Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
A suggestion.

Apple has a Feedback page to submit ideas to Apple for their products.

I guess this is a perfect time to submit those ideas way before the OS update..

But I would make sure the ideas are clearly worded, keep in mind that just ranting doesn't help, and making sure that the ideas don't slow down the system, bloat it too much and is something feasible.

Who knows, they might add it.

McreativeH

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
United Kingdom
My iPad and iPhone are primarily communication and media consumption devices. My Mac is used primarily used for work, video editing, word processing, and picture editing.

Until it is feasible and convenient to do all of my work stuff on a tablet or phone, they will remain as toys.

Agreed this is exactly how I work and use my iPhone as a communication device and for music etc. I do have fun on my Mac too but its mainly used for college work

starmelts

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
4739636563_db1b6ddca8_z.jpg

theineffablebob

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
OS XI won't be as cool to say as OSX when it comes out. :(

Next version is gonna be called iOS X.

And it's gonna be for ARM-based notebooks.

And it's gonna be a total redesign.

I wouldn't be surprised if this did happen because Apple is trying so hard to be independent.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I wish Apple would release bigger updates, like they used to, rather than incremental updates. Look no further than the fact that 10.8 came out after 10.7.4, remember the days... Tiger made it all the way to 10.4.11 even after Leopard came out.

They saw themselves hitting a plateau and said as much years back when they announced they'd do updates as they've come out.

What feature can anyone really think of that's going to be revolutionary at this point? Heck, they retooled expose 9 million times more than necessary....

I think Apple's next big thing will resemble something along the lines of windows 8, which irks me, because how did microsoft beat them to market with an os of that nature?? I'm over ios throwing up on osx.... just merge them already

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
the reason power nap only works on solid state memory is because it wouldnt be quiet and your computer wouldn't be "sleeping" if the drive was spinning all night doing updates.....

Only solid state memory, you say? Well, it just so happens that all of my Macs all have SSDs inside.

I'd honestly rather not use Power Nap, I'd rather have control over what happens on my system. But just for the sake of discussion... any other reasons Apple would hold back? Perhaps... artificial limitations?

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I am too, but didn't they merely rename "Save As" to "Duplicate"?
They function differently, at least when I tried on 10.8.1.

Say I open a file called “Original.txt” in TextEdit and delete a few paragraphs. If I hit “Duplicate” and save it as “Modified.txt”, the result will be that both “Original.txt” and “Modified.txt” get saved as the modified version, with the paragraphs deleted. The original is no longer how it was.

Or suppose I insert a read-only CD and open a picture in Preview. Let’s say the picture needs to be rotated 90°, so I rotate it. Then I want to save it into the Pictures folder on my hard drive. On 10.8, Preview first tries to save over the original, and when that fails because it is read-only, it aborts and refuses to save the new version at all.

Essentially, the difference is that the old way you can make all the edits you want in RAM, and then when you are done you can decide whether or not to save the result. But the new way, you have to decide ahead of time whether you might possible want to save a new version, and make a duplicate on the hard drive before you even start editing.

aggri1

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
...Or suppose I insert a read-only CD and open a picture in Preview. Let’s say the picture needs to be rotated 90°, so I rotate it. Then I want to save it into the Pictures folder on my hard drive. On 10.8, Preview first tries to save over the original, and when that fails because it is read-only, it aborts and refuses to save the new version at all.
Are you serious? You can't save with a new name/location an edited file which is read-only on disk? That's so unbelievably stupid! What happens then? You just lose what you've done even though it's right there in front of you?

Long live 10.6!

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if this did happen because Apple is trying so hard to be independent.

yuck . . . .

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Say I open a file called “Original.txt” in TextEdit and delete a few paragraphs. If I hit “Duplicate” and save it as “Modified.txt”, the result will be that both “Original.txt” and “Modified.txt” get saved as the modified version, with the paragraphs deleted. The original is no longer how it was.

Dang....

I always thought "Duplicate" meant it duplicated the origional, therefore, when yu save the duplicate, you leave the origional unmodifird.

As least, thats how i understood it. apple has weird ways for saving stuff.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

Or suppose I insert a read-only CD and open a picture in Preview. Let’s say the picture needs to be rotated 90°, so I rotate it. Then I want to save it into the Pictures folder on my hard drive. On 10.8, Preview first tries to save over the original, and when that fails because it is read-only, it aborts and refuses to save the new version at all.

Essentially, the difference is that the old way you can make all the edits you want in RAM, and then when you are done you can decide whether or not to save the result. But the new way, you have to decide ahead of time whether you might possible want to save a new version, and make a duplicate on the hard drive before you even start editing.

Oh man, that's terrible. Whose idea was that?! According to this article, they didn't have Save As in Lion but brought it back in Mtn Lion, but there's some caveat:

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/29/get-save-as-back-on-mountain-lions-file-menu-easily-and-without/

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
OS X + I OS = OS XI.
We will see a unified OS XI, done!

Why do so many people want this?

It's pretty much what Microsoft have done with Windows 8 and it's received huge criticism! AHHHH.

----------

iOS X implies it's the tenth version iOS.

iOS is a slimmed down, touch version of OS X. Why would you want to loose all of the advantages of OS X just so all your Apple products run the same software?

I can see them working together, and becoming more and more similar, but really? Every WWDC are we going to see the new iOS software that runs on EVERYTHING?

----------

I hope OS X 10.9 is to OS X what the rMBP is to Mac. Amazing. Future proof. Professional.

Maybe not expensive though.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Those days were fun.

They were....I remember the big "X" on the retail first retail versions of OSX, and all the fun with dramatic leaps forward...Seems stale now, as we mover ever closer to total IOS integration, things we can all see coming, It would be nice to have a really new set of groundbreaking features...Really interesting stuff to talk about. I can't see it though.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
All I'm hoping for is that this stuff is gone in 10.9!

Why? You don't have to use those features... Calendar and Notes are actually really useful, especially when kept in sync via iCloud.

I understand if all OS X 10.9 did was add more features like this, it would be disappointing, but why take away features?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.