cellairis/Noot.

I'm with you, Monoprice, Photive, Poetic, all fail.

See my thread here.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16024003/

http://www.amazon.com/noot®-iPhone-Bumper-Case-Packaging/dp/B009GLFT78

ynejanag.jpg

Black/Black is not made. I got a Black/Orange Cellairis, and a Black/clear Noot.

41z-L04rnAL._SS400_.jpg

Last edited:

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
You cannot design a bumper case that will work with the lightning to 30 pin adapter. It would require warping the fabric of space.

On launch day several manufacturers released bumpers with massive slits at the bottom of the phone because they did not know how the port layout of the phone would work. These bumpers with massive slits that leave the bottom fully exposed are NOT compatible with the Lightning to 30 pin adapter, but are that way to rush the product to market. I have a few of those bumpers and they are shoddily designed and should be avoided.

The lightning adapter is as thick as the metal band before the chamfer so you just cannot design a bumper that will work with it (unless you get very creative with the design).

If you need to use the adapter you can:

1) get a bumper that comes on and off easily
2) get a lightning extension cable
3) get a snap on case like the incase snap:

Wewll that is a shame, i need to use the adapter with my car hookup, and i wanted to use a bumber with my 5 :(

Case1449

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
Radiating, we've reached out to another supplier and may have a case for you to test out in about a week or 2. I sent over your descriptions and they feel they have exactly what you described will let you know when they arrive. If they matched up, as we stated earlier on, we'll send ya a free one.

KeithLilja

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Radiating, we've reached out to another supplier and may have a case for you to test out in about a week or 2. I sent over your descriptions and they feel they have exactly what you described will let you know when they arrive. If they matched up, as we stated earlier on, we'll send ya a free one.

Now that's customer service! If you need an additional tester let me know!:D

Case1449

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
Now that's customer service! If you need an additional tester let me know!:D

Thank you. At this time we do not need any testers. Radiating was our first dissatisfied customer, and we feel that 1 customer being unhappy with their order is 1 too many.

Plus, as everyone who has read this thread can attest to, he has gone above and beyond in explaining the difference between all the Bumpers for sale online.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
When I first started reading this thread I thought it was a joke but ya'll are serious! You're fussing about a 1mm difference in thickness? Are you SERIOUS? Get a life, go out, enjoy your phone. 1mm ain't gonna kill ya! LMAO!

KeithLilja

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Thank you. At this time we do not need any testers. Radiating was our first dissatisfied customer, and we feel that 1 customer being unhappy with their order is 1 too many.

Plus, as everyone who has read this thread can attest to, he has gone above and beyond in explaining the difference between all the Bumpers for sale online.

I know I know, I totally agree. Just had to throw it out there though haha You never know what you can get if you don't ask. I would like to be updated and to hear about these new bumpers you will be possibly getting in and if they are the real deal though. If they are, you got yourself another customer.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
When I first started reading this thread I thought it was a joke but ya'll are serious! You're fussing about a 1mm difference in thickness? Are you SERIOUS? Get a life, go out, enjoy your phone. 1mm ain't gonna kill ya! LMAO!

No. Just no. If he was complaining about 1mm and doing nothing about it, maybe. But this man is making a contribution to MacRumors, and many of us want the absolute best for our expensive iPhones. You are the one that needs to get a life.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
No. Just no. If he was complaining about 1mm and doing nothing about it, maybe. But this man is making a contribution to MacRumors, and many of us want the absolute best for our expensive iPhones. You are the one that needs to get a life.

He's spent $160 over 1mm! Yes, that is crazy. The terms OCD and needs psychological help come to mind.......

I have a very good life, thank you very much. I have an awesome phone that I enjoy using every day with my Incipio case that I spent $20 on. I couldn't begin to tell you how many millimeters thick it is and honestly, I couldn't care less!

Started reading the thread and thought it was a joke. IT'S 1MM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
He's spent $160 over 1mm! Yes, that is crazy. The terms OCD and needs psychological help come to mind.......

I have a very good life, thank you very much. I have an awesome phone that I enjoy using every day with my Incipio case that I spent $20 on. I couldn't begin to tell you how many millimeters thick it is and honestly, I couldn't care less!

Cry some more, please.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Dude, I am entitled to my opinion! Last time I checked it's a free country, I can post whatever I want so long as I don't infringe on anyone else's rights. If you don't like it then don't read, this discourse is ridiculous. I made a simple observation. I enjoy reading the forums and laughing at the trolls, I don't even know how I ended up in the accessory forum but I honest to goodness thought that this was a joke. I'm trying to understand why you would spend $160 over 1mm, it makes no sense to me! Definitely not crying over anything, no skin off my back either way, just puzzled. :rolleyes:

KeithLilja

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
cry some more, please.

dude, i am entitled to my opinion! Last time i checked it's a free country, i can post whatever i want so long as i don't infringe on anyone else's rights. If you don't like it then don't read, this discourse is ridiculous. I made a simple observation. I enjoy reading the forums and laughing at the trolls, i don't even know how i ended up in the accessory forum but i honest to goodness thought that this was a joke. I'm trying to understand why you would spend $160 over 1mm, it makes no sense to me! Definitely not crying over anything, no skin off my back either way, just puzzled. :rolleyes:

battle royale!

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Dude, I am entitled to my opinion! Last time I checked it's a free country, I can post whatever I want so long as I don't infringe on anyone else's rights. If you don't like it then don't read, this discourse is ridiculous. I made a simple observation. I enjoy reading the forums and laughing at the trolls, I don't even know how I ended up in the accessory forum but I honest to goodness thought that this was a joke. I'm trying to understand why you would spend $160 over 1mm, it makes no sense to me! Definitely not crying over anything, no skin off my back either way, just puzzled. :rolleyes:

Troll much? Likewise if you aren't interested in the thread topic or you find it of no use to you, then follow your own advice and "don't read" or move along. If someone wants to spend n number of dollars it's their money, not yours. The classic definition of troll was just displayed by your post.

And btw, yes people care about the 1mm just for the fact all of us with iPhones 5's bought it for many reasons, one of which is how light and thin the phone is. Some people (including myself) just want minimal protection for the phone and 1mm can (and does) make a difference when holding and using a device on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011

Right so it's not a 1mm difference we're talking about:

- It's a 1.25mm difference, that is ONE SIXTH the height of the phone.
- The non-slim ones to not fit well, are too tight and you have to squeeze them on.
- The non-slim ones do not contour to the phone but are pressure fitted this offers less protection than a contoured bumper which distributes the force evenly over a large area instead of over a thin edge.
- The non-slim ones have buttons that just plain do not work most of the time in my experience. The slim bumper's buttons work all the time.
- The non-slim ones pull your screen and body protectors off because they are so tight, and cause lifting.

The non-slim bumpers also don't sit flush and look weird, and look like bulky kids toys with the wrong proportions. It's like you took the Apple bumper and inflated it with a tire pump. It looks wrong.

It's a $850 phone (+tax) if you remember, and I sold a few of the bad cases I bought, so I've spent around $100 net. That very reasonable. The slim apple bumper is the only one I like because of it's extreme slim minimalist style and quality and plenty of people spend around $100 on a case.

To put it into perspective, the difference between the slim 9.75mm bumper and the 10.5mm ones are like buying a case for your 13" laptop that works perfectly and one that makes it the size of a 15" laptop (same exact size difference one sixth, 2 inches on a 13" laptop is like 1.25mm on an iPhone 5), makes the power and volume buttons not work most of the time, won't protect it if you drop it as well and pulls your laptops screen protector off every couple of times you take it off or put it on.

If that isn't a huge difference to you then in your own words - maybe you're crazy and need help. :)

I don't know if this is one (ebay link below and in youtube review description) of the ones you have already tried out, or if you have seen this one, but I saw the linked review below for it on you tube a week back and was sold! At the time I bought it I didn't know there was so much difference between the bumpers as far as the size goes and about the "good" ones having plastic around the lightning port, but it appears that this one is one of the "good" ones and you can get it in whatever color you want (i.e. all black). I have found two other members on here that have them and say the fit is amazing and better than Apples OEM iP4/s bumper. Might be worth checking out. Here is the link to the review and the ebay link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorful-Bumper-Case-Plastic-TPU-Frame-Cover-Metal-Button-For-iPhone-5-5G-Film-/120987294414#

I have one of those in the mail, I haven't received it yet. It's worth being careful with these listings because in my experience the seller will try to buy as many colors as possible and only certain colors are available in the "high quality slim" version which is more expensive to buy. So the seller will buy the basic colors like black in the "low quality thick hack job version" and be forced to buy other colors in the high quality version because they don't make a cheaper version.

I will review that one when I get it in the mail though. The red one in the video IS the slim high quality version though so that's very promising. The video is worth watching too.

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

Last edited:

KeithLilja

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Right so it's not a 1mm difference we're talking about:

- It's a 1.25mm difference, that is ONE SIXTH the height of the phone.
- The non-slim ones to not fit well, are too tight and you have to squeeze them on.
- The non-slim ones do not contour to the phone but are pressure fitted this offers less protection than a contoured bumper which distributes the force evenly over a large area instead of over a thin edge.
- The non-slim ones have buttons that just plain do not work most of the time in my experience. The slim bumper's buttons work all the time.
- The non-slim ones pull your screen and body protectors off because they are so tight, and cause lifting.

The non-slim bumpers also don't sit flush and look weird, and look like bulky kids toys with the wrong proportions. It's like you took the Apple bumper and inflated it with a tire pump. It looks wrong.

It's a $850 phone (+tax) if you remember, and I sold a few of the bad cases I bought, so I've spent around $100 net. That very reasonable. The slim apple bumper is the only one I like because of it's extreme slim minimalist style and quality and plenty of people spend around $100 on a case.

To put it into perspective, the difference between the slim 9.75mm bumper and the 10.5mm ones are like buying a case for your 13" laptop that works perfectly and one that makes it the size of a 15" laptop (same exact size difference one sixth, 2 inches on a 13" laptop is like 1.25mm on an iPhone 5), makes the power and volume buttons not work most of the time, won't protect it if you drop it as well and pulls your laptops screen protector off every couple of times you take it off or put it on.

If that isn't a huge difference to you then in your own words - maybe you're crazy and need help. :)

I have one of those in the mail, I haven't received it yet. It's worth being careful with these listings because in my experience the seller will try to buy as many colors as possible and only certain colors are available in the "high quality slim" version which is more expensive to buy. So the seller will buy the basic colors like black in the "low quality thick hack job version" and be forced to buy other colors in the high quality version because they don't make a cheaper version.

I will review that one when I get it in the mail though. The red one in the video IS the slim high quality version though so that's very promising. The video is worth watching too.

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

AWESOME! That gives me a bit more hope! I just bought the bumper purely based on the video review. It looked to fit VERY nicely and the guys comments about it were what sold me. I understand that what might arrive could be completely different than what was shown in that video, but I'm crossing my fingers that it is the same thing because if it is, I'm going to get a couple more. When did you order yours? I ordered mine on Nov. 7th so I'm thinking it should be here sometime next week based on what the guy in the video said.

Oh! Just wondering, but are you using back protectors and/or screen protectors when you are trying the bumpers? Just wondering because I will have both a back skin and a screen protector on mine and just want to make sure that should be viable.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011

FYI just wanted to mention that my order came in. Took 20 days to get here from 10/31 - 11/19

It is NOT the high quality bumper. I received an especially shoddy version of #2 (Chinese manufacturers are well known to release quality products in the first run and then reduce quality and workmanship and change the material to cheaper ones with more filler as production is ramped up, so they can reduce costs and wages to increase profits. This is known as quality fade, which explains the major difference between the first depressed style case I got which fit flawlessly and this one):

2) "10mm depressed style" - 1.0mm front, 1.5mm rear overhang (even spacing from band), 4.5mm wide rubber, Contoured = No, Button fitment = Great

Only received 1 of these out of 24. This one is weird because the edges are not rounded but actually form a ramp between the screen and back and the tops and bottoms of the bumper. Obviously a hack job with no contouring to the phone. I call it the depressed style because the way it touches the screen looks like the rounded edges of a normal bumper were deflated and turned flat.

Dear god it is terrible. Off the charts bad. Like abysmally horrible.

Again I have no doubts that the red version the reviewer received was great, just as my clear and black version of this particular style, but the black version I received is total complete and absolute junk. None of the buttons work, it does not even fit. Worst case I have received period. Worst product I have ever seen. Ever.

IMG-1190.jpg

Dear god it's terrible. The fitment, just wow, it does not fit, and that's after trying to adjust it to fit better for 15 minutes and pulling it on and off several times in disbeleif (Notice that there is no plastic around the lightning port, plastic around the lightning port is only found on the high quality bumpers).

Notice:

1. It's forcing my phone to power off because the case's lock button is broken and is pressing it (tried adjusting to no avail)

2. The insanely terrible finish of the rubber. That gash on the rubber came that way, and there are more where that came from. And the flashing on the rubber is really bad.

IMG-1189.jpg

Dear god, the volume buttons. Terrible doesn't even describe them. What were they thinking?

IMG-1188.jpg

Last edited:

KeithLilja

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
FYI just wanted to mention that my order came in. Took 20 days to get here from 10/31 - 11/19

It is NOT the high quality bumper. I received an especially shoddy version of #2 (Chinese manufacturers are well known to release quality products in the first run and then reduce quality and workmanship and change the material to cheaper ones with more filler as production is ramped up, so they can reduce costs and wages to increase profits. This is known as quality fade, which explains the major difference between the first depressed style case I got which fit flawlessly and this one):

2) "10mm depressed style" - 1.0mm front, 1.5mm rear overhang (even spacing from band), 4.5mm wide rubber, Contoured = No, Button fitment = Great

Only received 1 of these out of 24. This one is weird because the edges are not rounded but actually form a ramp between the screen and back and the tops and bottoms of the bumper. Obviously a hack job with no contouring to the phone. I call it the depressed style because the way it touches the screen looks like the rounded edges of a normal bumper were deflated and turned flat.

Dear god it is terrible. Off the charts bad. Like abysmally horrible.

Again I have no doubts that the red version the reviewer received was great, just as my clear and black version of this particular style, but the black version I received is total complete and absolute junk. None of the buttons work, it does not even fit. Worst case I have received period. Worst product I have ever seen. Ever.

Dear god it's terrible. The fitment, just wow, it does not fit, and that's after trying to adjust it to fit better for 15 minutes and pulling it on and off several times in disbeleif (Notice that there is no plastic around the lightning port, plastic around the lightning port is only found on the high quality bumpers).

Notice:

1. It's forcing my phone to power off because the case's lock button is broken and is pressing it (tried adjusting to no avail)

2. The insanely terrible finish of the rubber. That gash on the rubber came that way, and there are more where that came from. And the flashing on the rubber is really bad.

Dear god, the volume buttons. Terrible doesn't even describe them. What were they thinking?

..............................................................what. is. that?

KeithLilja

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
You know, when I bought this thing, i was thinking, "even if it turns out to be not that great, no big deal, it was only 4 bucks". But now after seeing that train wreck, I feel like I was pick-pocketed.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
i'm also looking for a thin all black bumper with metal buttons. Anyone know where to get one? I am using the Photive bumper right now, although I like it, I wish buttons are better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.